COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Farming kits

I've seen an abundance of discussion about farming kits and which biomes require which kits.

I would love some clarification on this from SBS so that I can plan what kits I need. (I'm going to now have to trade for these but....)

We don't need information in transitional Biomes because in my honest opinion you should be able to figure it out.

So could we get info on the following biomes

• Alpine Coniferous Forest
  • Alpine Tundra
  • Lower Montane Forest
  • Taiga
  • Broadleaf Forest
  • Shrublands
  • Mixed Forest
  • Grassland
  • Woodland Savanah
  • Swamp
  • Semi Arid Desert
  • Shrub Steppe
  • Salt Marsh
  • Tidal Marsh
  • Tropical Wetlands
  • Tropical Rainforest.

I know some of these are obvious but I'm including them for completeness.

For those that say "we can find this out using real world comparison." My argument will be, please tell me exactly which Woodland Savanah we have. African, Asian or American because all three are very different

10/5/2019 10:11:31 AM #1

I also would like a little more info on this. I'm in the alpine forest, is the temperate orchard kit appropriate for me or is here another one that would be?

10/5/2019 10:19:30 AM #2

And do Forest Kits work in the woodland savannah? or are they just for broadleaf, mixed forests etc..? One would assume "woodland" is good enough or am I mistaken?

Fuck you Caspian the<em>city</em>of_khersoness

10/5/2019 10:30:04 AM #3

I've looked for information on steppe biomes on google (albeit I didn't dig too far) and most pages say semi-arid while others say temperate. I'd already assumed steppes vary since there are different biomes with different types of climates like you mentioned. For example, the steppes are found in a few regions all over the globe and are occupied by different animal life, vegetation, acidity levels within the soil, etc. These factors would definitely affect crops. I'd hate to buy the orchard kit for arid climates while I'm in a grassland steppe- come to find out it's a temperate steppe after all and the orchard dies out on me. This applies to all your listed biomes I'm sure. If they haven't already, it would be nice if the CoE team gave us a detailed biome guide. :)

10/5/2019 10:57:24 AM #4

I asked this on discord and received a link with the following information from a member called Taco thanks for that link.

Regarding the Orchard kits: From Caspian: -K1 and K2 are Mild -K3 is Temperate -K4 is Arid - K5 and K6 is Tropical - OCE: - K1 Mild - K2 Temperate/Arid - K3 Arid/Temperate/Tropical - K4 Tropical - K2 Shrublands is Temperate/Arid hybrid - K3 Semi-Arid Desert: Arid - K3 Bog: Temperate - K3 Grasslands: Temperate - K3 Marsh: Temperate/Tropical However, it's biome specific. So there are some biomes in the kingdoms that don't follow those guidelines precisely."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30755/the-festival-of-renewal-returns#post339588

Cant get it to show as a list on this hellish forums

I love jumping around in a Voxel assets

10/5/2019 11:02:29 AM #5

I dont about you but that still didnt make it clear to me. Does it mean that only one of the kits, the arid one, will fit my location if im at K4, and theres no point in buying any other? On the topic of mini-biomes theres no way to know if you are inside of one. For example my settlement is on the coast of big ass lake so why would it be arid there, so I just have to assume one kit would work and another one wont without any real info, while spending money. And again, nothing about forest kits.

Fuck you Caspian the<em>city</em>of_khersoness

10/5/2019 11:10:13 AM #6

As far as I know all plants grow everywhere. Just on some places better than others. Don't know about the quality though.

10/5/2019 11:20:08 AM #7

To answer this question, I would actually go back to the flora and fauna Q&A timestamped here

Basically taking plants from their native biome and planting them in another can either have you finding out that it flourishes even more in these new conditions, or that it doesn't grow quite as well outside it's native biome.

