COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Question about Sustainability

Will the AI behind an NPC village/town with low sustainability, seek to improve the sustainability anyway they can through trade, more farms, more fishing etc, or will it be up to the Duke or Count of a domain to try and fix the sustainability of NPC towns that they don't even own because the default action of the AI is to simply start leaving the town to improve sustainability by lowering the population?

10/29/2019 12:10:46 AM #16

The NPC AI, at its base layer, operates on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. That is to say, before an NPC will consider higher-minded behaviors like "What do I need to do to be the best blacksmith in this town?" they first think about their physiological needs, then their safety needs, then their social needs, and then their internal needs, before they think about how to be the best [whatever their career is] in the settlement.

If any of those lower tier needs go unmet for long, the NPC will ask and answer questions like "Do I need to move on from here and find a new home town?" and act on those answers to resolve their issues. The thresholds at which NPCs begin to consider drastic steps like that depends on their Big 5 personality values. That said, they will all eventually take drastic measures to ensure their basic needs, desire for safety, and hope for sense of belonging are met.

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: So, to address the original question HajimeSaiko, if the NPC in question thinks they can address their need, for example, for food, by jumping in and assisting the farmers, they will. However, generally speaking, an NPC won't seek to change their profession, and they won't attempt to improve land or infrastructure that isn't theirs to address. If the farmer doesn't open the land up for folks ot help, they won't. Likewise, if the town hasn't opened up things for people to come help, say, build a well, no one will come help because they've essentially been told they can't, and that option to address their physical need for water won't be on the table for them.

• Snipehunter
10/29/2019 12:47:38 AM #17

Nice! Thanks for the information Snipehunter.

10/29/2019 1:04:35 AM #18

LOL, has anyone else start picturing a mass exodus of blacksmiths from their communities because of a lack of aprons.

That was meant as a joke obviously but it worries me some that any particular NPC professional might be constantly picking up stakes and moving in a constant search for NPC nirvana. It worries me that an NPC that is vital for a communities success suddenly picks up and leaves with no replacement. What happens if all the farmers in a town suddenly decide to leave? I ask that because if the criteria for one farmer is not being met, chances are they are not being met for all of the farmers. And God forbid if they leave because of a computer glitch in the program or some trivial need not met.

10/29/2019 1:14:20 AM #19

Good reply. :)

I could see a social 'anchor' or loyalty 'chain' keeping a well-paid NPC at their task. Meaning: if just "small" things are awry or out-of-whack they don't just pack and leave out of a sense of community or loyalty (abstracted of course).

Maybe even a grumble and complain "tell" that can be picked up on by an observer in the settlement.

Alpha 2 for NPC mayors and rulers no? for the bigger answer on the question of NPC asset exploitation.

Imgur

10/29/2019 1:15:56 AM #20

Thanks for the reply Snipehunter :)

10/29/2019 3:59:47 AM #21

Posted By RedDoggybone at 9:04 PM - Mon Oct 28 2019

LOL, has anyone else start picturing a mass exodus of blacksmiths from their communities because of a lack of aprons.

That was meant as a joke obviously but it worries me some that any particular NPC professional might be constantly picking up stakes and moving in a constant search for NPC nirvana. It worries me that an NPC that is vital for a communities success suddenly picks up and leaves with no replacement. What happens if all the farmers in a town suddenly decide to leave? I ask that because if the criteria for one farmer is not being met, chances are they are not being met for all of the farmers. And God forbid if they leave because of a computer glitch in the program or some trivial need not met.

Barring a computer glitch (which hopefully would be identifiable prior to exposition), I don't see any attentive mayor having to be concerned that their farmers will leave. Snipehunter's statement included "If any of those lower tier needs go unmet for long".

for long is really important here as it means that there would be opportunity to learn and correct the situation if the means to do so are present. If the mayor is foolish enough to have spent their full treasury, then they wouldn't be able to hire a travelling merchant to acquire seeds if somehow that was the most expedient solution. But even then a resourceful mayor may find other solutions.

And yeah, a ban on aprons could really wreck an economy, lol.

10/30/2019 11:15:11 PM #22

If we're assuming a working economy as the basis of all the pre-player activity in Elyria, then it makes sense that NPC mayors and nobles will be at least minimally competent in economic matters. If that isn't the case, then CoE will not be functionally stable without the intervention of players.

If we're assuming that CoE is supposed to be fun for titled players, then it makes sense to assume that NPC title holder AI will not be outrageously better than players.

I take the above two assumptions to mean that titleholder AIs will be competent at maintaining a status quo and dealing with ordinary changes, but not so good at initiating and managing grand projects or responding to catastrophic change.

The main questions I have concern NPC-governed settlements and domains that are not either neutrally or positively sustainable as of the start of D&SS. Will their NPC leaders be capable of making them sustainable without the loss of population or the intervention of players? These would be the best tests of basic NPC titleholder AI.

10/31/2019 8:44:09 PM #23

I think AI discussions should be tabled and lets focus on Pre Elyria type discussions. years and years of theory crafting is getting to be a bore.

I understand everyone has different opinions on this and im not discounting that.

11/1/2019 4:57:58 AM #24

Don't expect practical, mechanical answers to these kinds of questions.