COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Call to adventure

Anyone else think 40 dollars seems steep?

10/1/2019 2:45:44 PM #1

Well..if clothes are $10 and this has the potential to give you treasure in return, seems fair to me. That means what ever you find would only need to buy you 4 sets of clothes to be equal to the $40 valuations.

I don't know anymore.

10/1/2019 2:47:44 PM #2

Just seems silly to sell game for 45 then sell an adventure in game for 40.

It's not like it is saying you will find something valuable either.

10/1/2019 2:48:25 PM #3

Posted By rws22882 at 4:47 PM - Tue Oct 01 2019

LOL never thought of it that way rofl

10/1/2019 3:04:58 PM #4

I really can't answer your question with the available information.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

10/1/2019 3:42:26 PM #5

Posted By rws22882 at 10:47 AM - Tue Oct 01 2019

I mean the trebuchet is $35, I think were picking and choosing here.

I don't know anymore.

10/1/2019 3:59:59 PM #6

It's just a way for backers to continue to contribute, and acquire fun things.

Not sure why critics of SBS development are so interested in counting other people's coins, TBH.

10/1/2019 4:04:12 PM #7

This is an absurd price for something that could just be information. One of the most overpriced lootboxes I've ever seen in a game.

Posted By Adrienne at 11:59 AM - Tue Oct 01 2019

It's just a way for backers to continue to contribute, and acquire fun things.

Not sure why critics of SBS development are so interested in counting other people's coins, TBH.

This is gambling, just like the raffle, sure it's fine, but when you state that you're against it and then sell multiple "surprise mechanic" items. Then Why not just do the lootbox publisher deal?

10/1/2019 4:06:33 PM #8

Posted By rws22882 at 10:47 AM - Tue Oct 01 2019

It's not like it is saying you will find something valuable either.

Most MMOs sell the game for around 40 then sell the adventure for $15 a month or have a cash shop.

But not everyone is going to want this, and this promise a reward. Farmers can buy seeds fail to grow the crops, clothes can be stolen, gliders still need someone to build them, but the call to adventure seems to be bound to you.

10/1/2019 4:26:26 PM #9

I'm kind of getting the impression that folks aren't understanding what it is the invitation to adventure represents. Maybe I can help to clarify?

When you create a character, you are also creating a collection of story seeds and themes that are bound to your character in the form of your personal destiny. The promo goal that you've all unlocked aside, there is no way to personally guide what those story seeds are, and the range of scenarios and events that represent is incredibly broad.

It's possible that none of those seeds correspond with what it is you want to experience in game. It's possible for none of them to, for example, lead to a moment of high adventure in your life. You way want to be beowulf, but never be approached to save a settlement from monsters. You want to experience the life of a raider of tombs, but never come across a tomb on your own, or be offered a place on an expedition to explore such a site. Your destiny could more focused around politics, or business, or craft, or even purely social situations related to the settlements you call home.

The invitation to Adventure is something else; it cuts through all of that to open the door to an adventure for you, independent of your personal destiny. That invitation will always come in the form in something memorable that you can save and collect, a momento of the journey that can be passed on, even if you ultimately decide not to take up the invitation. But if you do, then you'll embark on an adventure that will guide you through the world, challenge you and put you in danger, and ultimately culminate in your gaining something of value, if you are successful.

It's not "Oh another quest from a villager" -- it's Bilbo opening his door to find the first of a troupe of dwarves at his door, it's Bastian opening up the book to read about fantasia for the first time, it's Luke finding a hidden message in a newly acquired droid.Each invitation is different, but they all lead to epic adventures that are generally transformative in nature.

Whether that has value for you personally or not depends on your goals, but I wouldn't dismiss the object out of hand; it's definitely far more than this thread appears to be making it out to be.

In fact, it was conceived as a way to give folks who aren't able to do things like acquire a legendary tavern or host a tournament to get something just as special, and unique to them.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
10/1/2019 4:29:32 PM #10

Tbh I think it cheapens the reward of the adventure if you just buy it. You are supposed to go out and explore, and eventually the story engine might throw something at you that turns into an epic adventure. Or not.

If you know 100% that it's going to happen, and that it will literally be delivered to your door... Kinda ruins the fun of discovery doesn't it?

I guess if you are a noble who wants to play high risk / high reward to earn story points that would be a decent item.

10/1/2019 4:35:55 PM #11

Thanks Snipehunter. That clears it up.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

10/1/2019 4:47:02 PM #12

Thanks for all of the extra information Snipe! But I'm wondering if the call is a momento that can be kept, can it also be passed to another character so that they can complete the adventure?

10/1/2019 4:58:21 PM #13

Posted By Allure at 09:47 AM - Tue Oct 01 2019

Thanks for all of the extra information Snipe! But I'm wondering if the call is a momento that can be kept, can it also be passed to another character so that they can complete the adventure?

It may not be an object at all. The invitation to the adventure could be anything, and the store says it marks your first character to have this occur at some time.

10/1/2019 5:09:23 PM #14

Posted By Vucar at 12:58 PM - Tue Oct 01 2019

Posted By Allure at 09:47 AM - Tue Oct 01 2019

It may not be an object at all. The invitation to the adventure could be anything, and the store says it marks your first character to have this occur at some time.

That's the one thing I'm not to excited about, the marking of the first character to have it happen. My first character is going to have his hands full getting his city and county set up and running. He might not have the chance to go do an adventure and I'll have just wasted $40. Be better if there was a way to activate it on a character when we're ready... be it the first character or the 100th character.

10/1/2019 5:17:41 PM #15

Posted By rws22882 at

Anyone else think 40 dollars seems steep?

Nowadays we play whole games for less. $40 for a single adventure is a bit to steep.