COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How do you guys feel about Auto-Lock

just want to see how many like it and how many don't, I guess we can use the up/down vote feature to see the numbers of for and against it.

8/23/2019 1:26:42 AM #1

Do you mean for combat?

If so, I'm a big NO on that.

8/23/2019 1:28:38 AM #2

yeah for combat, both melee and ranged

8/23/2019 1:39:13 AM #3

I'd say no as well. This game is all about the player skill, be it crafting something unique or being able to dodge your opponent, not locking on and swinging for the bleachers.

Zaldara Blackstan, Count of Stíelanheorte Mayor of Blaecstanbury

8/23/2019 1:41:01 AM #4

i think that it should be up to the user, have a setting in the ui to have it or not, not everyone is here for twitch pvp. I prefer a more casual approach most of the time and I know my wife would be quite upset if she had to defend herself from a twitch pvper in their prefered combat style.

8/23/2019 1:49:04 AM #5

As long as auto-lock doesn't provide any crutches to those who have not built up character skill, I don't much care. I'm not all that fond of "twitch" games. If it's only a method of specifically designating the target that you're going to miss anyway, and keep the friendly-fire casualties among those in proximity to the designated target, what's the problem?

8/23/2019 2:31:39 AM #6

it would depend on implementation for bows it may be ok if it doesnt work well at longer range. in melee it would probably be beneficial to help reduce missing from lag changing angles of where your target is slightly, but in both cases it must be limited to just slightly helpfull otherwise it will remove the skill aspect and become meta required

Friend Code: 6DEF22

8/23/2019 2:44:41 AM #7

Let me tell you about how it works right now:

1) There is no auto lock for archery. There never will be, either.

2) In melee, you currently lock on to a target that is potentially hostile as soon as they come within a certain range of you. You can look quickly left or right to change who you're locked onto if you want.

3) Locking in no way removes the ability, or need, to dodge - when characters move quickly enough, the lock takes a moment to catch up, likewise, when you throw an attack, the adjustment to match you up to the facing of a locked target is practically non-existent, which means that even just sidestepping without actively dodging can throw a target off if your timing is right. (there is some adjustment to face your locked target, but it's in a very small arc, like 2 degrees or something)

4) You only hit if your weapon actually touches the opponent, not their collision box.

Anyway, I don't want to get in the way of the conversation I just figured I'd throw some info in the ring for you all to chew on.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/23/2019 3:10:33 AM #8

thanks for the info snipe, helps clear my concerns

8/23/2019 3:25:11 AM #9

What's the point of the melee lock, then? Slightly confused as to what it does/mean/help in that context.

8/23/2019 3:31:18 AM #10

I think it means that you don't have to actually aim your blows but that the opponent can still get out of the way of your attacks.

Hmm. It's an interesting compromise. It sounds a lot like Dark Souls or Lords of the Fallen, so I might still like that. There's still skill involved but it's not a totally punishing experience.

Was a no-lock option ever considered and/or tested? Just curious.

8/23/2019 4:17:19 AM #11

From the Archery demo I've seen.. it looks like you had to aim.

alt text

8/23/2019 5:11:07 AM #12

Would prefer no auto-lock, but if it is similar to how snipehunter described, I suppose it wouldn't be to bad as an option.

8/23/2019 6:35:37 AM #13

Posted By Hieronymus at 8:31 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

I think it means that you don't have to actually aim your blows but that the opponent can still get out of the way of your attacks.

In melee, that is pretty much the case, yes. :)

Hmm. It's an interesting compromise. It sounds a lot like Dark Souls or Lords of the Fallen, so I might still like that. There's still skill involved but it's not a totally punishing experience.

Not gonna lie, there's definitely some souls influence in this take on locking.

Oh absolutely, what we found pretty much immediately is that playing on a gamepad with our original design was a no go, and we want gamepad play to work, so locking is one avenue we're investigating to make things more accessible for gamepad players. The trick is to find the happy medium that still rewards skill and precision without completely excluding other player types.

• Snipehunter
8/23/2019 1:14:30 PM #14

Posted By Snipehunter at 08:35 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

Posted By Hieronymus at 8:31 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

In melee, that is pretty much the case, yes. :)

Not gonna lie, there's definitely some souls influence in this take on locking.

Oh absolutely, what we found pretty much immediately is that playing on a gamepad with our original design was a no go, and we want gamepad play to work, so locking is one avenue we're investigating to make things more accessible for gamepad players. The trick is to find the happy medium that still rewards skill and precision without completely excluding other player types.

What I have seen used pretty well sometimes is using one of the joysticks for walking, and the other joystick for aiming attacks.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

8/23/2019 1:57:02 PM #15

Hopefully their will be plenty of feints, cancels, and mid-attack action changes because a big issue with for honor on release is that you literally were at a disadvantage to strike first because most characters were stuck in there attack animation and just got turned on once their opponent dodged or parried.

It led to each round starting off with the 2 guys playing chicken just slow walking around each other for what felt like forever trying to get the other player to strike, very boring.

This also led to the light builds to be extremely OP because they just spammed dodges and parries and since at the time there weren't enough ways to break out of your initial attack you just got screwed for a lack of better words.

I don't know anymore.