COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
The Scribe

I am going to go over some features I believe scribes should have and ways they can be incorporated, I would love to hear ideas people have about the role as scribes are going to play a major part in the game.

The first feature would have to be creating Codecs and Designs, I believe that the best way to do this is to give scribes a 2 person crafting station, which I will be referring to as the scribe desk, to create a codex of a skill or technique, or a blueprint or design, you would need a scribe, and someone who knows the profession to describe the design.

The process is a time investment, both would sit at the table and together create the document, a higher level scribe can drastically decrease the time requirement and have a lower error margin, less errors mean a higher tier product is created ((Less time to learn, and more learnt from it)) while a higher level professional will be able to impart more knowledge on the subject, and know of higher tier techniques or designs ((The reader will learn more relative to how knowledgeable the professional is))

And example of this in practice would be if an old blacksmith wanted to impart the knowledge of a metal striking technique he has honed, him and the scribe would begin the process, they'd both sit down at the table and the blacksmith would select the skill they would like to impart, the process would start then, it might take up to a week depending on the complexity and rarity of the skill, but eventually they make the Codex of Remote Striking, a master tier technique that only x level blacksmiths can learn.

There are for sure possibilities for mini games to increase quality, and decrees the time cost, the scribe could have a trace a symbol type of mini game, that encompasses the speed and precision aspect, the profession player should also have some kind of mini game, a consideration is they are placed in a sort of forge of the mind, where they would go through the motions of the skill as to not put them out of their comfort zone, but I am not sure as to how hard this would be to implement into a game as you would have to have a set up like this for everything transferable skill or design, so that could still use some work.

This post is already getting rather long and I have only talked about one topic, I will continue posting about other such ideas relating to scribes in the comments, and would love for people to post their own ideas, I hope I have managed to convey this idea and that is has resonated with some :)

- Final Fart Abor Telluric of Dae Erath Demalion

• Count of Blackspear Cove
1/5/2020 3:20:09 PM #1

While Scribes will be the advancers of knowledge, through writing skill books, I think they will have a few minor roles too.

The only other major role I can think of is writing contracts.

Here are a few minor roles I think scribes will have:

• Rewriting ancient texts for wider reading

• Translating books from other languages (which will be useful if you plan to sell your skill book)

• Writing laws and policy’s

• Writing letters, whether that be to NPC mayors and counts or even to begin friendly relations with an undiscovered tribe

• Writing wills

• Writing a biography of a person, House or Dynasty to increase and spread their fame

Looking at the professions list, it’s actually the Author role that writes prose (codices, recipe books, etc). But I don’t imagine there’s much of a leap between Author and Scribe.

I do imagine a lot of money to be made for scribes. Then again they’re fairly common in Hrothi territories.

1/5/2020 3:56:56 PM #2

Techniques of the trade, such as a carpenter has a way to shape wood, and blacksmiths hone their strikes, scribes have scripts, new ways to write information that can create higher quality works.

The game benefits can be such as shorter learning time, Greater conveying of information (such as gaining more base experience from a codec), and being able to create higher tier items that require more than just simple language to convey

• Count of Blackspear Cove