COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will this community never be satisfied?

I find it so sad that every time SBS tries to give us images, concept art, or small videos of the game people are always upset. People complain that they do not show us anything, but when they give us something like the mood piece, the community harasses the developers to the point where they felt the need to take the image down.

I know that people will respond to this with down votes and the comment about how people should stop giving them money until they show "real progress" (whatever that means) or in game videos, but the fact is people still wouldnt be satisfied. We finally got some game play footage of the traversal mechanics and all anybody could say is "This does not look good, where are the graphics you promised?!", despite the many disclaimers attached to the video.

My point is when will it be enough? The fact is that the game is VERY early in development and they do not have the game play that everyone wants right now, but they are giving us what they can and that is enough for me. I just wish the people who do nothing but bash on SBS for the problems they have with the content given to us, would just be quiet and leave until the game is further along. For crying out loud people were harassing the studio for not posting a shiny when they had dangerous weather. I guarantee if someone in the studio was to spin out on ice, get injured, and delay something else, people would only whine about the delay.

Sorry for the rant. Im just tired of this community harping on the developers so much as if they dont have enough to worry about. We as their community should do nothing but encourage them and be patient until the game comes out.

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

1/22/2020 3:56:05 AM #1

I think the confusion stems from getting mixed messages. When the Kickstarter launched in 2016 we were told that they had a team of 16 that had been working on the game for a year and that they had substantial development completed. They also stated that they planned to launch in Dec 2017 which would also suggest substantial development.

Flash forward to 2020 and you are saying the game is VERY early in development.

Which is it? And if we really are VERY early in development then it's incumbent on SbS to make that clear. The expectations have been set by them. Do not blame the players for being disappointed when the game is already 2 years late and we literally have no idea if we should expect it in another 2 years or 10.

1/22/2020 3:56:10 AM #2

To answer your original question...

Nope...

There are those who will complain if they are hung with a new rope that you are using an old tree...

But I don't think that view reflects the majority in the community...

But the amounts of those who are dissatisfied with the way that SBS has handled deadlines, failed to implement major events without issues, or responded to criticism of these failures has grown over the last 12 months...

If I were in their position, I would seek first to correct those issues before they continue further into this year...

I'm hoping that they do.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

1/22/2020 3:56:43 AM #3

I am a very harsh critic of SBS, and their behavior over the years.

That being said, a successful start to Prelyria testing, even though it is 2 years overdue, would be something I would be "satisfied" with - assuming it went well, and had the standard of content and quality that they have been saying is the prime reason for the delays.

They do that well, and I will publicly applaud them.

The ball really is in their court.

It's not that we don't like what they show, it's that what they are showing doesn't align with what they have said is going on for the last few years.

Context is important, but I can empathize with people getting just as frustrated with some parts of the community, as some parts of the community are with SBS.

As unfair as some people may think it is, if SBS wants us to talk positively about the game, they actually need to give us something positive to talk about...

Imgur

1/22/2020 4:39:54 AM #4

I am admittedly very tired of "concept art" at this point, but I wasn't really perturbed at the last piece because it was "concept" or "mood" art, but because as I pointed out in the now deleted comments on the thread of the now deleted "mood piece", it was depicting a step backwards based on where the concept for Kypiq habitation is now. The deletion of the posts on the thread, though, that is something that brings me great distress.

1/22/2020 4:50:03 AM #5

@OP No. Because people are bored without content to entertain themselves. Some people want to make their own drama and that draws attention and creates the content they somehow can't find anywhere else. Other people have been enjoying their CoE communities doing other things. Like playing games together. There is nothing to do right now with regards to CoE, nothing to learn about or look at of interest. Just seemingly endless waiting on a game we backed pretty early. While some complaints are not totally without all merit, for the several people with nothing to do, negativity is en trende. So you've been seeing a lot of it. People do like a bandwagon. /shrug

1/22/2020 5:04:16 AM #6

i'll be happy when they release the game that I backed. I'm over the concept art at this point. Three years later 2 years late on the game and we're showing average looking concept art?. I've got concerns.

But I wish them nothing but success. If they lose, I lose. I def want them to win. They really just can't seem to land.

1/22/2020 5:06:18 AM #7

Posted By Higuy333 at

I know that people will respond to this with down votes and the comment about how people should stop giving them money until they show "real progress"

You know, Caspian himself said something very similar. Basically, "Don't give money if you aren't comfortable with how things are going".

But really, are you going to put all the blame on the community? Every single State of Elyria post has said we will get playable content the following year. To which that never happens. Maybe if SBS got realistic with their posts, people wouldn't be complaining so much. But hey, if you wanna just blame one side of the coin, you do you.

1/22/2020 5:09:21 AM #8

Posted By Higuy333 at

Sorry for the rant. Im just tired of this community harping on the developers so much as if they dont have enough to worry about. We as their community should do nothing but encourage them and be patient until the game comes out.

You don't have to be sorry... exactly what I feel. Patience is something that got lost for younger generations. Since there are computer games they became faster and faster and give in very little steps the feeling of success, only little fails. A lot of parents followed this sytem to get children quiet, but the contrary is the consequence. They became adicts to input and success. I hope, waiting for the game will sort out that impatient breed. And I fear those that later will come in and speaking about sandbox full loot. For them it seems to meen take all you can get, destroy all others. When there had been sandboxes to play in, we played together and formed castels and towns out of the sand combining them with streets and cried, when after hours our mothers came and forced us to leave the sandbox. The absence of money forced us to replace things by fantasy and so we ever knew what RPG is. I can wait for anything that will be developed in the studios as I think, the idea of the game is great. The limit of lifetime and the burden of aging material will force players to work together, and they should not care for other kingdoms or Mann, but surch for the prophecies of Anara Starsong and her call for help, the story behind the game, that reviels what SBS is planning for us. That is also the reason, why I paid more than for every other game before.

