COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
More on the SBS Development process

Snipehunter wrote: "A process that might take several months of total time to complete can be done in a third or a quarter of that time as a result of that parallel production and so, even though we’re a small team, we can maintain a pace similar to the larger-teamed MMOs I’ve worked on in the past, games that had teams that were literally 3 or 4 times as large as the team here at Soulbound."

"It might not be easy to see from the outside, but from where I sit on the inside? It’s the sort of smart planning that makes me think why didn’t we do this on that other game?! -- and I’m not going to lie, knowing we’re doing this when others never thought to do it?"

I decided to extract this from the recent Shiny thread to not clutter it with this discussion.

As a long time software project manager and developer (but notba game dev) I am always interested in ways to improve on a team's velocity and it sounds as if Snipehunter and team may have hit on something truly new.

I'd love to learn more about this, but I suspect I'd have to go work for SBS to really get more details so I guess I'll have to wait until Snipe writes his memoirs 15 years down the road.

But here's the thing, if these techniques truly are providing such efficiency, it's not unreasonable to see evidence of significant progress on multiple game systems, even some of the more complex ones, including seeing them in action in the actual game world.

The parkour demo was entertaining, but it was just a bare bones demo. The original Pax East video from back in 2016 looked more amazing even though that apparently wasn't the actual game world either.

We'll see how 2020 turns out, hopefully with a lot more visual evidence of actual in game footage of many of the systems in progress.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/15/2019 1:48:06 AM #61

Heres my 2 sense, the game will be a disappointment im not gonna sugercoat it anymore. Im beyond disgusted with SBS and so is alot of people..... Caspian has proven time and time again they cant make their launch dates in anything let alone something in 2020 thats just a meme at this point. Dont get me wrong either ive been here for along time ive had faith and everything but 3 years now and still not even an alpha.....

F0942E

11/15/2019 4:24:09 AM #62

Posted By Artax_Daane at 8:48 PM - Thu Nov 14 2019

Heres my 2 sense, the game will be a disappointment im not gonna sugercoat it anymore. Im beyond disgusted with SBS and so is alot of people..... Caspian has proven time and time again they cant make their launch dates in anything let alone something in 2020 thats just a meme at this point. Dont get me wrong either ive been here for along time ive had faith and everything but 3 years now and still not even an alpha.....

I think this is a bit much.

On an unrelated note, I had to chuckle a little on the timing of this recent shiney.

I know this thread and its comments effect precisely nothing in the grand scheme, but I found it a bit ironic that in the midst of a discussion about transparent communication of progress after three years, and Caspians comments about all the stuff in the works, the shiney was...

a concept sketch.

Not a rendering. Not an in game image from the PrElyria client. Not even a colored mock up...

A. Sketch.

I know, I know, shineys aren't production updates - they're just fun little tidbits. Still, I admit to a cheap laugh.

On a more serious note, I always enjoy the little "what we are working on" updates that Snipe manages to usually insert into the weekly shinies. That is one thing I think is being done well.

Not sure how I feel about them still iterating on movement mechanics after three years, or what that might indicate for how long it will take to iterate on each of the hundred or so systems they have planned, but guess it's good they are making progress on it.

Imgur

11/15/2019 4:36:49 AM #63

I appreciate the information being passed along to those of us who try to avoid the chaos and drama of "Discordia"...

And I will give them the opportunity to now cash some of the checks they have been writing with their promises.

2019 obviously did not turn out as they, or we the community, intended.

Hopefully the lessons have been learned and the mistakes are not repeated moving forward into 2020.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/15/2019 5:30:38 AM #64

@Marovec i didnt mean for it to be harsh just blunt and striaght to the point and at this point COE is a meme till we have something in our hands, i know MMOS take years (sometimes decades) to make but its been 3 years i feel ive been patient enough and ive put my blinders on for long enough. As for the shiny, dont get me started on that lol.

F0942E

11/15/2019 7:10:46 AM #65

@marovec, awesome initial post but it’s not going to happen. If the studio was to release a true, non-sales pitch, this is where everything stands post it would shut down the game. Not because they haven’t made progress but because they are no where near where they lead on that they are in development .

