COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Is that a shiny I see in the desert?!

It’s time to s h i n e , Elyrians! And there’s a lot to talk about, so before I show you something shiny, let’s chat!

As many of you are probably aware, the team here is generally split up into groups by focus area. The three guilds of Design, Engineering, and Content work on the game, and the Outreach guild generally handles the website, announcements, community management; that sort of thing. You might think that means the poor outreach team is always all alone but there’s often at least some small amount of crossover between all the teams. Domain and Settlement Selection (DSS) is definitely one of those times. In fact, it might be the most ambitious crossover yet.

Developing the DSS experience has involved literally every team to one extent or another over the weeks we’ve been working on it. That has a lot to do with the fact that the centerpiece of DSS is the world maps, which are a core piece of the CoE experience as well. Literally every mechanic and system a player has access to is influenced by – and influences – the world and its state. Survival depends on consumables like crops, fish, and other game, while industry depends on the material resources both on the surface and below it. Even the placement of settlements is influenced by the lay of the land, those resources I mentioned, and the environmental factors of each biome. It’s safe to say that if the map isn’t right, CoE must work a hell of a lot harder to provide players with the experience we envision.

Which means that, whether we’re talking about carefully guiding the process that generates the peaks, valleys, bogs, and other features of Elyria or defining the rules that dictate where certain resources can be found, every team has a stake in the maps, and every team has a role to play in how they’re produced… but you know, that doesn’t mean that we have complete control over the maps, either.

We started this process by taking one hand off the wheel when we put which maps would be produced into your hands with map voting. But even our other hand is only lightly holding the wheel, ready to nudge it one direction or another as the mechanics and simulations we’ve created mold the world.

As a designer who’s built half a dozen worlds, I have to say that I find this process a little harrowing. I’m very much used to meticulously and carefully preplanning everything and then crawling through every square meter of land to make sure that everything is placed just right down to the angle of each flowering forb as it pokes out of the earth. But, here we build daemons and they crawl the world for us, doing the work.

As a case in point: in one step of the process of world creation every parcel of land is analyzed, compared to its neighbors, the biome, the overall pattern of weather, and the water table to determine what sort of surface resources and soil types are found there. I had an image in my mind of what our rules would do and, sure enough, as I looked through the results for each biome, things were falling into my expectations. That is, until I got to the semi-arid desert. The semi-arid desert, at least on the test world I was using at the time, came back as one of the most valuable pieces of land in Elyria. That, in turn, influences the migration model, which suddenly saw a desert full of people who wanted to live there.

Why did it come back so valuable? Care to guess? It’s a funny story, actually. You can grow fungi in caves, and we wanted a lot of caves in the desert. We didn’t really intend those caves to be particularly great for that purpose, but the surface weather conditions weren’t being factored into that. So, like a weird and not really all that accurate reference to Dune, our desert could teem with free Menn, if you knew how to live there. Fixing it was relatively simple, but if we hadn’t been watching our daemons work, we might not have seen it happening.

Like a tesla driver engaging autopilot, you can’t look away or take your hand completely off the wheel, because at any moment in the process you may need to make a correction. As a designer working on the DSS process, that’s something I’m keenly aware of, but I admit that it’s a totally different emotional experience than I’m used to with world building. It’s scary and I bet that if you’re not bringing your A game to the process, it would be easy to get lost in everything happening all around you, as you hover your hands over the wheel.

And, speaking of getting lost in the semi-arid desert, that brings me to today’s shiny! I realize it's been a bit since we've shown off something from inside the game itself, so let’s change that. Enjoy a quick stroll through the semi-arid desert:

• Snipehunter
5/20/2019 7:05:36 PM #91

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 10:53 AM - Mon May 20 2019 >

If that last assertion is true, wouldn't it mean that you do already have a metric ton of art/effects/environment elements already done? And thus, could you not show us a lot more of prelyria for basically no additional work?

We don't really like pulling in a bunch of placeholders from outside. We do it from time to time where it makes sense, but generally speaking it doesn't actually save you any time, because none of those assets are actually built to comply with CoE constraints/needs, meaning they all have to be hand adjusted by an artist anyway. At this level of fidelity, the time necessary to tweak an external asset to fit is about the same as the time necessary to build one, so unless there's very little tweaking to be done with an external asset, there's really no point in spending money to acquire it and then spending money to modify it when it'd be cheaper to just make the low-fidelity placeholder in-house. Even if it just saves $20, that's $20 we can use to keep the lights on, so to speak -- wasting it doesn't do us any good, but someday that $20 could be a life or death savings. To have it and not need it, and all that.

