COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Concerned with the Lack of Defensive settlements

So the map is now public, Yay.

First off I understand, I can turn any settlement into a defensive settlement. I am however concerned with the severe lack of them on the kingdom borders in pretty much every kingdom of every map. (there are exceptions of course but not many). Has Elyria developed in a way that the kingdoms don't have any conflict? Cause even if that were the case I would think that there would be a higher concentration of defensive settlements near the kingdom borders. at least maybe 1-2 per duchy that is on a border.

And If what we see is the final map for choices. Can we at least have the itemized list of the EP kits so that we know what we need to purchase with EP to turn a settlement into a defensive one. Example, is one defensive kit enough for a Duchy? Or do we need to get more to supplement the kit.

8/21/2019 2:04:55 AM #1

This is the final choice, so yes EP will have to be used to change settlements.

Iirc there was a defence kit which gave walls and a few watch towers.

8/21/2019 7:14:22 AM #2

That was not all of what I asked, i understand that i would have to spend money at this point cause SBS only listens to people who spend enough money. All i want at this point is an itemized list of what comes in that Defensive kit which for those wondering is this

Defense Kits: 325 EP These kits are designed to add a small number of defenses to a settlement in the form of a large amount of fencing and a couple of lookout towers. These are sufficient for basic defense of inner settlements, but not for baronies. Fencing is generally around 10 EP for 32m of fencing, plus 25-50 EP for the lookout towers.

Now take note, it is NOT sufficient for Baronies. The other kit for defense like object is this one.

Military Kits: 10,000 EP The military kit includes defensive structures such as ramparts and castles, as well as siege equipment such as trebuchet, catapults, etc. Individual items range from several hundred to several thousand EP

now that is alot of EP, $800 worth with the sale. This kit is meant for the whole kingdom? or whole duchy? or what? this is something we need to know. Simple as that.

8/21/2019 7:30:35 AM #3

Military kit is meant for the whole duchy. How much it gives, yeah anyone guess there. I had hoped for more forts myself. But what can you do.

8/21/2019 7:36:00 AM #4

Posted By Tygger at 02:14 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

Military Kits: 10,000 EP The military kit includes defensive structures such as ramparts and castles, as well as siege equipment such as trebuchet, catapults, etc. Individual items range from several hundred to several thousand EP

now that is alot of EP, $800 worth with the sale. This kit is meant for the whole kingdom? or whole duchy? or what? this is something we need to know. Simple as that.

well the military kit says that it gives castles (plural) that should already tell you that its well beyond the scope of what a settlement or even a county would have. Also you actually have to be at least a duke in order to purchase that kit.

maybe the devs will think about having a single castle that a count could purchase for like 2500 ep but for now that is not the case.

also keep in mind that a castle is the highest tier a barony can be, its the military equivalent to a capital size city.

8/21/2019 7:36:52 AM #5

I think the military kits are meant for an entire duchy, or at least not for a single barony. Note that the kit contains "castles" and not "a castle". I agree with you that it's really impossible to start planning without more details.

I don't think baron players are meant to fund all of their necessary defenses by themselves. The reason they sign a contract with a duke is that the duke is supposed to pay for the jobs he's contracting the barons to do. Of course that's only my current opinion, but I've based it on careful reading.

8/21/2019 7:45:50 AM #6

Posted By Steevo at 03:36 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

Posted By Tygger at 02:14 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

well the military kit says that it gives castles (plural) that should already tell you that its well beyond the scope of what a settlement or even a county would have. Also you actually have to be at least a duke in order to purchase that kit.

maybe the devs will think about having a single castle that a count could purchase for like 2500 ep but for now that is not the case.

also keep in mind that a castle is the highest tier a barony can be, its the military equivalent to a capital size city.

His Duke is looking to purchase that kit. He is setting himself up to understand it. To help myself and he actually understands this travesty of a trainwreck that we are possibly facing now. How much we going to have to shell out of pocket to feel that our investment is protected.

8/21/2019 7:46:32 AM #7

There may not be high concentrations of defensive settlements on the borders, but it seems more like a problem that could be dealt with by playing the game. It gives the players room to improve the situation once it starts I suppose.

Also static defenses aren't the only thing defending borders. Many of the border counties have 'soldier' in the top 3-4 professions, so the military presence is stronger there than towards the interior (at least in the Janoan territory I've been looking at).

8/21/2019 8:02:06 AM #8

All the Janoan duchies are within the top 4 soldiers. they are very warlike and i understand that.

8/21/2019 8:03:51 AM #9

Posted By Tygger at 04:02 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

All the Janoan duchies are within the top 4 soldiers. they are very warlike and i understand that.

Ha you're right. Went and looked around more, and it seems like they're actually in the top 4 everywhere like you say.

8/21/2019 8:16:28 AM #10

Yea man even if you argue the Dras are not warlike, the Bog biomes have soldier within the top 10 for each duchy, while the Swamp only have 2 duchies, one at 7 and the other at 10...

8/21/2019 12:51:14 PM #11

Guess we can all build our defensiveness in the 3 month world building period. That's what I'll be doing.

I don't know anymore.

8/21/2019 1:00:00 PM #12

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 1:51 PM - Wed Aug 21 2019

Guess we can all build our defensiveness in the 3 month world building period. That's what I'll be doing.

Not to mention the loss-free KoE period before the world-building period where leaders can improve their settlements to earn points - and even if their settlements get taken over they get them back with whatever improvements the conquerors added.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/21/2019 4:56:17 PM #13

Posted By KissShot at 02:46 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

There may not be high concentrations of defensive settlements on the borders, but it seems more like a problem that could be dealt with by playing the game. It gives the players room to improve the situation once it starts I suppose.

Also static defenses aren't the only thing defending borders. Many of the border counties have 'soldier' in the top 3-4 professions, so the military presence is stronger there than towards the interior (at least in the Janoan territory I've been looking at).

Posted By chipla at 08:00 AM - Wed Aug 21 2019

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 1:51 PM - Wed Aug 21 2019

Not to mention the loss-free KoE period before the world-building period where leaders can improve their settlements to earn points - and even if their settlements get taken over they get them back with whatever improvements the conquerors added.

To respond to the OP, ive included the following quotes, The DSS map currently represents the world as it Is BEFORE player interaction. When given access players can reformat anything however they'd like, and packages are the "easy" way of doing something; Not the Only way. Sure you can buy a cart off the shop, but you can also eventually just build one yourself

8/21/2019 5:12:15 PM #14

Yes, yes we can build our forts after we select our areas while you can just build your armies and train your troops. And lets not even talk about an entire biome only have 6 defensive settlements. while some duchies next to said biome have 6 alone.

8/21/2019 5:36:51 PM #15

I have to agree that I'm quite surprised with the lack of defensive structures on borders. In addition there seem to be ones that are in the middle of Duchies that don't make much strategic sense to me. Altogether I'm quite disappointed with the final version of the maps they feel... Incomplete, especially considering how focused on lore and history sbs is.

The idea is for us to be coming into a world that's already existed for hundreds of years, with wars and land disputes, it only makes sense to me that there would be more defensive settlements around from both a historical in game point of view as well as borrowing from real life geographic military examples.