COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Road and Path Building for Mayors & Counts

Hello,

I have a background in planning and was curious if road and path design was something that was thought about in depth already. As such, there are several quick questions that I had on how road implementation works.

1) Can roads/paths exist through private parcels of land?

2) Can roads/paths exist through settlement parcels or must they always border parcels?

3) For roads/paths in between parcels, will they take square footage away from those parcels or will they be strictly separate and in between said parcels?

4) For roads/paths in between parcels, will the settlement/county have ownership/public rights to the road or will the parcel owners have the right to control that section of road?

5) Is road and path creation strictly parallel or can alternative angles and polygon shapes be used? (For example, 3-way and 5-way intersections, round-a-bouts, triangles, hexagons, and octagons)

6) Can a road/path have two or more elements used in the design of the road? (For example, one side of the road as brick, the other side of the road as concrete)

7) Can multiple roads/paths run in parallel with each other without intersecting or touching?

8) Can a settlement remove existing paths/roads that lead outside of the settlement to create a segregated settlement?

9) Can a settlement or county create a closed course or loop of road to be used as a track for racing? Would the circumstances of this change if it was settlement/county land vs land owned privately by the count or mayor?

10) Lastly, if a mayor or count wanted to widen a road/path which would result in private parcel land being taken/bought, or a building having to be moved, would this be possible? Can private parcel owners also widen their own paths and roads?

These questions are founded on the basis of basic technology. As we research and gain other technologies in the game, I would hope that advanced techniques for road/path design to manage flow of people and goods better will be possible. For example, such things as raised roads, aqueducts, glider runways, and tunnel roads.

Thanks

10/11/2019 3:04:32 AM #1

One important detail (i think anyway) that i read can shape a lot of how infrastructure is placed. That is that it all roads require maintenance. Place too many, or roads of the wrong quality and it will be costly to maintain.

This then should motivate players to place roads efficiently, in quantity and location, materials and construction quality.

10/11/2019 3:07:59 AM #2

Posted By Psiedje at

Hello,

I have a background in planning and was curious if road and path design was something that was thought about in depth already. As such, there are several quick questions that I had on how road implementation works.

1) Can roads/paths exist through private parcels of land?

2) Can roads/paths exist through settlement parcels or must they always border parcels?

3) For roads/paths in between parcels, will they take square footage away from those parcels or will they be strictly separate and in between said parcels?

4) For roads/paths in between parcels, will the settlement/county have ownership/public rights to the road or will the parcel owners have the right to control that section of road?

5) Is road and path creation strictly parallel or can alternative angles and polygon shapes be used? (For example, 3-way and 5-way intersections, round-a-bouts, triangles, hexagons, and octagons)

6) Can a road/path have two or more elements used in the design of the road? (For example, one side of the road as brick, the other side of the road as concrete)

7) Can multiple roads/paths run in parallel with each other without intersecting or touching?

8) Can a settlement remove existing paths/roads that lead outside of the settlement to create a segregated settlement?

9) Can a settlement or county create a closed course or loop of road to be used as a track for racing? Would the circumstances of this change if it was settlement/county land vs land owned privately by the count or mayor?

10) Lastly, if a mayor or count wanted to widen a road/path which would result in private parcel land being taken/bought, or a building having to be moved, would this be possible? Can private parcel owners also widen their own paths and roads?

These questions are founded on the basis of basic technology. As we research and gain other technologies in the game, I would hope that advanced techniques for road/path design to manage flow of people and goods better will be possible. For example, such things as raised roads, aqueducts, glider runways, and tunnel roads.

Thanks

I also have a background in landuse and have paid attention to Dev comments on roads. I think the answers are:

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. There is no “in between parcels” so roads take space from parcels.
  4. Ownership unknown as far as I know. I think the current thinking is that the roads will be public but the parcel owners won’t mind because they are useful.
  5. We don’t know how they will actually appear ingame or on the ground. Current pathing seems weird to some people, which suggests to me that they are based on maintaining useful grade, following contours rather than climbing slopes.
  6. Unknown. We do know that one kind of road can become another kind (eg. roads can connect to or become highways).
  7. Yes, but that might not be efficient given maintenance costs.
  8. Yes. Everything, including roads, should be destructible.
  9. I don’t know, but I hope so because I want to do that. We don’t yet know If there are private roads (such as bandit paths), but I hope so.
  10. We do know paths and roads can be upgraded, but we don’t know how that works or whether they will be wider when ungraded such that roadside structures will have to be removed to allow for the upgrade.

I think those are the answers. If I am wrong about anything, I hope someone corrects me.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

10/11/2019 3:55:57 AM #3

With any luck on number 10, we'll be able to upgrade material and quality separate from width. So even if I have a tightly built town, I should still be able to upgrade the material or quality of the road or if i have the space, the width aswell.

I think this flexibility will let us have consistent paving but inconsistent paths, which I think can add originality and charm to some areas that a super wide road just cant do.

10/12/2019 9:28:55 PM #4

One of snipe's answers implied to me that width and construction material were separate, and that the combination of the two were what differentiated a road from a highway on the map, for instance.

I believe that counts/counties own the roads, though the roads actually on settlement parcels might work differently and I expect that a private landowner could upgrade a road.