COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
River Connections

I know based on how the river runs it may not be easy to see how wide it is represented to be, however I have a question regarding bodies of water being connected in higher elevation. If you look at Vornair-Fawnhome-Watchcorner, there's a lot of environment goodness. There are 3 biomes meeting here, Alpine Tundra, Lower Montane and Mixed Forest. Should one assume the flow of the water being downhill as they do, is the area in the middle a confluence of multiple streams or are those meant to be four separate bodies of water?

Image from Gyazo

8/19/2019 3:11:38 AM #1

That's a hard one to call, Marmet. The downhill flow definitely would bring them all together to continue flowing south, but because of the way the water's rendered there, I couldn't guarantee that's the case, sorry. :(

Edit: I do strongly suspect that's the case, but I lack the ability to check at the moment, so again, no guarantees. :(

• Snipehunter
8/19/2019 3:12:56 AM #2

One would assume they flow downward as South and West would/should be lower elevation, but I figured it might just be a rendering issue. No worries, thanks Snipe.

8/19/2019 3:30:02 AM #3

It really probably is a rendering issue with the water. The water renderer isn't perfect, and it definitely does get weird under certain conditions, especially if it ever gets shallow while still having a strong flow, or vice versa where a fast moving flow of water suddenly slows down and starts to fan out, either of which might be going on with those hill just north of the town. That's why I suspect strongly it's a rendering glitch. It's just that I can't verify and don't want to mislead. :(

• Snipehunter
8/19/2019 3:36:57 AM #4

No worries. It can be a secret underwater lake.

8/19/2019 3:49:29 AM #5

This seems to follow in what you said about rendering when there are shallow but strong flow. As you would expect, flowing down a mountain would be a good flow but not that deep, this area seems to convey that.

Image from Gyazo

8/22/2019 4:20:02 AM #6

If all the water from 4 sources flow to the South, it will be a lot of water in that area which might be true base on geological survey on features and profession of that area.

From the look in the map, I think the river on the East side might mostly go East and form a lake there on the lower land on the East or might make more sense if it connect to the river in the country of Broadgull Corner in the far East and then flow southward there.

The river on North East also might just go North East as the mountain range is its starting point or it is a canyon area and the river just go through it from North East to South West as you can see in the map that the river has fan out into multiple stream there suggest that there are a lot of water flowing in that area and it either flowing fast from North East or accumulating from many streams in that mountain range but base on the map geology it is more likely to be the former.

Plan to be just an explorer and trader, will most likely be Jenoan in fourth kingdom of OCE server

8/22/2019 4:53:03 AM #7

Posted By Marmet at

I know based on how the river runs it may not be easy to see how wide it is represented to be, however I have a question regarding bodies of water being connected in higher elevation. If you look at Vornair-Fawnhome-Watchcorner, there's a lot of environment goodness. There are 3 biomes meeting here, Alpine Tundra, Lower Montane and Mixed Forest. Should one assume the flow of the water being downhill as they do, is the area in the middle a confluence of multiple streams or are those meant to be four separate bodies of water?

Image from Gyazo

I suspect you just found a secret swamp.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands