COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
A million and one questions not covered in the sticky!

Hello! I've recently discovered this amazingly ambitious project a few days ago from a spontaneous conversation about player-built MMOs. The glory days of SWG and Ultima are all but nicely catalogued legends to me, and I've been pining for something like Elyria since I was but a wee thing.

That being said, this project raises LOTS of questions, and quite it's fair share of skepticism. As much as I don't want to believe this is the most elaborate con in gaming history, I've been burned before. I've got a number of questions for the community before I commit and purchase a pledge, and the answers I get will influence my tier.

A bit of exposition, just so people know my frame of mind: I've wanted a player-powered game with a fully fleshed, intricate crafting system and player-powered economy since I was a child. EVE is close, but I'm not a fan the extreme odds new players face. Player-shaped towns, lands, cities. The concept behind the Dance of Dynasties is the sole reason I've dived head first into GTA and ARK RP servers.

With all this said, theres a LOT of info to find and digest on my own, so I want to ask questions and try to be as direct as I can, but most of it boils down to this: I want to be a crafter and - most importantly - a merchant. My end goal is to found a trade guild in a capital.

1. What sort of systems (if any) have been announced to keep the in-game economy from hyper-inflating?

2. Will inter-server communication and trade be possible?

3. Do I need to purchase a bloodline to hold land at launch?

4. N/A

5. Is there any concrete succession system in place for inevitable assassinations? How would coups work if someone's paid money to raise a kingdom?

6. What do we know thus far about crafting? How dynamic is it projected to be?

7. How long will it take to walk from the northern tip of the map to the southern? What about by cart or boat?

8. Will higher-ups roles such as mayorship or bloodlines be locked to founders only at launch? If so, will they become available through gameplay or purchase post-launch?

9. As a NA-W player focused on crafting and trading, which kingdom's/map areas should I be keeping an eye on?

Phew. I know that's a lot at once, but my head is in the clouds with the possibilities, and I want to ground myself before I fly too close to the sun and burn myself. To anyone that's read this and plans to answer, I thank you for your time and look forward to entrenching myself in the community!

11/18/2019 8:30:15 AM #1

I cant answer all of your question, just because I dont know. But will try and answer the ones I do know.

1. Probally not, atleast there isnt word of it. Also all servers will have a slightly different story and technological advancements.

2. To have land immediately at launch yes, as you will be able to buy it with expo point in exposition. But you will be able to purchase land using ingame currency from the count table without a bloodline package.

4.Merchandise Tokens? As I dont know what you mean, please clarify this one.

1. Mechanically there is. Your childs cant be killed till the come of age. You can also lock their NPC codes so only you or trusted people can spark into these upon your own demise, given that you accumulated enough story points.

2. Their isnt much known or shown recently. But in the past there where some shinies and DJ on it. At this moment I have to say it would be skill based. Both on the player skill as character.

3. A kingdom is about as big as a state so it will take you awhile. (think the comparison was a state) Anyway most duchies will already take several hours by foot.

4. The will not be locked. You can achieve a mayor position or even king with enough work (and support). Currently none of these position are purchaseable and wont be when the game is live. The last confirmed time you can get a title is in the Settlers of Elyria event. which is a reversed auction.

Well seems that the coding system is off it scrambles my numbers :(

11/18/2019 8:41:10 AM #2
  1. The Economy is player run, so it would depend on the players to keep it at a rate affordable to those around.

2. No, the servers are completely independent from one another.

3. No you can purchase land via in game means. Bloodline allows you to partake in exposition which is the world building phase prior to launch using ep which is purchased with real money.

4. I am not sure what you mean by merchandise tokens.

5. If you’re talking about heirs yes there are heirs in place for if you get assassinated or die etc. However you need to ensure you play enough to be able to have enough sparks in order to spark into the character. As for the people who paid for kingdoms and stuff, they paid to start as the ruler of those areas. They are aware that they will not always be the ruler of those kingdoms and domains. Everything in game can be lost, including your title/position.

6. They intend for the crafting system to be extremely in depth with people who are extremely well crafters in different areas of the assembly line. Like a legendary handle crafter, blade crafter, hilt crafter, etc. It’s suppose to act as a “mini game” feature without being a mini game. If you intend to accomplish a high level in crafting or a profession it will take time and dedication.