Now I know some one will follow up that says they have a friend of a friend that has jimmy johns delivered from a guy that works part time as a guy who brings coffee to the devs who can testify the game is way further along than we know but then prove it. This topic thread isn’t new just the next wave crashing on the beach after another successful conceptual goods sale. Do I hope like everyone that this game being built on my hopes and dreams comes true, sure but I also know that I willingly bought a ticket on this titanic cruise and even sprung for the economy plus cabin. Did I expect a finished game at this stage , not at all so it’s easy for me to walk away and play another game and come back months later and find zero tangible progress and not be disappointed.

One of my favorite post was when the maps were in development and we were told that x amount of cpus with x amount of cores were working at 100% to finalize the maps....for it to only be delayed months later after the peasants revolted for a progress update. If the map development was so far behind does anyone really believe that a studio with limited manpower and resources is going to create this skynet level AI they’ve been touting as a game changer?

At this point you’re a frog in the pot of water on the stove and it’s starting to heat up.

#votewithyourwallet

11/15/2019 2:56:27 PM #66

Posted By kajoreh at 11:36 PM - Thu Nov 14 2019

I appreciate the information being passed along to those of us who try to avoid the chaos and drama of "Discordia"...

And I will give them the opportunity to now cash some of the checks they have been writing with their promises.

2019 obviously did not turn out as they, or we the community, intended.

Hopefully the lessons have been learned and the mistakes are not repeated moving forward into 2020.

Hey, DSS got completed...well almost once SoE is done, which made many backers very happy.

DSS combined with the KServersary brought in well over a million dollars in additional funding, making the SBS staff very happy, paychecks for another year at least and more new hires incoming to help with the work.

2020 probably will see the start of some sort of player test access, but some will find such early testing is mostly work and not so much about fun.

Expectations need to be realistic, the game will not launch by the end of next year, just not possible no matter how many people they hire nor how efficient their processes are. (and no, I do not have to be a game developer or insider to be certain about this.)

No telling really at this point what the team is looking at and I am positive Jeromy won't be sharing such in the upcoming dev blog.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/15/2019 6:00:55 PM #67

Posted By Marovec at 05:24 AM - Fri Nov 15 2019

On an unrelated note, I had to chuckle a little on the timing of this recent shiney. [...] I found it a bit ironic that in the midst of a discussion about transparent communication of progress after three years, and Caspians comments about all the stuff in the works, the shiney was...

a concept sketch.

[...]

Not sure how I feel about them still iterating on movement mechanics after three years, or what that might indicate for how long it will take to iterate on each of the hundred or so systems they have planned, but guess it's good they are making progress on it.

Honestly, this recent shiney had the complete oppesite impression on me. Sure I too wished CoE was close to release but then again I'd much rather have a GOOD CoE in five years than another average mmorpg in two. At least for me this shiney was a good reminder to be patient...

11/15/2019 6:38:04 PM #68

Posted By Gnox at 1:00 PM - Fri Nov 15 2019

Posted By Marovec at 05:24 AM - Fri Nov 15 2019

On an unrelated note, I had to chuckle a little on the timing of this recent shiney. [...] I found it a bit ironic that in the midst of a discussion about transparent communication of progress after three years, and Caspians comments about all the stuff in the works, the shiney was...

a concept sketch.

[...]

Honestly, this recent shiney had the complete oppesite impression on me. Sure I too wished CoE was close to release but then again I'd much rather have a GOOD CoE in five years than another average mmorpg in two. At least for me this shiney was a good reminder to be patient...

It was mostly said in jest, and I do see where you are coming from.

However, I'll honestly say that one of the last things I hope to gain from any type of update or peak at work is a "reminder to be patient".

Still, different strokes and all that.

EDIT:

To add some constructive feedback to that comment, let me mention some things that I do hope to gain from SBS communication:

• Insight into the development.

• Some form of tangible progess.

• Transparency in terms of current state of affairs.

• New information on systems.

• Proof of concept for the myriad of complex systems they are designing.

• Lists of work done, in progress, and yet to start.

• Roadmaps of short and long term goals, and updates on reaching them.

