COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Global Currency Value Conversion System

I am proposing an Elyrian wide agreement between the kingdoms to agree to value the worth of their individual currencies as such.

The value of the coin will be decided by this equation.

Weight of the coin divided by (How much of the material exists globally divided by how much of gold exists globally) the number=value

What do you all think?

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

11/22/2019 5:43:19 PM #1

There isn’t even mechanics for this. I doubt you’ll get very many to agree to this. Currency isn’t even set either.

It’s a good effort though, just my 2 cents.

11/22/2019 6:31:32 PM #2

I agree with violet, giving the value of how much wealth and resources exist in the world can be majorly abused. I wouldn't disagree with a sort of world treasury that works together to try and understand which kingdoms currency is worth more than others.

Alt text - can be left blank

11/22/2019 7:35:35 PM #3

Is there currency subject matter expert that could summarize (or even comprehensively explain) how to create a currency when none exist?

11/22/2019 7:55:12 PM #4

Posted By Avastar at 11:35 AM - Fri Nov 22 2019

Is there currency subject matter expert that could summarize (or even comprehensively explain) how to create a currency when none exist?

Coin and currency is something that hasn't been hashed out yet, but some thoughts have been shared from snipe on the matter if you look up comments from him, particularly on "mint" -ing coins.

Likely they will allow anyone to create coins that they design unless there are laws making it illegal, but for minting coins for the kingdom it's going to be a restricted crafting that is only doable if you have permission to do it, kinda like crafting replacement signet rings (is the example given)

All of this is coupled with caveats about how it's no where near finished being fleshed out and none of it is finalized though. Coin/currency isn't exactly a priority to get finished for alpha phases from what I can tell

11/22/2019 8:01:12 PM #5

Nothing official on currency at this point as the details are still in flux. You can search the Discord for "from: Snipehunter currency" for a few discussions and comments on their plans.

Divide et Impera

11/22/2019 8:21:48 PM #6

I'd like to hear from a real world currency expert that could summarize how it would be done in reality, and then we can begin to figure out how to modify what really works to ingame

11/22/2019 10:28:06 PM #7

By how much material exists globally, I presume you mean how much exists in circulation as official currency. As far as I'm aware, the studio is not telling us how much of anything exists in the world, but how much of a currency is actually minted and in circulation is known (because it was created) and should drive the value of that currency.

11/22/2019 11:14:53 PM #8

Posted By Hieronymus at 5:28 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

By how much material exists globally, I presume you mean how much exists in circulation as official currency. As far as I'm aware, the studio is not telling us how much of anything exists in the world, but how much of a currency is actually minted and in circulation is known (because it was created) and should drive the value of that currency.

My plan was to send surveyors out to find the actual global amounts, so that an accurate worth of each material can be counted.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

11/22/2019 11:17:37 PM #9

It will very likely be different depending on the kingdom like currency is in the real world depending on the country.

11/22/2019 11:29:16 PM #10

Posted By Sackeshi at 5:14 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

My plan was to send surveyors out to find the actual global amounts, so that an accurate worth of each material can be counted.

Not sure how feasible that will be but it's not practical and certainly not necessary as long as you can distinguish between official currency and counterfeit. This is where the minting process is key. In a game where reverse engineering isn't possible, it may not even be possible to create counterfeit currency, which frankly would be fine.

11/22/2019 11:34:55 PM #11

there are already moneylender professions. and society did exist before we sparked in. it's likely that there will be currency already in the game and we get to control it how we see fit. it'd be a lot nicer for them to start the process for us.. at least it feels like creating a currency from scratch will be very difficult for non-experts

11/22/2019 11:45:38 PM #12

Honestly there better be some sort of currency in game. I can't walk into a tavern and throw a dead duck on the bar and order some mead.

Alt text - can be left blank

11/23/2019 12:05:31 AM #13

Posted By Avastar at 5:34 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

there are already moneylender professions. and society did exist before we sparked in. it's likely that there will be currency already in the game and we get to control it how we see fit

Last I heard, this was the direction the studio was leaning.

11/23/2019 12:06:34 AM #14

Posted By JohnnyViscerate at 5:45 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

Honestly there better be some sort of currency in game. I can't walk into a tavern and throw a dead duck on the bar and order some mead.

Imagine figuring out the pricing/exchange rate on that. XD

11/23/2019 12:14:26 AM #15

Sir that only pays for half a pint.