COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Vampirism

So my friend and I are debating. I think it would be cool if some one was turned into a vampire they had an immortal life, that is they stopped aging and couldn't suffer perma death. But if they died from sunlight, fire, stake to the heart or decapitation then they suffered a perma death regardless of how much time they had on the avatar. I think that would be cool to work it as such, but my friend doesn't think you guys would like it, and that it would be a very bad thing to do. So I am seeking the opinions of my fellow Elyrians.

9/18/2019 5:42:43 AM #1

Everyone knows a stake to the heart isn't permadeath for a vampire - you can just pull it out xD

9/18/2019 5:48:24 AM #2

Posted By Caspian at 02:08 AM - Tue Aug 18 2015

there is a race of people - Vampires - who feed on the spirit/souls of others. Weaker Vampires just drain spirit from their targets, reducing their overall life span. The more powerful Vampires can consume a person's soul entirely, sustaining them for much longer, and increasing their power. Doing so "captures" the soul, making it no longer playable by the owner. As well, the person who lost their soul becomes a Vampire themselves. A Vampire is extremely difficult to kill, and has many of the known advantages/disadvantages from lore.

If you do manage to kill a Vampire, however, it's permadeath for them. As well, any souls they'd consumed and hold onto are released to the Akashic Records.

Posted By Caspian at 03:10 AM - Tue Aug 18 2015

1. Is it easy to detect a vampire? No.

2. Disadvantages: The biggest disadvantages from the player's perspective are:

• No adventuring during daylight hours
    • They have to feed on Mann-Kind in order to maintain the Spirit they lack
    • If they're killed, it's permadeath - and everyone will be trying to kill them
  3. Advantages:

• They never age or die
    • They get more powerful over time
    • They develop additional Talents as they consume Souls.

This is pretty much what we know about vampires in Elyria. That, and that they are a myth.

10/15/2019 7:52:13 PM #3

So... can vampires feel on npcs or do they have to engage in pvp?

10/15/2019 8:19:02 PM #4

Posted By Blackkatt at 3:52 PM - Tue Oct 15 2019

It has not explicitly been mentioned but very likely vampires will be able to feed on both NPCs and PCs.

Greybattle County

10/15/2019 9:13:06 PM #5

They can't feed on NPCs the last time I heard, vampirers feed on souls and npcs do not souls.

10/15/2019 9:14:33 PM #6

I want to have a kid with a vampire, I want to have a daywalker child.

10/15/2019 9:24:44 PM #7

Posted By Deftly at 5:13 PM - Tue Oct 15 2019

They can't feed on NPCs the last time I heard, vampirers feed on souls and npcs do not souls.

Source? The statements I have seen so far mentions vampires feed on Mann-kind (NPCs included in that category). They can gain talents when they feed on souls (PCs).

It would be very difficult to maintain a vampire char if they could only feed on PCs alone

Greybattle County

10/15/2019 9:39:25 PM #8

NPCs don’t have soul. That cracked me up so much more then it should have!

10/16/2019 12:15:56 AM #9

Posted By Raiborn at 2:24 PM - Tue Oct 15 2019

Source? The statements I have seen so far mentions vampires feed on Mann-kind (NPCs included in that category). They can gain talents when they feed on souls (PCs).

It would be very difficult to maintain a vampire char if they could only feed on PCs alone

Source: Chronicles of Elyria: Q&A with Jeromy Walsh (January 25)

Q: So maybe I’m confused, NPCs do they or do they not have souls.

A: That’s one of the Lore questions, we always viewed them as having souls, but the mechanics of the way soul's work make it difficult how it works. We have a solution to that, but we’re waiting for the right time to go into depth about it, in some cases it’s contrary to some of our earlier discussions. So the idea in our mind they always had souls, but because they’re NPCs and they’re permanent fixtures in the world and stay in the same town, they’re just extremely famous and everybody knows Bob the Blacksmith, or Mary the Cook. So as a result of that killing an NPC would be effectively a permadeath for them because they’re so famous, that was kind of our explanation for that before, and many people have come along and said “well what if they don’t have souls” then we have this idea of people who don’t have souls never get reborn so they just kind of die, and we kind of went with that for the time being as that could work, but we’re still working on defining exactly how that works.

The above is very old and the nature of NPCs has subsequently varied since then in both the QnAs and in Discord. I believe that at one point there was a consideration for NPCs not having the same type of Qin souls that we use but having the Spirits of animals. So essentially whenever we possess an NPC there is something like a battle between the Qindred and Faedin religions.

The Discord Soul Chamber has all the more recent tidbits on both Souls and the Children of Sanguinis[Vampires]

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

10/16/2019 2:03:12 AM #10

@FenixFireSage NPC souls are not the issue. The exact wording used for vampires to feed was: 'feeds on Mann-kind'. And then he goes on to mention feeds on spirit and the ability to feed on souls for stronger vampires.

It would be very strange if vampires could not be able to feed on NPCs. What would be the in-lore reasoning behind being able only to feed on PCs and not from NPCs? They are both considered Mann-kind.

Vampires will have drawbacks of course (such as sunlight and permadeath when they die), Not being able to feed on NPCs would make it quite difficult to maintain a vampire character for very long. Unless the designers allowed them to go without feeding for long periods of time.

Greybattle County

10/16/2019 1:42:59 PM #11

I, for one, hope that vampires stay out of the game completely. There are just too many games that seem to be filled with vampires. People seem to forget that vampires are monsters and not something romantic. This is NOT Twilight. There is absolutely nothing positive about vampires.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

10/16/2019 2:04:28 PM #12

Posted By Moonlynx at 09:42 AM - Wed Oct 16 2019

I, for one, hope that vampires stay out of the game completely. There are just too many games that seem to be filled with vampires. People seem to forget that vampires are monsters and not something romantic. This is NOT Twilight. There is absolutely nothing positive about vampires.

I know what you mean. ESO is overrun with vamps and werewolves. Hopefully liches and vampires will be as rare as the designers mentioned. Vampirism should also be quite difficult to transmit, otherwise it will loose its novelty quite quickly

Greybattle County

10/16/2019 2:19:13 PM #13

Well thinking about it I guess vampires could be a path of cannibalism. As a cannibal you are already hunted by the largest part of the world but one day while eating your “meal” a talent awakes offering you a path to become a vampire, ghoul or something else depending on the choice you make. E.g. once the talent awakes you are contacted to visit some strange guy in an abandoned mine where he is offering several quests to choose you path. To become a vampire you may have to collect a set amount of heart’s blood and finally consume it during a ceronomy….to get a ghoul you have to collect special pieces of “meat” that have to rotten and finally be eaten by your character…and so on. Basically you are an evil that is getting worse.

But if there is a way to be evil creature...shouldn't there also be a possibility to be good creature? So to say a similar rare counterpart for the evil creatures.

Edit: Maybe magic abilities could be this good counterpart. E.g. just for someone who is doing something good to others there is a possibility to finally get a holy person and this way someone who can heal others.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

10/16/2019 2:54:32 PM #14

People rule the day, Vampires rule the night. Reminds me of Castlevania, kinda cool.

10/16/2019 3:25:11 PM #15

Posted By Moonlynx at 09:42 AM - Wed Oct 16 2019

There aren't very many MMOs that let you play as vampires and ones that do that give you the vampire experience. Vampires as monsters but that doesn't mean the players that become vampires will be monsters exactly.