COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[Sticky] There was almost no time to SHINE!
+50

Hail Elyrians!

Sorry for the lateness of the hour! It was a really busy day in the studio and while I knew what I wanted the shiny to be today from the get go, getting the chance to actually show it off was harder than I thought it would be!

So why was today so busy? Two reasons: First, today is a playtest day, which means the entire team takes time in the afternoon to play the current pre-alpha build and have a look at what's going on. I spend a lot of time on playtest days considering folks comments and issues with the game, what we might need to do to address them, and trying to find where things can be better even if we don't need larger changes.

Second, today was also the day I'd set aside this week to work on a certain thing related to the anniversary we like to celebrate every year. Without spoiling too much, I had to look up how certain engines of war worked in medieval times, and I had to have conversations with folks on the team about said engines of war, and their place in the game.

It was also a review day with the animation team, so we got the chance to see the combat animations the crew was working on, and discuss with them the gameplay implications of the current revisions, etc.

It was a fun day, just a long one!

But, all day I'd been thinking, "I can't wait to just jump in to the game, and film it so I can show that as today's shiny!" and guess what?

That's exactly what I did!

Sadly, I jumped into the playtest late, so conditions weren't ideal, but in the video you'll see me walk around, talk to some NPCs, complete a contract, gain some knowledge, meet new people, go for a swim, and then get schooled when I decide to play Frontenious and try to kill a bunch of perfectly innocent NPCs. (Spoilers, I escape justice, but I was this "" close to getting what I deserved.)

I did try to edit out the more boring bits where I was just running in the dark, so you'll see a few crossfades. If you're interested in what you missed, just call out where it happened and I'll explain. It was just a 17 minute video without cuts, so I figured I'd try to make it easier to watch. :)

Alright, I've said more than enough I think, so please enjoy: Prelyria Client Playtest Footage

Stay shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
9/6/2019 11:06:27 AM #31
+4

Posted By Adrienne at 11:46 AM - Fri Sep 06 2019

This video had more than one shiny and I'm so thrilled.

Also, I want a waterproof torch, too, please and thank you.

Legendary torch. Made by the finest torch makers, with the rarest materials.

9/6/2019 11:50:18 AM #32
+0

Lookin' great, keep those shinies coming ^^! Good to see progress being made, and that music is wonderful. One thing I would improve is that when you ask an NPC about a settlement, they'd give you a brief overview of the place, like "X is a poor farming village" or "Y is a rich mining town". Just a thought! But considering other MMOs, getting any sort of non-generic answer from an NPC is fine in my book :)

My Discord tag is DiCe#0396.

9/6/2019 12:12:27 PM #33
+0

Keep it up!

9/6/2019 1:50:23 PM #34
+0

cool

Baron Gundisalvus of Fort Xuthal in the County of Alashar

9/6/2019 2:24:08 PM #35
+0

Thanks for the sneak peak. Looks like you are making progress.

Not sure whether i saw it correctly, but it seemed to me that the NPCs in the camp weren't aware of their surrounding just of their own group.

So i was wondering whether you are planning to make them aware of their surrounding. So seeing that you are approaching trying to start a conversation and increasing their vigilance in case they don't know you.

Also on the same note, will you be able to interact with the wagons like stealing, setting fire etc.?

9/6/2019 2:40:59 PM #36
+2

Posted By Diocletir at 10:24 AM - Fri Sep 06 2019

Thanks for the sneak peak. Looks like you are making progress.

Not sure whether i saw it correctly, but it seemed to me that the NPCs in the camp weren't aware of their surrounding just of their own group.

So i was wondering whether you are planning to make them aware of their surrounding. So seeing that you are approaching trying to start a conversation and increasing their vigilance in case they don't know you.

Also on the same note, will you be able to interact with the wagons like stealing, setting fire etc.?

I think it depends on the individual NPCs or Group mentality because a couple months ago they showed a scene where approaching hostile NPCs as a stranger caused everyone around the person your greeting to draw weapons and watch you like a hawk.

idk bout the muffine man

9/6/2019 2:55:15 PM #37
+0

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 4:40 PM - Fri Sep 06 2019

I think it depends on the individual NPCs or Group mentality because a couple months ago they showed a scene where approaching hostile NPCs as a stranger caused everyone around the person your greeting to draw weapons and watch you like a hawk.

But wouldn't everyone at least try to communicate in case a stranger walks up to their Camp for the Night?

So in a way the question is as well can NPCs initiate conversations. Not the forced way conversations were initiated in games like Pokemon for Gameboy but like a real initiation of conversation. Then you can still decide then to react or ignore the other Person/NPC.

9/6/2019 3:39:12 PM #38

Looking really good!

Imgur

9/6/2019 8:42:29 PM #39
+3

Great update! However, I’m hoping there will be less ‘achievements’ in the playable game since this ruins the immersion I was expecting. If you are exploring new lands, it should be up to the player to find out the current local names, culture or customs... not some message flashing across the screen.

Still, I am impressed by the progress SBS has made with everything CoE so far. Please continue as quickly as possible! We all want to play. And if possible, bring in these mmo trolls for us to slay!

9/6/2019 9:37:53 PM #40
+16

For the folks who have called them out: Those actually aren't achievements you're seeing; we're using the achievement display system at this point in development to show us when players discover a new area.

Likewise the skill up and similar "dings" aren't meant to be that obtrusive in CoE, but we want to see them explicitly at this stage of development, so we have them temporarily wired up to the system message display channel.

One thing about showing off pre-alpha footage: We take a lot of shortcuts like the two mentioned above so that we can focus on what we're actually implementing and testing. From the outside looking in, it's really easy to draw the wrong conclusions as a result. It's one of the reasons we're typically wary of showing off footage like this.

That said, it has been awhile since we'd shown any long form, straight from the client gameplay, and so I felt like it was important to get a video like this into a shiny when I could, so please bear with me as I pop in to correct any misunderstandings, and please ask questions about them!

I know I haven't been particularly responsive today, but that's just because work has been particularly involved today. I will definitely circle back to answer any questions I see as soon as I can make the time to do so!

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
9/6/2019 10:20:49 PM #41
+2

I was hoping this was the case! Thank you Snipehunter!!

Posted By Snipehunter at 11:37 PM - Fri Sep 06 2019

For the folks who have called them out: Those actually aren't achievements you're seeing; we're using the achievement display system at this point in development to show us when players discover a new area.

Likewise the skill up and similar "dings" aren't meant to be that obtrusive in CoE, but we want to see them explicitly at this stage of development, so we have them temporarily wired up to the system message display channel.

One thing about showing off pre-alpha footage: We take a lot of shortcuts like the two mentioned above so that we can focus on what we're actually implementing and testing. From the outside looking in, it's really easy to draw the wrong conclusions as a result. It's one of the reasons we're typically wary of showing off footage like this.

That said, it has been awhile since we'd shown any long form, straight from the client gameplay, and so I felt like it was important to get a video like into a shiny when I could, so please bear with me as I pop in to correct any misunderstandings, and please ask questions about them!

I know I haven't been particularly responsive today, but that's just because work has been particularly involved today. I will definitely circle back to answer any questions I see as soon as I can make the time to do so!

Hope that helps! :)

9/6/2019 10:38:56 PM #42
+1

Very awesome Snipehunter! Thanks for the share even if it's causing you more work to correct misconceptions.

Cheers!

9/7/2019 2:00:30 AM #43
+1

Nice! Knowledge gained, achievements (exploring), npc interaction --- definitely a good step in the right direction! Looking forward to running around and exploring!

Look forward to developing skills and exploring! Thanks for sharing.

PS you have a great job! Hope you enjoy...I know it's work but it still must be enjoyable to create!

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

9/7/2019 2:36:44 AM #44
+1

OK, unlike the glee club here I have some misgivings on a few things, but I don't want to appear ungrateful for this extended look so I'll hold my thoughts for another day.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more in the future.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

9/7/2019 2:46:38 AM #45
+1

Favorite shiny so far dear Snipe! Awesome work.

Imgur