COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
newspapers?

self-explanatory, but will there be player-run newspapers in-game? to find out about news, advertise, and it seems like it would probably earn a lot of money.
just wondered

Friend code: 26C1D7

6/18/2019 2:45:32 PM #1

I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure there will be. I've seen a lot of post of the years of the interested in the same thing. I'm sure there will be news papers for entertainment purposes but could also be used to communicate to npcs as well.

As for myself, I'm going to be an investigator as a profession and is planning to have a newspaper to assist with my job. My plan is to use a newspaper to communicate to npcs who are criminals so they can point someone if they see it.

6/19/2019 5:53:11 AM #2

It will be interesting to see if characters will pay for newspapers when virtually the same information can be obtained by gossip.

Newspapers came to be in RL when certain historical things made them possible and useful. Moveable type is the obvious technological thing, but there are also more subtle political and social things. We don't know if any or all of those things (or adequate analogs) will have happened in the game by the time of launch.

6/19/2019 7:00:16 AM #3

got to get the tech moving from castle/medieval age to industrial age... also stop people murdering all the trees

6/19/2019 5:25:53 PM #4

I am going to say no for the same reason Newspapers are almost dead IRL. We will be playing the game... internet still exist for us so much like real life, it will be easier to just pop into a forum. Now if you wanted to start and IRL website that works like a newspaper.. that might work.

www.twitch.tv/frosdtimes

6/19/2019 5:39:05 PM #5

There will be forums and wikis in rl, but in game periodicals sound fun. An Elyrian Mad Magazine for instance would be a riot and I would love to be a part of something like that. I think, if mechanically possible, magazines and newspapers would add value to the game.

"There's a lesson here and I'm not going to be the one to figure it out." Rick Snachez

6/19/2019 6:07:56 PM #6

I think there will be local newspapers with job and contract advertisements, gossip and intrigue for the settlement and surrounding area. Anything larger or more important will be probably be online in kingdom/duchy forums and discord servers, so that it can be kept more up to date.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "Bandits on the roads between X and Y, join [local defence discord server] for up-to-date news" in local news papers and billboards.