COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Wells, and how they could work

Recently there was a discussion in the CoE discord that brought up two separate viewpoints on how wells should work. One view was that wells would allow someone to draw water/drink from the well when it is placed outside a settlement, and the wells AOE effect would only work when inside a settlement. The other was that wells would provide that AOE effect regardless of where is was placed. What are the benefits and detriments of both systems and what would you guys prefer to have in game?

Personally, I believe that wells would have their AOE work regardless of it being in a settlement or not, allowing large farms, homesteads etc to get the AOE. It also opens up another route to utilize/research irrigation technology etc

8/11/2019 8:43:16 PM #1

Wanted to add this here for you guys... I presented a question to Snipehunter on this topic. This is discord information so it is always subject to being changed.

Xef Ⓥ⚓Today at 3:35 PM Hey @Snipehunter 🌩, if you have a minute to answer a question.. We talked about Wells and how they worked.. The question was, Do wells give AOE auto drink or is it only Settlements that have that buff?

Snipehunter 🌩Today at 3:37 PM @Xef Ⓥ⚓ Tricky question: wells give an AOE auto-drink, but atm those benefits are only enabled inside settlements. So atm the answer is "only in settlements", but that could change down the line as we continue development.

8/11/2019 8:44:55 PM #2

Awesome that snipe could clarify, thanks Xef:)

8/11/2019 9:04:48 PM #3

More information that could be useful in this thread.. And.. This is also from discord... so it is subject to change.

Mayor Dracokalen®Today at 3:59 PM @Snipehunter 🌩 So, at what point does a player made hamlet+ become a settlement?

Snipehunter 🌩Today at 4:01 PM @Mayor Dracokalen® Officially? or Mechanically? Officially a settlement isn't "a settlement" until it's registered with the count. But mechanically a hamlet is a hamlet as soon as you build the necessary resources and the folks there agree to make it a hamlet. (This is done by signing a charter contract, iirc.)

8/12/2019 12:39:01 AM #4

What I would like to see is an area of effect around wells that passively maintains your water level, and requiring you to take a drink once in a while to increase the level back to max. But the well should also provide a source of water for crafting and other uses like watering your plants or cattle.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

8/12/2019 12:51:51 AM #5

The wells give you that AoE if you are inside settlements and within the range of the well

8/12/2019 4:21:46 AM #6

There is a serious problem with enabling certain AOEs intended for settlements outside the settlement. It is that individuals and forces overtly hostile to the settlement would be aided by the settlement's own defensive infrastructure. Wells and taverns, while not overtly defensive in nature, are nonetheless implicitly so because they can enable settlement inhabitants to thrive even when the settlement is blockaded or besieged. If the AOE applies outside the settlement, the settlement's enemies would be sustained in the same way by settlement infrastructure that is intended to provide residents an advantage over outsiders, especially enemies.

8/12/2019 7:04:50 PM #7

Definitely agree with you there Poldano

Out of Strife, Prosperity

Friend code: A45E7E

8/12/2019 11:31:08 PM #8

Another thing to add polando is that say the Tavern AoE works at the start of a siege, if the tavern is not supplied during the siege because the settlement ran out of food then it will no longer work, I hope

8/13/2019 12:23:55 AM #9

Posted By LordMayorMatt at 6:31 PM - Mon Aug 12 2019

Another thing to add polando is that say the Tavern AoE works at the start of a siege, if the tavern is not supplied during the siege because the settlement ran out of food then it will no longer work, I hope

It has been stated that you will have to have food in your storage for the buff to work..

On a side note: I think that the AOE buffs should only work within Settlements.. It helps enforce the need for people to want to make a settlement. And it also makes having a settlement much more valuable.

8/13/2019 12:44:11 AM #10

i think they should only work to members of the settlement but in AOE range, so if your sieging the town it wont apply because your not a member of the settlement but if your a farmer outside but within range it would still apply to you for being part of the settlement

8/13/2019 1:32:35 AM #11

Posted By Levald at 7:44 PM - Mon Aug 12 2019

i think they should only work to members of the settlement but in AOE range, so if your sieging the town it wont apply because your not a member of the settlement but if your a farmer outside but within range it would still apply to you for being part of the settlement

I could be wrong on this, but even within a settlement you may need more than one well to cover all the area with the AOE Buff. I know Snipehunter has said that Wells do have an AOE buff.. And i'm sure that AOE has a circle of influence.

8/13/2019 3:24:00 AM #12

according to DJ #18 (keep in mind this is 3 years old)

wells will cover an area of 3x3 parcels and while you are on that land your thirst will increase but will not reach dehydration. we don't know what exactly that means but i'm guessing you will get some kind of debuff but it wont get to the point where it kills you.

This means that a town could potential get by with only 3 wells since a town only needs to have a minimum of 25 parcels, and you would have to be directly standing on one of those parcels in order to passively avoid becoming dehydrated.

same goes for fatigue which is handled by owning a bed in the settlement. Hunger is handled by that settlement having a tavern and some number of parcels dedicated to farming. This would mean that anyone visiting the town should benefit from the thirst and hunger buffs.

all of this is based on a DJ #18 which is three years old but the devs never gave any newer info on any of this as far as i know.

8/13/2019 6:02:14 AM #13

Posted By Steevo at 10:24 PM - Mon Aug 12 2019

according to DJ #18 (keep in mind this is 3 years old)

wells will cover an area of 3x3 parcels and while you are on that land your thirst will increase but will not reach dehydration. we don't know what exactly that means but i'm guessing you will get some kind of debuff but it wont get to the point where it kills you.

This means that a town could potential get by with only 3 wells since a town only needs to have a minimum of 25 parcels, and you would have to be directly standing on one of those parcels in order to passively avoid becoming dehydrated.

same goes for fatigue which is handled by owning a bed in the settlement. Hunger is handled by that settlement having a tavern and some number of parcels dedicated to farming. This would mean that anyone visiting the town should benefit from the thirst and hunger buffs.

all of this is based on a DJ #18 which is three years old but the devs never gave any newer info on any of this as far as i know.

Thanks for the info Steevo :)

8/13/2019 7:09:03 AM #14

Posted By LordMayorMatt at 4:31 PM - Mon Aug 12 2019

I agree.

8/13/2019 7:33:05 AM #15

Posted By Levald at 02:44 AM - Tue Aug 13 2019

I hope during a siege the tavern owner or mayor can ration the food

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX