COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Playing on multiple servers

Is this possible?(not in the long term)

I live in new zealand and want to play with NA-W American friends i play other games with, but dont want to invest several hundred dollars if i can't have the fallback of being able to play on oceanic server with my sparks and souls if my connection isn't playable.(this is extremely variable per person, some games play fine with 200+ ping, some not at all or people can't handle it)

I dont particularly want to waste resources just to find out if is playable for me or not.(it's not something that "recommendations" covers before servers active)

11/22/2019 8:55:01 PM #1

Souls will be server bound when you get them so you would have to purchase a new soul that you could use on the second server. That being said, you would not have to purchase a new copy of the game or make a different account to have a character on more than one server.

Sparks of life though are not server bound in any way as they simply let you put your soul into a character.

Also naturally all of your stuff from your character on one server will never be able to transfer over to another server as the game is a persistent world and you can't move stuff/characters between the servers.

11/22/2019 9:04:29 PM #2

Especially for people based in New Zealand, I'd really recommend to join the OCE server. The community over there is awesome so you'll quickly make new friends. Use Discord to stay in touch with those American friends.

As for trying out NA-W, it has been repeatedly said by Caspian that you will suffer for it and really cannot expect a smooth gameplay as the servers will have to stream a considerable amount of data to you. The game won't be playeable with 200+ ping. Check out the latest shiny for example. You will not be able to balance yourself on any narrow bridge with a ping like that.

So is playing on multiple servers technically possible? Yes, but with the restrictions Labbe has listed. Is it recommended? No.

Brash

11/22/2019 9:43:49 PM #3

The playability is up to me and my choice, question is more towards items and pledge packs. For example if i get settler pack is my merchant pack, horse and wagon etc used up on that server or can I have that starting boost on whichever server.

I will test how i find NA-W server first(bunch of games oceanic servers aren't much better from NZ) but i wont bother with anything but the basic pledge packs if it's all potentially wasted.

11/22/2019 10:08:32 PM #4

I believe pledge packages are bound to your primary character, which in your case would probably create a chicken and the egg scenario. You'll have to commit to the server before you will be able to judge its playability.

But we haven't seen much of the game yet, and as the studio said a few months ago, they're still figuring things out so really everything could be subject to change. Nothing is final until the game is in your hands. Therefore, choices like the one you're contemplating come with some degree of risk this far ahead of release.

11/23/2019 12:05:41 AM #5

Posted By Kazellion at 3:43 PM - Fri Nov 22 2019

The playability is up to me and my choice, question is more towards items and pledge packs. For example if i get settler pack is my merchant pack, horse and wagon etc used up on that server or can I have that starting boost on whichever server.

I will test how i find NA-W server first(bunch of games oceanic servers aren't much better from NZ) but i wont bother with anything but the basic pledge packs if it's all potentially wasted.

You will have to select a server to play with your Settler pack and it and all items it comes with will be bound to that server. Not sure there will be a stage for you to get an idea on playability before you have to lock a server. Prelyria would likely be your first chance but probably won't be on the same exact servers as the actual game. It will also be the low-poly graphics which will make a difference as well. Sorry.

Divide et Impera

11/23/2019 6:42:49 PM #6

My recommendation would be to pick the OCE server with your main, and use a second soul/spark to play in the NA-W with your friends. You will probably have someone that will let you spark into their family given your friendship, so that character will get some benefit from the family, including likely help with starting gear. Your OCE character will need to be more standalone at first, so will need the things the Settler pack offers to get your strongest ping character off the the best start.

This way you get a great connection and community to grow with in OCE, and also get to enjoy playing with your existing friends, with a little bit of their help, in NA-W.

11/24/2019 1:03:36 PM #7

Posted By Juris Primus at 6:42 PM - Sat Nov 23 2019

My recommendation would be to pick the OCE server with your main, and use a second soul/spark to play in the NA-W with your friends.

Nail. Head.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

11/24/2019 5:34:16 PM #8

Second soul pack that is bound to west to play with friends*

11/25/2019 4:29:33 AM #9

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 09:34 AM - Sun Nov 24 2019

Second soul pack that is bound to west to play with friends*

I didnt know souls had to be bound during launch

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

11/25/2019 4:32:23 AM #10

Each soulpack has 3 souls. The package you buy is 1 soulpack that is bound to the server you lock in to. So if you want to play on other servers you have to get a soulpack bound to those servers.

11/25/2019 5:26:30 AM #11

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 8:32 PM - Sun Nov 24 2019

Each soulpack has 3 souls. The package you buy is 1 soulpack that is bound to the server you lock in to. So if you want to play on other servers you have to get a soulpack bound to those servers.

So I cant use my two other souls on other servers, I have to buy 3 souls worth in a "pack" to play on other servers, was never told this. Saddening

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

11/25/2019 5:44:22 AM #12

It has always been stated that your package contents were locked to your server you choose.