Long story short, quantifiable items that build confidence in SBS' ability to deliver the product they have promised in return for our donations.

Now, I am not saying that every communication needs to have all of these things, or even that some of the communication they do provide doesn't occasionally hit a few of those items.

But when I talk about "transparent" communication, it is a matter of quality vs quantity for me.

At the beginning, there was a fair amount of both (though, as I mentioned, I am starting to question the quality). Over time, the emphasis seemed to shift to quantity (though they did very well for a while after all the DSS delays, which is to be expected given the situation they were in). Lately, I have seen, frankly, a lack in either metric.

Bottom line, I want evidence of progress. Not fluff, not lore, not reminders how hard it is to make a game, not community journals or dev interviews, not concept art sketches...

Clear, demonstrable evidence of their ability to make this game.

I know it's a big ask, but that's what I would like to see.

The game may take 5 more years...I get that, and frankly I support it. But I will feel a whole lot better about the journey if it includes some milemarkers that we are still on the right path.

Unfortunately, words just don't cut it. They have burned that bridge. They may be able to rebuild it, and I hope they do, but until then, the words dont mean much to me.

Imgur

11/15/2019 10:17:58 PM #69

Posted By Marovec at 12:38 PM - Fri Nov 15 2019

Bottom line, I want evidence of progress. Not fluff, not lore, not reminders how hard it is to make a game, not community journals or dev interviews, not concept art sketches...

I think we all want to see that and the proof will come with an alpha release, but there is really nothing to do but wait. Either they will prove that they can do it and we'll have an alpha or they won't.

Everyone just has to find something else to do in the interim than be glued to the Chronicles of Elyria forums. It's not quite ready for the kind of day to day devotion people are giving it quite frankly.

11/15/2019 10:33:20 PM #70

Posted By Marovec at 7:38 PM - Fri Nov 15 2019

To add some constructive feedback to that comment, let me mention some things that I do hope to gain from SBS

I, too, see your point and I have to agree: Information, transparency and progress (even small visually representative progress if that's the progress that they make atm) is what we need. Me personally I'm fine with concepts and "conceptual progress" as long as I can understand and trust it's "real". No white washed exaggerations of how great and fast everything goes. Just plain regular feedback of what they've got. But I understand that's not for everyone and some community members may want more than that.

In the end like Hieronymus said, we all want to see proof. But I think the best we can do at the moment is keep our faiths, keep our patience and keep adressing concerns and criticism in a polite, factual and constructive way to keep communication between SbS and the community going.

11/17/2019 3:54:00 AM #71

Posted By Marovec Fri Nov 15 2019

Now, I am not saying that every communication needs to have all of these things, or even that some of the communication they do provide doesn't occasionally hit a few of those items.

>... Bottom line, I want evidence of progress. Not fluff, not lore, not reminders how hard it is to make a game, not community journals or dev interviews, not concept art sketches...

Unfortunately, words just don't cut it. They have burned that bridge. They may be able to rebuild it, and I hope they do, but until then, the words dont mean much to me.

It seems to me, you actually need a deliverable in your own hands that you can play. If words do not mean much, no matter how many tickboxes / timeline are given, those can be regard as just words.

In terms of the deliverable we know: Prelyria. So far, we have seen clips for venturing a dungeon ( which someone would argue is an empty basement), the interaction with NPC (the knowledge system), some combat and parkour footage, and of course the sound effect videos earlier.

TBH, everything shown so far is proof that they are working on the deliverable that you want. So if SBS tell you the deliverable is not ready yet, what do you want?

A clip showing the current status of combat? like this and this? We got this months ago.

So what do you want? A list of things that is not yet done? And as things are not yet done, by nature, all the devs can do is tell you, IN WORDS.

Or you want a 10 minute video of the monitor of one of the devs working on the codes / animation ?

