COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
[Show us your Domain] City of Avidàr, Elderwood County {LUNA}

The Avidàr Festival

“Mom, we are going to be late for the play!” Sara pleads.

Joni tightens her shawl against the cold as her daughter tugs on her free hand. “This is the third time we have seen it this year”

“Do I look like Yara Elwood?” Sara steps back and thrusts a wooden sword forward, carelessly ignoring her mother’s words.

“Avidàr herself would have a hard time telling the difference.” Joni replies.

They walk briskly into the Avidàr Arena and take their seats as a man in a large straw hat silences the crowd.

“Good evening, I am Mirvirn and long ago, before the bricks of this city were laid, a young Yara Birkaz was traveling through the Elderwood, a day that would change our lives forever...” The curtains behind Mirvirn open to a young woman upon a stuffed rocking horse with button eyes.

A thunderous sound spreads through the arena as a cloud of grey smoke appears on the stage, stopping the young woman in her tracks. Another woman, in a gorgeous, flowing, green dress walks gracefully out of the smoke towards Yar, and with a commanding voice states “I am Avidàr, eldest guardian spirit of the Elderwood. There is a great evil that seeks to corrupt the Elderwood”

“You must act quickly, for the summer solstice approaches and the Queen’s Gaze shines in the sky, lifting the veil between our worlds. Unleashing an evil upon the Elderwood that could taint both of our realms for years to come.”

Yara kneels before Avidàr and says, with a trembling voice, “What can I do that a guardian spirit can not? I am just a simple hunter.” gesturing to the collection of animal skins stored on her horse.

Avidàr approaches Yara and strokes her mount gently. “You have called the Elderwood home and have formed a bond with it most of your kind never achieve. Only someone such as yourself can be gifted with my mantle. However, it comes at a cost, you and your descendant’s destinies will be bound to the Elderwood and you my young Yara will only live a life half as long as your kind.”

She points a slightly crooked finger as the lanterns above the stage dim to a glow. “This is your sacrifice to make, or all those who enter this land shall be met with a worse fate worse than death.” The audience looks upon the young woman and her horse expectantly.

“The Elderwood is the only home I’ve ever known, I would be heartbroken to see anything bad happen to it. I accept your mantle. '' The stage brightens and the crowd cheers as the curtains fall.

Mirvirn walks back into the center of the stage. “Upon accepting the offer, Yara was imbued with Avidàr’s mantle, and together they spent the summer rooting out the evil that encroached upon the Elderwood.”

The curtains open. Yara, now dressed like a seasoned ranger, begins to parry and thrust with her sword fending off shadowy monsters and people alike; each new obstacle stricken down. Avidàr stands a few feet behind Yara mimicking her movements. Cheering and exclamations from the crowd reverberate onto the stage with every thrust.

Suddenly the lanterns darken and the stage goes black. From off stage, Mirvirn utters these words in a somber tone, “She took on the Avidà’s mantle and saved our dear Elderwood, now she must pay the price”. A single lantern ignites; revealing an older woman sitting in a chair holding a baby, Avidàr steps out of the shadows. “You have done what few would do, in return I will watch over your family and they shall inherit these lands. Rest peacefully, Yara.” She takes the child held by a dying Yara and walks off the stage. The curtains fall.

“From then on, Yara became known as Yara Elwood, Savior of the Elderwood. The Elwood family has taken up guardianship over the Elderwood and to pay tribute to Avidàr they established this great city” Mirvirn proclaims. He takes a moment “That concludes today’s performance, we wish to thank you all for joining us today. May Avidàr bless us all” Applause erupts from the crowd as the narrator and actresses take their bows.

“Mom, that was amazing! Can we go again tomorrow?” Sara asks as they leave the Arena together.

“Again?” Joni asks with a sigh.

“Please?” Sara pleads as she runs ahead; her wooden sword out, fighting imaginary beasts in the shadows.

10/15/2019 5:50:43 AM #1

Got to love a story with a Bard!

Mayor of Greypoint Village

10/15/2019 7:26:47 PM #2

Yeah, I thought it would be a great way to share some lore with out locking it down and it helped keep it under the 750 word limit.