COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Shrubland Biome Information

I am just wondering if we, the community, can get a bit more information, pictures or even a google image that accurately reflects SBS's vision of the shrubland biome in terms of how dry, green, sparse or dense the shrubs and/or trees are, how tall and thick the trees are etc.

I have searched for images using google but there is quite a large variation in what it is like depending on where in the world it is located.

Some shrubland is very dry and sparse, others is very green with thick pockets of woodland.

It has me stumped because the secondary most abundant resource in my Duchy of Kilijan in Tylsia OCE is wood and a really can't picture that much useful wood based on the google images.

Thanks in advance Haji

11/29/2019 11:21:51 PM #1

a shrub land with in fact have that large variation of fertility, between dry, dense etc.

In a shrub land you must never expect the larger trees. In a shrub land the more thinner and shorter tree with space between each tree the length of a person should be expect. A shrub land has trees. There may even be forests in them. But you should expect weaker quality trees.

Count of Free Plains, the County whose focus is to create a central home for mercenaries

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34856/New-County-offers-as-its-main-Industry-a-Hub-for-Hires-Hub-for-PvE-PvP-Organizations-solos-groups

11/30/2019 12:42:40 AM #2

Can we also get some details on the salt marsh cause just like the Shrubland, not much info and not many consistent google pics

11/30/2019 2:56:38 AM #3

well you have not really described anything other than the word "salt marsh".

Based on only those descriptions I'd say a it's a marsh (swampy by nature, where crops should not be able to grow well, very wet. lots of insects trees should plentiful; although they'll be on the wild side, while being at the same time very strong. not many animals should be able to live there other than the crocodiles, alligators, anything amphibious by nature)

Oh and salt actually interferes with the growth of anything plant related. Which is why the Romans sowed salt into the soils of the Carthaginians after their defeat. To make sure they suffer for all eternity.

By the word salt. You can imagine it to be connected to the ocean, most likely than an actual salt deposit, becuase salt deposits are most often dry.

The combinations of the words "salt" and "marsh" would most likely lead me to believe that the the entire land is covered in deltas (much like the nile in Egypt, except imagine all of egypt to be interwoven like a spiderweb of deltas and not a desert)

So the person asking about the shrub land had questions to the properties of the trees in shrublands, But all you had was what a salt marsh is. Was there anything specific?

Count of Free Plains, the County whose focus is to create a central home for mercenaries

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34856/New-County-offers-as-its-main-Industry-a-Hub-for-Hires-Hub-for-PvE-PvP-Organizations-solos-groups

11/30/2019 7:27:15 AM #4

I think you are missing the point of this thread. I know what shrubland is because Australia has a tonne of it and I lived in it for 5 years.

I am not after a definition or details pertaining to shrubland on Earth!

I am after:

Posted By HajimeSaikou at

more information, pictures or even a google image that accurately reflects SBS's vision of the shrubland biome in terms of how dry, green, sparse or dense the shrubs and/or trees are, how tall and thick the trees are etc.

because:

The secondary most abundant resource in my Duchy of Kilijan in Tylsia OCE is wood and a really can't picture that much useful wood based.

So I want details about what SBS is planning, not RL stuff!!

11/30/2019 8:31:49 AM #5

Oh I'm terribly sorry I don't think anyone has that information.

11/30/2019 11:38:47 AM #6

Shrublands are exceptionally fertile, and often receive a lot of sunlight. The final ingredient to healthy trees being flowing water. Which is where the river systems come in.

The vast majority of the biome will be open fields, littered with medium sized shrubs that break up an otherwise open land scape. But some areas of the shrubland receive just enough fresh water in order to grow larger plants and crops. The rivers are the go-to place for settlements, and often become a highly industrialized or agricultural system. That's not the end of the story, however.

The shrubland biome is almost constantly dry, until it's hit by large storms and large dumps of rain. Some areas on the shrublands will have environmental factors that cause them to receive more of these storms and rains, especially areas with higher elevations. These areas - again, often at high elevation - are where you'll find trees and interesting flora naturally sprout up. This is in part why the shrubland in Chronicles could have wood as a top resource, despite the fact that most images representing shrublands are often images of open fields. Some areas are more foresty, thanks to higher levels of rainfall or good local river systems.

The trees you find in these forest-like areas are often coniferous, as the coniferous leaves and pine trees that grow them are fire resistant, which is typically an extremely common trait found in plants within the shrublands. Besides that, you could find fruiting trees and more tropical/rainforesty trees in these locations.

11/30/2019 8:45:15 PM #7

Posted By Sir_Pen at 8:56 PM - Fri Nov 29 2019

well you have not really described anything other than the word "salt marsh".

Based on only those descriptions I'd say a it's a marsh (swampy by nature, where crops should not be able to grow well, very wet. lots of insects trees should plentiful; although they'll be on the wild side, while being at the same time very strong. not many animals should be able to live there other than the crocodiles, alligators, anything amphibious by nature)

Oh and salt actually interferes with the growth of anything plant related. Which is why the Romans sowed salt into the soils of the Carthaginians after their defeat. To make sure they suffer for all eternity.

By the word salt. You can imagine it to be connected to the ocean, most likely than an actual salt deposit, becuase salt deposits are most often dry.

The combinations of the words "salt" and "marsh" would most likely lead me to believe that the the entire land is covered in deltas (much like the nile in Egypt, except imagine all of egypt to be interwoven like a spiderweb of deltas and not a desert)

So the person asking about the shrub land had questions to the properties of the trees in shrublands, But all you had was what a salt marsh is. Was there anything specific?

all we have on the salt marsh, is the words salt marsh. anything beyond that has yet to be told to us by the devs, ik how salt works with plants etc but they devs may introduce plant life that thrives on salt who knows and I would love to see more, even a bit more on the salt marsh biome

12/1/2019 4:57:36 PM #8

Interesting.

Yes perhaps what you just said might be the case.

I just got a quote from an super admin saying "Elyria is not Earth".

Something special might be implemented.

12/2/2019 12:49:49 AM #9

Posted By Sir_Pen at 12:57 AM - Mon Dec 02 2019

Interesting.

Yes perhaps what you just said might be the case.

I just got a quote from an super admin saying "Elyria is not Earth".

Something special might be implemented.

Exactly. Which is why I am after the Devs vision of scrubland because who knows what surprises there might be.