COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Projected release date

Hello,

First let me start by disclosing that I am not following the forum or dev journals closely. I get my information mostly from the website and some highlights from email updates. Before submitting this thread I did a quick forum search for the topic of Release date but I have not found similar open.

So it is pretty obvious to anyone following the project that original deadlines are not going to be met. While this is indeed disappointing it hardly a surprise to anyone experienced in backing up a project. The general consensus always was that it is better to take the time rather then release sub-par product. Again, I don't really have a big problem with it, setting up unrealistic deadline is apparently a thing among game developers ;p.

That being said, there is really no excuse that development team has not put much effort into updating the website with the new road map. For example at this very moment on the https://chroniclesofelyria.com/game/getting-started website we can read: "(..) The projected release date is in the second half of 2019." Similar time-frames are mentioned on https://chroniclesofelyria.com/game/faq "Based on our velocity and projections, we expect a late 2019 launch. Alpha phases will begin in 2018, and Beta phases are expected to begin in 2019. We are also releasing several other early testing phases as early as Pre-Alpha, including VoxElyria and Kingdoms of Elyria."

Clearly we are looking at heavily outdated information, while I understand that nowadays there is a fashion to use discord channels and developer journals to keep the most engaged community updated, I see absolutly no reason not to have the most relevant information also available on the website for the people that just want to drop by and check the state of things without getting into months of posts and reading wall of text.

TL;DR Please keep the information available via the website updated. No one expects to see details there but key information and up to date road-map should be there.

10/1/2019 9:55:55 AM #1

Yhea those pages really need an update.

But on the matter of a release date, currently there isnt a known target.

10/1/2019 2:51:24 PM #2

They really should update those as soon as possible. They have a potential issue in the UK and some EU countries re: false advertising if they keep obviously false data out there and that encourages people to spend money on their products.

10/1/2019 4:42:50 PM #3

@Xelosu: Due to the number of missed dates, a bunch of players from the community asked SbS not to give any more dates until they were sure they could make the date. This was to increase help SbS increase their credibility. It should be kept in mind that SbS is trying to create something that has never been made before, and so they are having to figure out a lot of things from scratch as they go and at times encounter unexpected obstacles.

Here's a link to an old Design Journal (July 2017) that contains a list of everything that needs doing. You'll need to scroll down quite a ways to find the list, and you should understand that a number of features have been rolled up into the next higher level feature.

There's also a list of development phase/stage/events on the CoE wiki, though dates have been removed.

Hope this gives you some insight on why there isn't a current development schedule available.

Dras healer in service to Kingdom of Bordweall (NA-E) || Duchy of Bloodbole

10/1/2019 9:55:58 PM #4

@Kere Thanks for the information, it is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find on the website :wink:

10/12/2019 12:51:38 AM #5

Posted By Kere at 09:42 AM - Tue Oct 01 2019

@Xelosu: Due to the number of missed dates, a bunch of players from the community asked SbS not to give any more dates until they were sure they could make the date. This was to increase help SbS increase their credibility. It should be kept in mind that SbS is trying to create something that has never been made before, and so they are having to figure out a lot of things from scratch as they go and at times encounter unexpected obstacles.

Here's a link to an old Design Journal (July 2017) that contains a list of everything that needs doing. You'll need to scroll down quite a ways to find the list, and you should understand that a number of features have been rolled up into the next higher level feature.

There's also a list of development phase/stage/events on the CoE wiki, though dates have been removed.

Hope this gives you some insight on why there isn't a current development schedule available.

I completely agree with you on that one. I am very excited about the game just because it's a unique experience on it's own