COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Slavery/Indentured Servitude will be easily doable.

Now the game won't have slave/indenture contracts, but it really only takes 2 forces to make such thing happen.

1. You need to have a government/leader make laws like.

a. Citizenship/free papers- You show your certificate of freedom to the court you are protected.

b. Landowners own the food

and

c. Contract breaking is illegal.

II. You simply need a judge who will only uphold the law to protect those with their "free papers" on them. Meaning that that the masters of the slaves/servants can do whatever they want to them but they can not do anything back without punishment.

This will probably become more common when people start creating colonies/nations on other lands outside the main continent. Convince people to get on the ship, then lock the ship when they get onto the new land, and they are stuck there.

Money making scheme that is bound to happen because capitol lol.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

11/17/2019 2:55:37 AM #1

I pray for the lost soul that will try to implement this. None of the governments save for a like maybe 1 have enough people to enforce this.

11/17/2019 3:01:10 AM #2

Just remember it is not illegal for people to pack up and leave. Even if you do make it illegal to leave I dont see any domain accepting your refugees enforcing those laws or penalizing them even if those laws are kingdom wide.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

11/17/2019 3:07:28 AM #3

Posted By Gunghoe at 9:55 PM - Sat Nov 16 2019

I pray for the lost soul that will try to implement this. None of the governments save for a like maybe 1 have enough people to enforce this.

You don't really need to enforce anything, you simply don't convict the free class unless they attack other members of the free class. The slave/servant class can't really do anything to resist because they know they can be killed without penalty under law.

Not only that but I suspect the population will rise substantially as people immigrate for the ability to make free capitol and as government send their criminals assuming they allow exile as a form of punishment.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

11/17/2019 3:09:47 AM #4

Sounds more like a recipe for a thriving market in smuggled food. Also, that’s not slavery; that’s a starving peasantry, and they will leave.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

11/17/2019 7:55:57 AM #5

Such policies are unlikely to work on player characters, because players will either find some way to circumvent them or simply abandon their characters. It's just not fun to be a slave, less fun to play as a slave, and the drawing card of any voluntary recreational activity is fun.

Whether the policies will work on NPCs depends upon how NPC scripts are coded. Somehow I cannot imagine Snipehunter, in particular, allowing NPCs to be so easily enslaved without some adversity happening to the PCs attempting to do it.

11/17/2019 7:12:57 PM #6

Step one of this plan relies on the ability to write laws that make everyone guilty by default unless you say they're not. I don't see sbs allowing this.

11/17/2019 7:54:21 PM #7

are there town registries? can laws affect people differently depending on town registries? I assume exile is allowed, meaning it is a crime for the identity to enter town. Meaning there is a list of people that can't go into town without losing spirit if caught.

I really hope that there can be a law that all people entering town must be identified by the gate guards. Then only non-criminals and fake/stolen identities can legally enter towns. Is there a mechanic that identifies a person without knowing their name? Such as, I don't know his name, but he's a regular at the tavern.

Bandit (unregistered?) towns will become a real thing that criminals/exiles go to?

11/17/2019 11:23:33 PM #8

A king is only as good as the country he governs, and it's the people that make the country.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

11/18/2019 7:52:39 AM #9

Posted By Avastar at 11:54 AM - Sun Nov 17 2019

I really hope that there can be a law that all people entering town must be identified by the gate guards. Then only non-wanted people and fake/stolen identities can legally enter towns. ...

I think this would be better worded as "non-exiled". When I first read it, it seemed to me to refer to a town that did not want its own law-abiding residents. What a way to empty a town! You referred to such people as exiles earlier, and "wanted" in either interpretation, doesn't really apply to people who are already exiled.

11/18/2019 8:11:21 AM #10

Actually even if you would be able to create these laws I don’t think the NPCs will be able to check the content of player made papers. I mean you have to implement some kind of security criteria that is making the official piece of written paper technically different to a normal piece of written paper and the devs will most likely not implement a special mechanic for this.

I think the other way around it would be easier if you really want such a system. I mean creating a contract that you willingly give up your personal rights to someone or that you will work for someone without a defined payment or end point. Basically the system would still not recognize the content but this way you could always declare such a contract as failed and this way declare the contractual partner to a criminal as breaking contracts will most likely be generally illegal.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

11/18/2019 3:40:41 PM #11

There is a difference between illegal (you broke an implicit law) and what happens when you fail to fulfill a contract. Will you throw farmers in jail for not delivering enough corn? No. They'll just pay the penalties defined in the contract for the breach of said contract.

11/18/2019 5:47:55 PM #12

I wouldn't mind PvE slavery, I don't think players can be trusted with PvP slavery to be honest or at least if CoE would have PvP slavery I think it would turn away way more people than it would bring into the game. Ark, you can put people in cages or trap them in your buildings. A lot of people play on unofficial servers where you are forced to released people or play on a PvE server. If Ark was just a mega server, I'm sure a lot of people would have dropped it. I like PvP but getting locked in a cage and fed your own poop until I finally gave up and logged off was not fun lol.

11/19/2019 3:34:09 AM #13

If a player is not enjoying the game, they simply wont play. If nobility /landlords will pull such thing, they wont end with a bunch of serfs, but with an empty game, in best scenario a bunch of opcs which are now npcs.

I know that some people are scared of players and would prefer to play kingdom sim with their npcs, and a few buddies. Abuse of power like this will probably be attempted.
and if permitted and no reasonably intensive counterplay to it availiable, it can kill the game if it actually works and becomes prevalent.

Because players who dont play wont pay to sustain the game and will more likely rage and post negative reviews to paint a horrible and in this scenario realistic picture of the game to discourage people.

11/19/2019 4:47:42 AM #14

yeah pc and ntc slavery bad, just say no. but i'm sure there will be sinister ways to use contracts, implicit and explicit. be very careful when traveling in a ship. they could literally leave you on a deserted island.

i bet meta-contracts and agreements will be beneficial. like a player code of conduct, quoting Pirates of the Caribbean, "the code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules." we can self-regulate in addition to letting the game regulate good and evil actions.

11/19/2019 7:32:35 AM #15

I'm quite certain that many a lord will attempt to use coercive methods to force their resident populations to do what the lord wishes. Much of their success will depend upon the degree of lack of skill with which NPC and OPC scripts are written, and upon the gullibility of players.