As for what we have to show vs. what we don't: There are lots of thing going on right now, so in theory there's lots we can show, but our focus is on implementing and building mechanic. That means that all the assets we have are generally in service of that goal. Basically, some stuff shows better than others.

Not gonna lie though: I write the shinies, so what gets shown is often as much about what I happened to be working on that week as it is about what's going to look good. I've been told by members of the community countless times that they'd rather I talk shop than just see a shiny, so that's been my focus for the last couple of months. Sometimes that means a gif or a video but, outside my role as lead designer, I'm primarily a systems designer, so sometimes that means a flow chart or the output of a tool I've custom written to run a simulation and generate metadata that is used by the backend systems of the game. Folks have been pretty critical of showing eye candy in the past, so unless it's explicitly asked for, like the architecture concepts, I'm trying to stay away from showing something just because it looks cool. I want something cool that fits the work i'm doing, but I'll settle for something that just fits the work I'm doing if "something cool" doesn't quite apply.

I see the thursday shinies as a way to update everyone on what's going on with my side of the house, so to speak, and I show what's germane to that.

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 10:58 AM - Mon May 20 2019

Isn't the whole art right now just a placeholder? Or you mean "indicative of the final display" of the ph itself? Or do you mean that towards the final final display?

Just trying to wrap my head around this whole client deal here :) Thanks in advance.

In this particular case I mean, "Yeah, so when I implemented the HUD, we didn't have any art assets for it, so I just opened up photoshop and threw together some imagery that kind of fit into the overall UI layout design so that I could demonstrate that the display works and move on to implementing other functionality." - It's literally just a functional placeholder with no thought towards overall aesthetic other than "this fits where the widget will really go." It may not even be the right size for the intended alpha-final UI styling, since I literally just eyeballed it.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
5/20/2019 7:48:36 PM #92

Posted By Snipehunter at 8:05 PM - Mon May 20 2019

Hope that helps! :)

As always, it certainly does :)

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 08:42 AM - Mon May 20 2019

Thanks for sharing, Snipe.

Sorry if missed something, but wasn't the game developed on UE4? These screens don't look much like what we saw in public 2 years ago.

Caspian goes into depth on the reason for moving from ElyriaMUD>VoxElyria>PreElyria here

I will be playing on Selene (EU) Server
5/20/2019 10:21:08 PM #93

Snipe, again, I just want to chime in and say I have been loving your shinies.

This has been great stuff, keep it up!

Imgur

5/29/2019 2:37:54 AM #94

"Like a tesla driver engaging autopilot, you can’t look away or take your hand completely off the wheel, because at any moment in the process you may need to make a correction. "

Damn Snipe, you are the best. :)

Count of Sigil's Light, oathed to Duke Damius Kymerion and the Duchy of Thorne

6/1/2019 6:32:58 PM #95

Posted By Snipehunter at

It’s time to s h i n e , Elyrians! And there’s a lot to talk about, so before I show you something shiny, let’s chat!

And, speaking of getting lost in the semi-arid desert, that brings me to today’s shiny! I realize it's been a bit since we've shown off something from inside the game itself, so let’s change that. Enjoy a quick stroll through the semi-arid desert:

<video width='680' controls> <source src="https://cdn.chroniclesofelyria.com/videos/chronicles-of-elyria-pre-alpha-prelyria-sandstorm-demo.mp4" type="video/mp4"> Your browser does not support the video tag. </video>

@Snipehunter Is it possible that SBS will/could release a Single Player 'Preylria' for current & future backers? Or even sale for a small one time fee if needed for the extra project. Pretty sure it would bring in many new backers as low poly graphics seem to be popular currently (Risk of Rain 1&2 in particular) and you can always release the Online CoE later. Of course it shouldn't be on the server selected maps but maybe on the test map shown in the World Generation Demo Shiny?

I think it would sate the anger of those upset with the pushback of estimated dates, bring back excitement for the project and willingness to advertise from backers, and would allow for general bug/graphical testing/reporting.

6/1/2019 6:59:46 PM #96

Excited to play this game! Great job guys.

Chaos Legion Captain of War and Heresy

6/6/2019 11:34:32 AM #97

Hmm hmm...

VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT

6/11/2019 12:52:34 PM #98

I know I likely already commented, aaaand we did a small bit about it in Pirate's Guide to Elyria but...I loved this shiny so much. I think im going to figure out how to make it my desktop.

-Wayland Ade'Braeden, Judicator of IronCall, Tritea Duchy of the High Seas.

Friend Code: 2D1330

"The wave returns to the ocean..."