COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Ransoming, holding captive.

I thought this was an interesting subject, will it be possible to hold other players captive for ransom? Suppose two kingdoms are at war and a count is imprisoned by the enemy kingdom, would that kingdom be able to ransom the count to his liege or his family, or hold the count in imprisonment until the war is over if the payment is never made. For my question, it doesn't necessarily have to be anyone of significant standing though, would kidnapping and holding players captive be possible at all?

discord insaned#6905

11/23/2019 9:54:56 PM #1

Don't have the source readily available, but the last this was touched upon in general it will be impossible to bind another player or move their body/corpse with a few exceptions.

• If the player is a criminal it may be possible to bind them as long as they are being taken to the nearest place that can hold them accountable for their crimes.

• It may be possible to move a friendly, injured, player toward a place where they can seek medical assistance.

• Upon permadeath, the corpse will be fully lootable/harvestable and able to be moved.

With the exception of the permadeath example above, the other examples were still "in flux" and haven't been finalized one way or the other last I had seen.

11/24/2019 3:13:56 AM #2

I always felt that NPCs should be suject to things like hostage situations, slavery, etc at the very least.

Even if players were subject to slavery, shackles, binding, etc there could be mechanics like popping your thumb to slip out of metal binding or through the amount of strength you have to wiggle out of binding until you are free are just a few ideas on how to make it viable.

I think if there were escape mechanics for any situation that caused you to pop your thumb, arm, etc out of the socket combined with anything potentially being a lockpick if you break something or just picking up objects as weapons anyone could become a slave or hostage and escape eventually.

Surrender to potentially save death or spirit loss is a choice like anything else. And NPCs most of all should have some aspect of self preservation through surrender to continue on rather than just die for no reason.

And besides there could be various situations that come with fame for choosing mercy over killing for certain religions but also situations like slavery that presents a fine line between ransoming captives and treating them fairly or poorly or cultural and affinity infamy hits or grevious outcomes for people who do so that if they are in any leadership position could lead to riots or uprisings that play well with RP or gameplay.

Players could free themselves, others, liberate their comrads, pay ransoms, or buy the freedom of enslaved npcs.

Also in the case you are binding a criminal to face sentencing decide where the closest jail is if the criminal is wanted in multiple domains which arent in the place they are caught? Or if you have to go far out of your way based on the terrain which could take you out of the way to finally turn them in.

Or how the game would determine how someone is even friendly. If you are in the middle of nowhere and multiple groups are fighting and the person helping you saves you but is not a friendly but picks you up and their safety point is not actually safe to you but is part of your kingdom, duchy, county etc but is not really friendly.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

11/24/2019 9:30:49 PM #3

Posted By Labbe at 4:54 PM - Sat Nov 23 2019

Don't have the source readily available, but the last this was touched upon in general it will be impossible to bind another player or move their body/corpse with a few exceptions.

• If the player is a criminal it may be possible to bind them as long as they are being taken to the nearest place that can hold them accountable for their crimes.

• It may be possible to move a friendly, injured, player toward a place where they can seek medical assistance.

• Upon permadeath, the corpse will be fully lootable/harvestable and able to be moved.

With the exception of the permadeath example above, the other examples were still "in flux" and haven't been finalized one way or the other last I had seen.

I didn't know those things, cool!

discord insaned#6905

11/24/2019 9:33:57 PM #4

Posted By Melkar at 10:13 PM - Sat Nov 23 2019

I always felt that NPCs should be suject to things like hostage situations, slavery, etc at the very least.

Even if players were subject to slavery, shackles, binding, etc there could be mechanics like popping your thumb to slip out of metal binding or through the amount of strength you have to wiggle out of binding until you are free are just a few ideas on how to make it viable.

I think if there were escape mechanics for any situation that caused you to pop your thumb, arm, etc out of the socket combined with anything potentially being a lockpick if you break something or just picking up objects as weapons anyone could become a slave or hostage and escape eventually.

Surrender to potentially save death or spirit loss is a choice like anything else. And NPCs most of all should have some aspect of self preservation through surrender to continue on rather than just die for no reason.

And besides there could be various situations that come with fame for choosing mercy over killing for certain religions but also situations like slavery that presents a fine line between ransoming captives and treating them fairly or poorly or cultural and affinity infamy hits or grevious outcomes for people who do so that if they are in any leadership position could lead to riots or uprisings that play well with RP or gameplay.

Players could free themselves, others, liberate their comrads, pay ransoms, or buy the freedom of enslaved npcs.

Also in the case you are binding a criminal to face sentencing decide where the closest jail is if the criminal is wanted in multiple domains which arent in the place they are caught? Or if you have to go far out of your way based on the terrain which could take you out of the way to finally turn them in.

Or how the game would determine how someone is even friendly. If you are in the middle of nowhere and multiple groups are fighting and the person helping you saves you but is not a friendly but picks you up and their safety point is not actually safe to you but is part of your kingdom, duchy, county etc but is not really friendly.

that all makes for very interesting gameplay, completely agree that players will willingly agree to slavery or being held hostage thanks to the death aspect of the game and how self preservation and decision making plays into it.

discord insaned#6905