House Pyrros

1/22/2020 5:13:59 AM #9

I will be satisfied as soon as the company I have supported with money and community building for years stops lying to me and treating many in the community like trash

1/22/2020 5:14:48 AM #10

It's not just the community. It's.... Everyone. Every video of CoE, every attempt at giving us something to occupy us whilst they build the game, every random post on the internet on... cats, or dogs, smiles, or chocolate... There's cynics who will drop quick and devastatingly depressing comments in order to undermine someone else.

Some people point to the internet and anonymity. But I personally believe that the accelerated rate of shitty, ungrateful, rude and apathetic creatures that wear human skin is due of diseases of despair.

Not much else to say except "Welcome to 2020!"

And to all those who say, "I just need gameplay to stop complaining", please, take a long hard look in the mirror. Who are you kidding? One bug in Prelyria and you'll be back here crying blood tears. Not much we can do, folks, apart from hoping people start prioritizing their mental health and their behavior when interacting with their fellow humans.

1/22/2020 5:39:11 AM #11

I think the mood piece would have taken a positive direction if they laid out the rough draft copies, the other art the took inspiration from (with credit given) and then gave us an original piece or show how it influenced something. Instead it was presented as /the perception was that it was something they created. You can argue that it was a “behind the scenes” piece never intended for public consumption but then why go through the trouble to attempt to remove the water mark?

Regarding the traversal mechanics while it was nice to see it was a clear 3 steps back from earlier transversal mechanics videos. Earlier videos had the character swinging around a bar like a gymnast, the latest video had the character with the nimbleness of a drunk frat pledge. So it was progress but based off what SBS had previously shown it was progress in the wrong direction.

As far as early development , yes they do not have the manpower or budget of larger studios that being said ever major dev post by Caspian has touted how the have a better process or something new that is going to shave lots of time of development. If my expectations are set high it’s not because I randomly thought at this point in time the development should be further along but because SBS has made claim after claim of things being further along, but they couldn’t show us due to (insert excuse).

The flak the took for the snow day cancelled shiney, and the long Christmas vacation....I’m mixed on. I believe in any job there should be a good work/life balance...but going to make a bet and say I’m guess most the people who work hard to make money to contribute to this game do not get that kinda time off, especially when for years worth of work there’s still nothing to show besides concepts. Speaking for myself I got Christmas Day and New Year’s Day off but the rest was business as usual. Regarding the bad weather; I do not believe they should risk their lives traveling to work in bad conditions. But they aren’t cops, paramedics,McDonald’s workers or one of the many other jobs where you have to show up and show productivity to keep your job on a daily basis. They are a tech company and this day and age working from home isn’t far fetched for what they do. At this point they should have no shortage of conceptual art to share via a vpn connection from their home/work laptop.

Your last sentence is the one that always gets me...”be patient till the game comes out”. What is the threshold or breaking point? 10 yrs? 20 years? 50 years? Because you have left your expectations open ended you’ve given the studio a blank check to be as much or as little productive as they feel. While I did not expect a playable client at the current time frame they should have something of tangible client that can at least be shown off to the player base as well as potential investors to show progress. This game was never going to star citizen and raise 250mil, but the 8mil is significantly over Caspians initial projections of what he said the game could be made for.

As I’ve stated before ; I believe this year will be a make or break year for the game. If they can’t show some significant progress(not a playable client) then it’s because there isn’t any and all the advent calendars, cardinal bees, fruit trees, herding dogs and farm carts where just last ditch attempts to milk the remains drops of money from people hoping their $5 would make a difference. I want sooo badly to be wrong and I’ll be here till it succeeds or fails but money wise I can’t suggest anyone donate anymore until the studio shows the progress that money bought.

1/22/2020 6:26:14 AM #12

Posted By Sagan at 11:14 PM - Tue Jan 21 2020

And to all those who say, "I just need gameplay to stop complaining", please, take a long hard look in the mirror. Who are you kidding? One bug in Prelyria and you'll be back here crying blood tears.

Very True

If you like alchemy, settle in Amestrys. If you can find it...(NA-E)

1/22/2020 6:34:59 AM #13

Posted By Higuy333 at 01:26 AM - Wed Jan 22 2020

Posted By Sagan at 11:14 PM - Tue Jan 21 2020

And to all those who say, "I just need gameplay to stop complaining", please, take a long hard look in the mirror. Who are you kidding? One bug in Prelyria and you'll be back here crying blood tears.

Very True

Not true at all, bugs aren’t the issue. Direct misinformation and what looks like contempt from the studio towards their community is the issue. DSS wasn’t a shit show because people got super angry at bugs. It was a shit show because they said it was all ready to go then took literally eight months just to get it properly started past the kings step. Delays like that have happened for every release and some have been flat out ignored. Remember voxelyria? Seems like the studio hopes not.

1/22/2020 6:40:23 AM #14

If this company was in any business other than gaming software development, they would probably been in court or shut down for misleading advertising and fraud for obtaining funds using deception. For those saying its only the younger generation getting impatient, I was already retired and bought a package on the advertised promise the game was within 12 months of release, now years later we are still seeing concept art and I am asking myself is the purchased package something I can leave in my estate as I doubt I will live to see a playable product. Fortunately I purchased with an Australian credit card so by law am entitled to a refund if I desire.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/22/2020 7:20:42 AM #15

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 5:40 PM - Wed Jan 22 2020

Fortunately I purchased with an Australian credit card so by law am entitled to a refund if I desire.

Good luck with that, mate. You don't have any chargeback protection after 120 days. You MIGHT have a small chance of getting your money back in court, but fairly unlikely.