COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Is now a good time for Settlers of Elyria?

For those who aren't on Discord, here are a few quotations from Caspian today:

We've got a start date now for Settlers of Elyria. I suspect we'll be announcing that soon as well.

Settlers of Elyria is in 2019, if that helps

Or rather, it'll start in 2019. It will be continuing into 2020.

I do have to question whether now is the right time, especially in light of the reasons we were given for the delay in the first place.

Caspian in October:

There's interest in getting the ability to purchase domains and settlements from the map out to players, but in truth, given that a lot of upgrades happened before DSS began via the mayor/count upgrades, SoE at this point is mostly external facing.

Given that, I'd like to put a larger marketing effort behind it, which means making some improvements to the website and making sure the information about the game is easier to access.

Put differently. I anticipate that many/most of the people who wanted to buy settlements or domains previously already have. That means that in order for SoE to be successful we need to be attracting new players into the community. To do that, requires improving some things about the website. So that's where some of the web team's effort is going right now.

There are times of year, like tax refund season, when people have extra money in their wallets and could be easily coaxed into dropping some on something new that catches their eye. This time of year is about as far removed from that as is conceivable. Black Friday. Holiday gift-giving. Big dinners and alcohol-infused celebrations.

Let's assume a December marketing push is successful and generates new interest in CoE. What're the odds those people are going to have the $200+ necessary to participate in Settlers burning a hole in their pocket?

11/27/2019 11:40:17 AM #1

Fair point. I would also think SoE appeals more to the current community, who understand more about what getting their own domain entails and already have some level of investment.

More likely that existing Mayors want to snag the county they are in or existing bloodline a settlement.

I have been wrong before though.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

11/27/2019 1:05:36 PM #2

Posted By ZeroCool at 01:40 AM - Wed Nov 27 2019

I have been wrong before though.

Like that time you helped Joey after he hacked the Gibson?

11/27/2019 2:02:17 PM #3

Well I guess there is never a time that is good for everyone but you could see it also this way…if you are a younger player the money you got during the holidays could be used for a CoE-upgrade or if it starts in December but goes into January and maybe even February you could already have again some spare coins left. Also the coming celebrations might be just troubling for sales in the US market but not for the remaining world and they are thinking about advertising CoE some more in other regions.

Posted By Taco at 2:05 PM - Wed Nov 27 2019

lol

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

11/27/2019 5:41:00 PM #4

We need SoE as soon as possible. The community is sleeping and we need the hype to keep going on. SOE will maintain the hype high for quite a wile. We need it now in December not next year.

11/27/2019 6:14:40 PM #5

The sooner the better.

I hope ,and pray it will be during December.

Holding onto these funds for what I need has been hard since we no longer have gift cards.

11/27/2019 6:22:25 PM #6

Posted By Taco at 2:05 PM - Wed Nov 27 2019

He’s recovering nicely but absolutely 100% not an addict.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

11/27/2019 11:02:17 PM #7

SoE is not just a one month event though. No end date was suggested but we can infer that it would only need to end when they are ready to move into the next phase of development - alpha or perhaps KoE more specifically.

It's much like the title package sales from kickstarter on, but they're selling off settlements and the very land itself in SoE, so it makes a lot of sense to line it up with a marketing effort around peak consumer periods like Xmas when people are already planning and saving for purchases.

11/27/2019 11:27:58 PM #8

My guess would be that IF (and as always, it's a BIG IF) they can get their "poops in groups" and make it functional, that something around the 12th of December would probably be a likely target.

1) They usually drop things on Thursdays.

2) That one gives them a big enough lead window for X-mas.

3) Then it can wrap over into the new year.

(Which means we are probably realistically looking at something around Easter.)

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/28/2019 9:04:10 AM #9

I thought it was going to be after the New Year. From Caspian's quotes in the OP, it looks like he's trading off snagging Xmas-gift cash that's burning holes in pockets against selecting a time when people aren't distracted by other things.

Let's assume a December marketing push is successful and generates new interest in CoE. What're the odds those people are going to have the $200+ necessary to participate in Settlers burning a hole in their pocket?

There will be settlements available for less than $200.

11/28/2019 10:17:00 AM #10

Yeah but if you want to attract new blood, they need to fork out for a Bloodline package first for $135, then add the $60/65 minimum for the cheapest settlement and you arrive at $200. That's a big ask for somebody new to CoE.

Not saying there won't be some who will jump at the idea once they look into it. That's what I did over two years ago.

The value proposition is way off though. I mean I know the mayor package went from $250-$300 which rewards early backers. But a Bloodline package + a little hamlet somewhere for $200 is not great imo.

I'd hope that they do something smart for the event like 50% off the Bloodline package. That'll even get some people upgrading (free accounts from TSP) in order to help their communities build in Expo but they have no wish to run a settlement.

11/28/2019 7:21:19 PM #11

I think most people blow their money for Christmas gifts around Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I know I grab everything early on in December and by Christmas I have money to spend on normal things again. So SoE being end of December-Feb is feasible to me.

Friend Code: 5AE86A

11/29/2019 3:00:11 AM #12

Its the wrong time for it more because he claimed this was going to be some big year and so far it has been a whole lotta nothing with a delayed and quite clunky DSS thrown into the middle of it. I fail to see how this will generate more hype or how SoE paired with lootboxes will attract new people. Some gameplay and a rough alpha one of some sort would attract new people, not more requests for money with no output

11/29/2019 7:04:18 AM #13

Posted By Obento at 09:21 AM - Thu Nov 28 2019

I think most people blow their money for Christmas gifts around Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I know I grab everything early on in December and by Christmas I have money to spend on normal things again. So SoE being end of December-Feb is feasible to me.

It's consumer habits in aggregate that matter. Here's consumercredit's 2017 infographic on holiday spending. As you can see, 63% of respondents to the American Consumer Credit Counseling survey said holiday spending caused some or a lot of financial strain.

ACCC infographic

11/29/2019 9:02:02 PM #14

This is a great time for SoE!

Folks have been primed and waiting. Stop delaying the progress of this. It should launch as soon as they are capable to do so, pushing this back will just continue to push the whole timeline back. Stop thinking so short term.

If your concern is people spending money, this is the perfect time! Everyone is already conditioned to spend money in December! It also makes a great holiday gift. "Hey friend, I know you've been wanting to be a mayor of that town next to us. Here's a gift card, go claim it! Then we can build a really cool player community in our area!"

Finally, any errors or hiccups we see can be addressed right away at the start of the month without causing holiday issue later. Let's get on it!

11/29/2019 10:05:47 PM #15

Posted By Ravenlute at 4:02 PM - Fri Nov 29 2019

This is a great time for SoE!

Folks have been primed and waiting. Stop delaying the progress of this. It should launch as soon as they are capable to do so, pushing this back will just continue to push the whole timeline back. Stop thinking so short term.

If your concern is people spending money, this is the perfect time! Everyone is already conditioned to spend money in December! It also makes a great holiday gift. "Hey friend, I know you've been wanting to be a mayor of that town next to us. Here's a gift card, go claim it! Then we can build a really cool player community in our area!"

Finally, any errors or hiccups we see can be addressed right away at the start of the month without causing holiday issue later. Let's get on it!

This would be about as good a gift as a timeshare lol