7. I don’t recall this off the top of my head... but I believe by foot it was some where around 48 hours from one side of the continent to the other on foot? But that’s super old so I’ll look up more updated info.

8. At launch yes? Kind of? Depends on if you can acquire enough story points during the testing phases like KoE because they wanted to have an award system of some sort to encourage people to find bugs and the like, to be able to spawn into a higher position. However it might require too much. But you are completely able to rise the ranks and acquire those titles in game after launch. DJ 18 talks a lot about that and so does “what’s in store for you” for the responsibilities of those roles.

9. All of them. Everyone will be able to provide you some sort of position or area for anything you’d like to do. All the communities are extremely helpful and inviting. I highly suggest looking at the Angelica forum section for orgs, general and domains. But I do not suggest following them to the T as they will not be able to provide any such promises until there is a game to play. Try and follow their goals as well as their interests to see if they are in line with what you’d like to do and scout around till you’re able to find a perfect home for yourself (:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/28514/mayorsbarons-great-start-here

Here’s a post I made for mayors to describe some of the responsibilities as well as how to obtain that position. You can also acquire a title during settlers of Elyria when that comes but it requires you to be bloodline+ for package.

11/18/2019 8:48:09 AM #3

Just going to remove 4 for now, I confused myself a bit with marketplace items and the token system. Thank you both for your answers!

11/18/2019 8:48:59 AM #4

Here’s a nice post by Ranulf about a visual representation of the maps and stuff.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22498/parcels-settlements-and-counties-a-visual-representation

11/18/2019 2:17:35 PM #5

The questions have mostly been satisfactorily answered, but for Question #1 I will say this: There are finite resources (for the most part; you can keep planting more flora and fauna does reproduce). For instance, there are no resource spawn points for you to spam. There is a set amount of precious metals, once it's all been mined, there is no getting more; you have to recycle what is already out there. There are no monster spawn points for you to spam. The things you kill only drop what is on them. For instance, wildlife isn't going to have coin on them, nor are they going to have anything other than what you see on them. So you'll be able to get hide/blood/bone.... things like that, but no spamming monsters for gold or anything like that.

For Question #6, this DJ answers your question (which I think you will thoroughly enjoy reading): DJ 21 - Crafting Redux

For Question #7, the beginning continent is between the size of Connecticut and New Jersey. It will take approximately 48 IRL hours to walk from one end to the other.... but that's as the crow flies. There is no 'fast travel' like in other games. There are animal drawn carts and things like that to speed up your travel a little bit, but nothing really fast like warps. There are character survival requirements (eating, drinking, sleeping, etc.), elevation changes, obstacles, things/people that will try to kill you, etc. that will make the trip longer.

11/18/2019 4:25:06 PM #6

Posted By BrassDragon at

1. What sort of systems (if any) have been announced to keep the in-game economy from hyper-inflating?

2. Will inter-server communication and trade be possible?

3. Do I need to purchase a bloodline to hold land at launch?

4. N/A

5. Is there any concrete succession system in place for inevitable assassinations? How would coups work if someone's paid money to raise a kingdom?

6. What do we know thus far about crafting? How dynamic is it projected to be?

7. How long will it take to walk from the northern tip of the map to the southern? What about by cart or boat?

8. Will higher-ups roles such as mayorship or bloodlines be locked to founders only at launch? If so, will they become available through gameplay or purchase post-launch?

9. As a NA-W player focused on crafting and trading, which kingdom's/map areas should I be keeping an eye on?

1. finite resources, of course players can still go full Zimbabwe and make their currency worthless by minting so much of it.

2. communication obviously by metagaming, but not trade

3. not necessarily, but it's the only way to have a guarantee

4. gotta keep this in to stop auto-formatting from shuffling numbers

5. ?

6. Very dynamic, though development will prioritize what's being focused on the most in game, so taking a very niche craft might end up in a dead end for a while.

7. There used to be a time given, I know with a boat it's still at least an hour. iirc it's 20 minutes to cross a kingdom with a fast ship.