I would treat the orchard kits as being guaranteed to flourish in the biome that they are suited for, and as not being As suited in other biomes for the sake of purchases. So essentially treat it as a gamble, the same type you would make in game if you were traveling abroad and brought back a seed hoping to grow a tree. Only now it's less traveling and more hard cash :P

10/5/2019 11:21:16 AM #8

I'm snagging at least one of each farming kit, with the intention of dedicating a parcel or two to agricultural science - let's see what grows in the North, or what we can coax into growing, despite where it might grow best :)

World Class Indoorsman

10/5/2019 11:29:32 AM #9

The thing about kingdoms is rubbish tbh, it explains nothing In any detail...

For clarification I'm asking which kits are the ideal for each biome.

10/5/2019 12:27:20 PM #10

Caspian ☁03/22/2019 Just as a reminder folks. The orchard kits go from cooler to warmer: Mild -> Temperate -> Arid -> Tropical

Caspian ☁03/22/2019 Mixed Leaf can generally do Mild or Temperate.

Caspian ☁03/22/2019 Shrub Steppe is a bit more on the arid than temperate side, but you may have luck with some temperate items as well, like apple trees.

The Shrublands are a temperate climate

Caspian ☁04/13/2019 @Duke Athorias Paleblood֎ the soil in the taiga is very acidic and not conducive to many orchard trees.

Caspian ☁03/22/2019 Lower Montane can have a mix of temperate and cooler flora.

Got bored or I'd finish the rest of the biomes :| Mebbe someone make a handsome looking infographic that includes the new ones we have seen, not that we need to be told the rainforest farming kit is suitable for the rainforest :P

Suffice to say, if you figure out how to use discords search function, and how to prune the forums with "site:https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum" on google, yer like a walking encyclopedia around here.

10/5/2019 6:47:32 PM #11

Or maybe SBS can give us a proper list on the official forum since discord is unofficial.

I don't think its much to ask when your wanting us to pay $10 per farming kit to let us know which ones to buy. I have bought none rather than risk my hard earned cash on something i can't use.

10/5/2019 6:54:29 PM #12

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 11:47 AM - Sat Oct 05 2019

Or maybe SBS can give us a proper list on the official forum since discord is unofficial.

I don't think its much to ask when your wanting us to pay $10 per farming kit to let us know which ones to buy. I have bought none rather than risk my hard earned cash on something i can't use.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30755/the-festival-of-renewal-returns#7

Prolly as close as we have to an official posting of it. If that's not good enough I'd just allow your buyer beware senses to take over and not purchase them. Play it safe till expo <3

10/5/2019 6:57:52 PM #13

Posted By Labbe at 7:54 PM - Sat Oct 05 2019

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 11:47 AM - Sat Oct 05 2019

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30755/the-festival-of-renewal-returns#7

Prolly as close as we have to an official posting of it. If that's not good enough I'd just allow your buyer beware senses to take over and not purchase them. Play it safe till expo <3

What's so hard on them giving a list.... Really....

10/5/2019 7:01:25 PM #14

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 11:57 AM - Sat Oct 05 2019

I mean there are a few things that come to mind, most prominent of which being that it narrows down the changes they can make in the future. If they explicitly say orchard kit A works in Biome 1, and then come testing they find out that oranges in this biome are just too feckin op, or don't make sense, then we have a situation where SbS sold a product saying it would work in this way only to take it back later, which isn't PR they need.

All I can help you with is answering what we have/know, if that's not good enough then I hope a dev swings by to answer your questions in more detail.

10/5/2019 7:38:21 PM #15

Posted By Labbe at 8:01 PM - Sat Oct 05 2019

Posted By Sir_Skylos at 11:57 AM - Sat Oct 05 2019

I mean there are a few things that come to mind, most prominent of which being that it narrows down the changes they can make in the future. If they explicitly say orchard kit A works in Biome 1, and then come testing they find out that oranges in this biome are just too feckin op, or don't make sense, then we have a situation where SbS sold a product saying it would work in this way only to take it back later, which isn't PR they need.

All I can help you with is answering what we have/know, if that's not good enough then I hope a dev swings by to answer your questions in more detail.

That's tbh what I was hoping for when asking the question. Also whilst I respect your answer it's just as bad selling something that won't work well in certain environments.

They would be better selling the kits and explaining which biomes match which kits but not any details of the fruits in the kits.