I believe if we are to ask for better communications, we have to be more precise on what we want. From there, we can start a discussion why disclosing this info is possible / good / unhelpful etc.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

11/17/2019 10:53:32 AM #72

Posted By Roarer at 04:54 AM - Sun Nov 17 2019

(...)It seems to me, you actually need a deliverable in your own hands that you can play. If words do not mean much, no matter how many tickboxes / timeline are given, those can be regard as just words(...) TBH, everything shown so far is proof that they are working on the deliverable that you want. So if SBS tell you the deliverable is not ready yet, what do you want?(...) I believe if we are to ask for better communications, we have to be more precise on what we want(...)

Even though that wasn't directed towards me, I'm going to chip in my two cents there, as I am in a somewhat similar situation to Marovec. What I'd love to see is a 'concrete' description of the functionality SBS aims to implement at roughly what level of 'completion' in their first (non friends and family) PrElyria release. Followed by roughly how far into each individual feature they are at this point, together with a short video of that exact functionality. That should include:

1. load balancing of the server
  2. amount of AI that can be currently handled
  3. procedural world generation
  4. story/Soulbound engine
  5. information tokens
  6. terrain layers and network traffic

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

11/17/2019 4:16:32 PM #73

@Roarer

Those are fair points, and when viewed solely in the light of the post you responded to, would probably be the end of it.

However, that post was simply the most recent in a series of comments that basically started with this post.

Now, I don't expect anyone to reread every comment I have made in this thread, so let me try to give a synopsis.

It's not just about progress, it about progress in context. By that I mean, what progress are they making in relation to:

1) Where they implied they were over the course of 3+ years (i.e. as compared to what was talked about in the Kickstarter, what was shown in the Pre-Alpha Progress Update and the Silver Run Mine Demo, and talked about in the Adventure Completion: From Pre to Alpha blog from last year).

2) Their ability to create the complex systems they have talked about over the years (i.e. NPC AI at a scale we have never seen in an MMO, complex and interconnected world ecology, in-depth domain management, reactive story engine, etc.).

3) Where they are going (Accurate portrayal of the roadmap and goal milestones I mentioned - I get this one will likely be done with words, but has been demonstrated over time with action - which would indicate effective planning).

The "progress" they have shown isn't viewed in a vacuum. It is progress from something (where they started) towards something (first testing phase, completed product, etc.).

Right now, your response (and frankly, their presentation) seems to highlight it in a vacuum:

"Look at what we have done - we are making progress!"

However, when viewed with context, it doesn't look like progress, it looks like they started over.

Nothing they have shown indicates forward movement from those things I linked. Nothing they have shown indicates an ability to bring the hugely ambitious systems and world they have advertised to fruition. Nothing they have shown indicates an ability to effectively plan development over time.

To be clear, again, I am not talking about the graphics - I understand what they have said regarding their choice to use the low-poly client for iteration and testing.

This is about presenting the game (via direct statements, and implication) as being at X starting point (and building from there), when in reality (at least, from what I can see) it was actually no where near as far along as they led us to believe.

Bottom line, for me (and many others), what they have shown does not build confidence when viewed in the context of what they have said over time, and what they are trying to achieve.

Imgur

11/17/2019 4:57:25 PM #74

Posted By Marovec at 6:16 PM - Sun Nov 17 2019

2) Their ability to create the complex systems they have talked about over the years (i.e. NPC AI at a scale we have never seen in an MMO, complex and interconnected world ecology, in-depth domain management, reactive story engine, etc.).

Nothing they have shown indicates forward movement from those things I linked. Nothing they have shown indicates an ability to bring the hugely ambitious systems and world they have advertised to fruition. Nothing they have shown indicates an ability to effectively plan development over time.

That's the thing which worries me most of all personally.

11/18/2019 1:54:36 AM #75

Whenever I see remarks like this,

" I'd much rather have a GOOD CoE in five years than another average mmorpg in two."

I think, why not a good COE in three years, considering they are using such revolutionary processes after all.

Regarding this,

"So what do you want? A list of things that is not yet done?

Sure, a few years back Jeromy published a list of almost 300 promised features for COE. I think it would be great if he would provide an update on the original list. (I can even provide a link to them if somehow they've been misplaced.) 😁

Doesn't have to be flashy, just a simple statement for each item, say, Done, In progress, or TBC.

If they could actually demo a few, say Animal Husbandry or whatever, great, but for starters just let folks know where each item stands.