8. No. In exposition you'll be able to take over NPCs, and normally you'll be able to be born into that NPC's family and inherit their holdings.

9. all of them

11/18/2019 6:12:49 PM #7

Let me just correct the person that thought that a kingdom was the size of a state. The entire starting continent is about the size of Connecticut+Rhode Island. A double kingdom is about Rhode Island's size.

11/18/2019 6:31:17 PM #8

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know that expressing the scope of the domains in terms of "units of Skyrim" has been pretty effective in emphasizing just how huge the game is supposed to be.

When you say "it's the size of Rhode Island" - people often think "well, that's a pretty small state."

When you tell them, "Our duchy is the size of X Skyrim maps"...it makes it a bit easier to compare apples to apples.

Imgur

11/18/2019 9:13:46 PM #9

Posted By Marovec at 10:31 AM - Mon Nov 18 2019

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know that expressing the scope of the domains in terms of "units of Skyrim" has been pretty effective in emphasizing just how huge the game is supposed to be.

When you say "it's the size of Rhode Island" - people often think "well, that's a pretty small state."

When you tell them, "Our duchy is the size of X Skyrim maps"...it makes it a bit easier to compare apples to apples.

Starting continent is around 18,000 km^2.
Skyrim is approximately 37.1 km^2.

11/18/2019 9:23:25 PM #10

Posted By Protey at 4:13 PM - Mon Nov 18 2019

There it is, thanks.

I know when we did the math back in DSS, and I told a community member our county was like 6 skyrim or something (multi county), they were a bit shocked - it really put it in perspective.

Imgur

11/19/2019 2:43:26 PM #11

Posted By Marovec at 3:23 PM - Mon Nov 18 2019

There it is, thanks.

I know when we did the math back in DSS, and I told a community member our county was like 6 skyrim or something (multi county), they were a bit shocked - it really put it in perspective.

I understand how measuring things in skyrims can work but when people understand the size of a fake computer generated world better than a real life state... I just have to shake my head.

11/19/2019 2:44:47 PM #12

Holy smokes, putting it into context of Skyrim maps definitely helps. 6 Skyrim maps for a COUNTY is mind-boggling. If the dev team can actually pull off a map that massive without it being a majority of barren wasteland, I can't wait to see how this game takes off.

Another question that came to mind: if I buy, say, the first tier bloodline pledge, do I get a discount to upgrade? If so, how much?

11/19/2019 3:37:15 PM #13

Posted By Malais at 09:43 AM - Tue Nov 19 2019

Posted By Marovec at 3:23 PM - Mon Nov 18 2019

There it is, thanks.

I understand how measuring things in skyrims can work but when people understand the size of a fake computer generated world better than a real life state... I just have to shake my head.

lol, yeah, I can see that. But, it's the verisimilitude vs veracity thing. You can walk across a duchy in like 6 hours, or whatever...you can't walk across Rhode Island in 6 hours.

Putting it in "skyrim units" makes a more legitimate comparison, I think.

EDIT:

Disregard...evidently you can, lol.

Imgur

11/19/2019 3:54:42 PM #14

Posted By BrassDragon at 3:44 PM - Tue Nov 19 2019

Holy smokes, putting it into context of Skyrim maps definitely helps. 6 Skyrim maps for a COUNTY is mind-boggling. If the dev team can actually pull off a map that massive without it being a majority of barren wasteland, I can't wait to see how this game takes off.

Another question that came to mind: if I buy, say, the first tier bloodline pledge, do I get a discount to upgrade? If so, how much?

Yhea it will be a big map. Most people probally wont leave their kingdom.

For your question about discounts. Technically you dont get a discount on the higher tiers but the amount you paid for said Bloodline package will be deducted of the price for the next tiers.

For example: Bloodline is 135$, if you buy this the following tiers will be reduced by this amount: Settler = 50$ Proprietor = 100$

If you would buy the settler the price of proprietor will get lowered by another 50$.

Simply put you only pay the difference between the package you have and the package you upgrade to.

11/22/2019 8:35:39 PM #15

Does that mean they take away the lower package and replace it with next? I forget which but one of the packages i was looking at i wanted something from the lower one higher one didnt have.