COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
I'm sure this has been asked...

Now that D&SS is about to happen, I am a bit confused. We are going to pick a town, I get that part. However I was under the impression that we would pop into the world as a 12 year old kid, as part of a premade family. So are we buying property that will be owned by our parents? I don't get it.

8/23/2019 8:07:45 AM #1

I think if you have pledge a highertier package your character is older. it is also possible in the characrer creator as far as i know to simply make you char older and gain some bonuses for it.

8/23/2019 8:09:20 AM #2

Domain and Settlement Selection is designed more toward people who've backed the game at a tier or package that either gives them, or allows them access to have, a title and is to enable them to choose the location that they'll be residing over in game. (A Mayor, Count/Countess, Duke/Duchess or a Monarch/King/Queen).

A majority of players now, as well as at launch, will be spawning into the world as either part of a family (15 years old) or as a ward of the state (12 year old).

Both have their own benefits to them.

Spawning or "popping" into the world as a character already part of a family means you have a certain amount of security, or may have picked up some traits from your family members, but have less customisation and start at 15.

When you spawn in as a ward, you basically trade in the security of being part of a family, but you can customise your character's appearance and abilities more as there's less genetic appearance restrictions and since they start at age 12, while they're growing up they learn faster.

Later on, people will also be able to spawn into a "non traditional character" if they've gained enough story points, those ones are potentially adults already, or otherwise might be notable.

8/23/2019 8:29:19 AM #3

As I understand things:

We pick a town now (mayors and up), then develop things in Exposition, then on Day 1 of the actual game we make a new character from the family we created in Exposition to play in the area we customized during Exposition.

Basically, we start out playing our ancestors in Exposition.

Link to my story

8/23/2019 9:41:22 AM #4

Posted By Lady Grace at 09:29 AM - Fri Aug 23 2019

As I understand things:

We pick a town now (mayors and up), then develop things in Exposition, then on Day 1 of the actual game we make a new character from the family we created in Exposition to play in the area we customized during Exposition.

Basically, we start out playing our ancestors in Exposition.

I'd argue the KoE period is us playing our ancestors and Expo is us playing our characters/our launch character's immediate ancestors

Coming Soon(tm)

8/23/2019 9:49:24 AM #5

Sounds right, but key remains the same - chooing your Settlement in DSS does not mean picking your gameplay toon. There are some rules (like a Neran King can't pick a Janoan character while keeping his crown), but this is about setting up the board, there are still things to be done before rolling your final toon.

Link to my story

8/23/2019 10:37:04 AM #6

Yeah we're not even really selecting anything more than the starting server and starting realm/alliance (to keep the mmo metaphor going) yet

Coming Soon(tm)