COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Message to the team

I am writing this from the top of my head rather than pre planned so I hope it comes across as intended rather than a whole lot of mess.

Firstly, my confidence was waning, the reason was constant missed dates and an over reliance on discord for communication, seeing the lead dev in the community discord throughout most of the day (I know this isn't a fact but more of a perception still....)

Recently though my spirits were peaked with the introduction of DS&S, at last I thought, I can start actually planning my settlement in earnest. This was again dashed by a missed deadline.

So that was the negative bit, now for how my head is on the project at present. I scan through discord and see that the team are quieter, whilst this interaction will be missed by the community, it gives me great confidence that the team is working as hard as possible to get the work done.
The removal of dates from DS&S means that no more will confidence get knocked and whilst we all know its around the corner and some people are itching to see it, this is a much better situation imho.
It also seems the team have listened to the community, we don't need things dangling like a carrot, sometimes a simple design journal written by snipe on the current process of the map generation, or some peaks into combat are a much incentivising than a date.

So I wish to say in earnest, thank you for listening, thank you for the hard work, and please snipe keep the journals like these coming:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30921/meanwhile-back-in-the-lab-combat-technique-design

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31535/shiny-time-making-the-maps-part-3

5/28/2019 3:29:19 PM #1

It's certainly a big catch-22 for the devs. If they are around to answer questions and talk about the project, people complain they aren't working hard enough. When they buckle down to get things completed, people complain they aren't communicating. When they give release dates, people complain when they aren't met. When they don't give release dates, people complain when they don't know when things will be happening. Thanks for being understanding of the team.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

5/31/2019 2:48:12 AM #2

Posted By BioRules at 08:29 AM - Tue May 28 2019

It's certainly a big catch-22 for the devs. If they are around to answer questions and talk about the project, people complain they aren't working hard enough. When they buckle down to get things completed, people complain they aren't communicating. When they give release dates, people complain when they aren't met. When they don't give release dates, people complain when they don't know when things will be happening. Thanks for being understanding of the team.

You seem to be implying we have no right to be touchy about them missing dates. They have only ever hit dates relating to sales. They consistently miss development dates. So yes they need to be caned for that. They finally learned to not give dates, but lest we forget, original projection for DSS is way behind, and they flat out lied about its state of progress at the end of the last year. It is a tough spot, but they did this to themselves.

Count of Raberre's Rest

5/31/2019 2:56:56 AM #3

Posted By Ser Long at 7:48 PM - Thu May 30 2019

You seem to be implying we have no right to be touchy about them missing dates. They have only ever hit dates relating to sales. They consistently miss development dates. So yes they need to be caned for that. They finally learned to not give dates, but lest we forget, original projection for DSS is way behind, and they flat out lied about its state of progress at the end of the last year. It is a tough spot, but they did this to themselves.

Doesnt seem like Bio is saying people should or shouldn't get angry or complain about these things... just that people complain about them.

5/31/2019 5:56:14 AM #4

Posted By Jarri at 8:56 PM - Thu May 30 2019

Posted By Ser Long at 7:48 PM - Thu May 30 2019

Doesnt seem like Bio is saying people should or shouldn't get angry or complain about these things... just that people complain about them.

Indeed. Do what you like, think what you like, just recognize that the devs are human, imperfect, and will leave a majority of people angry regardless of anything they do.

Taking my own advice, I will sit back and watch what happens, thinking they are only human like me, and will play the game when it comes out.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

6/1/2019 10:53:48 PM #5

Posted By Ser Long at 8:48 PM - Thu May 30 2019

I've followed a few MMOs from alpha through release over the years. I can't recall a single one that didn't consistently miss development dates. Every single one had to weigh the developer's dilemma of when to settle for a workable game that fell short of their original aims. The two extremes are 1) rush a game to release to appease fans and publishers, ending up with a disappointing bug-ridden failure, or 2) take too long to perfect the game such that by release all but the most loyal fanbase has moved on to the next shiny MMO. Every successful MMO fell in between these extremes at launch. So, to the fans I'd say, be patient, you don't want a great concept ruined by rushed development and don't panic bc unforeseen and unintended consequences are part of every game development. To the developers I'd say, be patient, don't worry overmuch about fan angst because you aren't near the point of losing appreciable fan interest and the decibels of discontent are really just an indicator of the level of interest and commitment of your fanbase.

Bloodline De Saidrin. Angelica server. Undecided on Kingdom or Duchy.

6/2/2019 5:28:45 AM #6

Yeah I share this sentiment almost entirely. You've exceeded your parameters yet again Snipehunter! You've given thousands thirsty people a tall glass of water, and for many of us that will sustain us for weeks.

Three cheers for Emperor Snipes, and the SBS team responsible for helping get this information out there.