COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Suggestion: Time-lapse of Life Cycle

I want to see a time-lapse, episodic cut-scenes, of a player character's live cycle: birth, growing up, becoming an adult, adulting, spirit walking back from almost death, growing old, dying, repeat.

The time-lapse could show:

• the signing of the child contract,
  • the new child running around as his/her npc parents live their lives,
  • the player sparking the now teenager child,
  • living as a family member of and receiving inheritance from npc parents,
  • various player + character skill crafting / combat,
  • getting married, personal adventuring,
  • spirit walking due to almost dying,
  • story engine adventuring,
  • becoming the leader of a settlement,
  • raising an heir,
  • growing old,
  • permadeath, and
  • sparking into the heir.

I think this would be a wonderful idea to demonstrate what is CoE.

1/21/2020 12:54:30 AM #1

So this:

https://youtu.be/aeqpcUzOMhE

And the one on this page:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/game/design-pillars

? With the addition to their lives?

1/21/2020 1:08:29 AM #2

Fairly confident he actually means watching the "life" of a player in-game, on "fast-forward".

Their actions, how they go through their life, etc.

So no, not just an a gif of a character model growing older.

Seems like your typical desire to jump to the defense prevented you from actually reading his post.

In response to the OP, that would be awesome, and do an amazing job of showcasing some real substance.

Great suggestion.

Imgur

1/21/2020 1:12:24 AM #3

Actually, I was providing what we've seen while asking for additional information to which they would like to see presented. I appreciate your insight :3

1/21/2020 1:14:08 AM #4

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 8:12 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Actually, I was providing what we've seen while asking for additional information to which they would like to see presented. I appreciate your insight :3

Uh huh...

Imgur

1/21/2020 1:17:04 AM #5

Posted By Marovec at 5:08 PM - Mon Jan 20 2020

Fairly confident he actually means watching the "life" of a player in-game, on "fast-forward".

Their actions, how they go through their life, etc.

Not just an a gif of a character model growing older.

Seems like your typical desire to jump to the defense prevented you from actually reading his post.

In response to the OP, that would be awesome, and do an amazing job of showcasing some real substance.

Great suggestion.

Aww, I think you are being too hard on Violet this time around. (I almost posted about the same thing as her)

It's clear what he Wants, but Violet's reply is likely the best we have at this time. I think that if he wants to see a full lifecycle of a character at this time he is probably going to be disappointed.

Not only are they not working on the full fidelity models atm, but birth, aging, and death seem more like A2 mechanics to me. Not swearing by this since it could very well fall into A1 mechanics, but we haven't seen anything to suggest they are working on aging and child contracts in the Prelyria client yet so I'd assume there may not be much to see.

edit: jesus, you 2 got 2 more jabs in while I was formatting and shit..

1/21/2020 1:22:58 AM #6

@Labbe

Originally those were things that I would have thought would be A2 or later. However, since we don't have any real idea what they are working on, what they have done, or what they are hoping to include in the phases anymore, we can always hope to see something like this.

:)

I don't even think it would need to be in the high-fidelity models to be effective.

Even a truncated version, in the low-poly engine, would be huge - actually "bring it all together" and let people see there is a functioning play cycle.

It wouldn't need to include everything, obviously it's not all done.

But a time-lapse of the "basics" - from the time you spark into a character at a young age, doing some training, doing some adventuring, doing a bit of crafting...

Again, I am frankly completely in the dark as to their current progress, but I have to believe there is something to work with based on what they have talked about, and very briefly shown.

Imgur

1/21/2020 2:40:46 AM #7

I would add spirit walking to Avastar's list of things to be included in a life cycle time-lapse.

I also suggest an episodic rather than a pure fast-forward format, because the pure fast-forward would be dominated by OPC time waiting around for something to react to. This might actually be the OP's intention.

1/21/2020 5:56:21 AM #8

Poldano with the scope creep. Nice work. This thread is turning into a time lapse of MEOW development.

1/21/2020 7:00:26 AM #9

I'm dying for a 20 minute or so "overnight campfire survival" video with just the bare bones of what an Elyrian would experience outside of a settlement, even if it's nearby a settlement.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

1/21/2020 8:32:15 AM #10

Well I guess they could make something like that with even with the basic client if (as already mentioned) there is already aging possibleā€¦but maybe they do not need aging itself and instead just NPC at different steps of aging. You start the video at a child and see how it is playing on a meadow hunting a butterfly, next the child is morphing into a growing up who is exercising on a training ground, next the growing up is morphing into an adult who is fighting in a war, next the adult is morphing into an old man who is instructing others in a settlement to build e.g. a house or is teaching children something and finally the old man is dying surrounded by his family and after some spirt walking you spark into a child and repeats.

Each step maybe just 10-30 seconds to make the vid not too long as it should just give an impression on this mechanic.

Maybe as some kind of common theme the butterfly the child was hunting at the beginning could be present in each scene and we are so to say following the flight of the butterfly or the flowers from the meadow could be always in the background fresh, windswept, blood-smeared, dried and finally standing in vase losing the last petals. Or different items from the different steps could be visible at the older versions to make it more visual that this is meant to be the live cycle of this person. E.g. the dying old man has the butterfly pinned as framed decoration to the wall, the training sword he was using as growing up is no in the hand of one of his grandchildren, the sword and armor is in the background we had seen him using in the war and the house he was building is the house he and his family are now in.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

1/21/2020 4:13:41 PM #11

That would be cool, not sure if they want to store all that for each player though. Wouldn't that be file storage for hundreds of hours of video per player?

Maybe a compromise for story recap without file storage is since the soulborne engine tracks all of your milestones, it used a small procedural program to write like a biography of your character based on all the milestones you hit.

I don't know anymore.

1/21/2020 4:29:43 PM #12

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 11:13 AM - Tue Jan 21 2020

That would be cool, not sure if they want to store all that for each player though. Wouldn't that be file storage for hundreds of hours of video per player?

Maybe a compromise for story recap without file storage is since the soulborne engine tracks all of your milestones, it used a small procedural program to write like a biography of your character based on all the milestones you hit.

I think there are a number of ways they could do it, some more feasible than others.

The key is to demonstrate the "life cycle", IMO.

The reason I say that is because it is one of the main things that makes CoE unique.

Demonstrating that, showing that there is actually proof of concept for the foundation of the game, would be huge for them.

I think the core of many complaints is the lack of evidence that SBS will be able to bring the complex stuff together.

Some way to demonstrate that, even in a limited fashion, would reduce the volume on a lot of skepticism.

Imgur

1/21/2020 4:31:20 PM #13

Oh, oof, I misread the premise of the thread. I thought it was a feature suggestion for live game but it's like you said a proof of concept thing. My bad.

I don't know anymore.

1/21/2020 5:16:20 PM #14

I hear: "Can we have a preview of what the final game will look like, from soup to nuts, with fully scripted social behaviors and as-yet-unfinished political and crafting systems on working display, before we even get to Prelyria or Alpha -- but not faked, because we don't want a mood piece or anything, Thanks!"

No, no you cannot. No matter how late the game may or may not be, or well-intended your curiosity is (of course, who wouldn't want to see all that?!?), pleeease. Just no.