COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
baby mama drama

if im a hunter and my wife is an alchemist (for example) and we have a child. would it grow up being good at both skills? what if my wife leaves me for a hunky brudvir and im left alone raising our child (probably no child support either) will the kid then be better in hunting than alchemy because it is around me more than her?

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

1/30/2020 12:05:01 AM #1

lol - nicely asked

my understanding is that a child will be predisposed to learn skills that either of their parents knew

i don't know if there is a certain level of proficiency for a skill to qualify to be potentially passed down

the child then chooses which one(s) they want to pursue

i don't know of cap restrictions as to how many they can choose or if it applies to all of their parents' skills

it could be along the lines of if one parent was a master level tailor and the child chooses to follow tailoring, that they start out as an apprentice and their learning (skill gain) is at an accelerated pace (compared to somebody starting as an apprentice with no parental bonus)until they reach master level, and then progresses at a normal pace

1/30/2020 1:51:23 AM #2

A child belongs to one of the parents, not both. As such, that parent directs what happens to that child.

1/30/2020 2:00:15 AM #3

ah hrmmm - that makes sense

ty!

1/30/2020 3:49:33 AM #4

Seeing how learning works from observation I don't think the kid would magically be better but over time would learn more about hunting than alchemy unless they went out and study alchemy themselves.

1/30/2020 7:51:21 AM #5

I had the impression that family affects early learning of skills, so it would be the family environment that the child was brought up in that matters. If the family practiced multiple skills, then the child should gain some progression in every one of them. Biological parentage by itself shouldn't matter for learned skills, except to the extent that some aptitude -- but not progression -- may be inherited by way of attributes.

Of course all of this should not be confused with a soul's skill-ramp "heritage", which should not in any way affect a child unless and until that child is sparked with a player soul. I point out the obvious just in case a casual reader confuses the issue. Soul skill-ramps have to operate over and above any aptitude that is biologically inherited or childhood learning.

1/30/2020 10:49:11 AM #6

The skills you learn are in your soul. Once your main dies, you move your soul to the child and from than on, the skill you have used on your father, becomes a talent. In the beginning your child didn't learn anything special, but once your soul has moved over to the child, it gets a boost in the skill you were always good at.

So since your child, in your little story, got nothing from your ex wife, it will only get a talent boost from the father's soul. After all, knowledge is stored in the soul and a character can only have one soul. Not two.

1/30/2020 11:39:05 AM #7

Basically what Poldano said

As I understand it - skills are not genetically passed down (ignoring the souls mechanic atm), reason why children gain skills similar to their parents is an environment they're in.

If child lives with both of you it will most likely pick up a bit from both skills. If wife goes out for a pack of milk and never comes back, there's no-one to teach alchemy unless he tinkers with it on a workbench or reads a book (my assumption), so it will be more skilled in hunting.

Another thing that might come in play is that maybe we will have a choice to send children to schools or make them apprentices somewhere else early on to gain completely different set of skills, but this is just my speculation atm.

Another option that I can think of is that during babymaking process when you make up a contract you may choose to define who will focus on child training, even if both of you live together, making child more proficient in one craft than the other.

1/30/2020 11:52:35 AM #8

Yes, let's pretend the soul system doesn't matter and children only learn from parent teaching. Lol, why not bring aunts and uncles, or even the whole village in this. The child will become good at everything even before the father/mother's soul has moved to the child.

Has something happened in the soul system, or is this question not game mechanic related?

You can't direct the teaching of a child when it is not under your control. It will be completely AI controlled with some RNG involved. It may even become a bum if the AI desires.

1/30/2020 1:00:28 PM #9

Posted By Ilyria at 12:52 PM - Thu Jan 30 2020

Yes, let's pretend the soul system doesn't matter and children only learn from parent teaching. Lol, why not bring aunts and uncles, or even the whole village in this. The child will become good at everything even before the father/mother's soul has moved to the child.

Nobody said soul system is discarded or doesn't matter, both soul and environment play a role in skills, but soul comes as an addition/overlay on skills gained when growing up, and I chose not to include soul system since it adds more complexity to the explanation and it wasn't really the question of the topic. Soul skill ramps will be applied only when and if you decide to spark into that child. outside of that, children won't be grown up knowing nothing and continue to know nothing if you decide to leave them as NPCs, they will learn skills without souls affecting them.

Has something happened in the soul system, or is this question not game mechanic related?

Both are mechanic related

You can't direct the teaching of a child when it is not under your control. It will be completely AI controlled with some RNG involved. It may even become a bum if the AI desires.

You're right here, you cannot command a child or force him to do something, but at the same time as a parent you have some influence. While as you said it will be fully controlled by AI and there will be some decisions involved based on character type (some children may be much more stubborn), it's still supposed to be in bounds of logic, where children learn skills of parents by being in the same environment, or if they decide that parents telling them to go school is something appropriate, they will listen to them.

1/30/2020 8:21:20 PM #10

Posted By Abigor at 05:39 AM - Thu Jan 30 2020

Basically what Poldano said

As I understand it - skills are not genetically passed down (ignoring the souls mechanic atm), reason why children gain skills similar to their parents is an environment they're in.

If child lives with both of you it will most likely pick up a bit from both skills. If wife goes out for a pack of milk and never comes back, there's no-one to teach alchemy unless he tinkers with it on a workbench or reads a book (my assumption), so it will be more skilled in hunting.

Another thing that might come in play is that maybe we will have a choice to send children to schools or make them apprentices somewhere else early on to gain completely different set of skills, but this is just my speculation atm.

Another option that I can think of is that during babymaking process when you make up a contract you may choose to define who will focus on child training, even if both of you live together, making child more proficient in one craft than the other.

I guess i never thought of sending the kid to a school. That is very interesting. I wonder if that is possible btw .... >.> where did you get your profile picture i want it

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

1/31/2020 2:35:15 AM #11

Posted By AlphaWolfofthepack at 12:21 PM - Thu Jan 30 2020

I guess i never thought of sending the kid to a school. That is very interesting. I wonder if that is possible btw .... >.>

Note: From Discord, so may change:

7 FEB 18 D-SC

You can have your children pursue schooling and training so they have skills when you take over.

2/1/2020 11:34:56 PM #12

Without having read the whole thread..

As per RL in many developed countries, I suspect that the kid doesn't have to be forced into either of his parents skills and that his actual skills will depend more on how you set the slider in terms of what he'll train in as he grows up as an NPC.

IIRC, the inclinations of that NPC in terms of skills predisposition (ie ease or efficiency in training) is more determined at birth, and then again once/if a player soul inhabits it as they start skilling it up.

I think, effectively, in OP's scenario, that the kid would have received the initial imprint from its parent (ie DNA) at birth, and then depending on how the permissions are set within that family, someone, or multiple players, as the kid NPC grows up, would have had control of the skills slider establishing the NPC effective skills growing up. Then whomever leaves the family (ie that runaway spouse!) might lose access to the permissions of that family (ie can no longer set the skills slider). In other words, it means pretty much any available, trainable skills would be possible for that NPC to get, more so than any passive effect of the parents in tamthat family.

That's how I understood it at some point anyways, I'm sure I'm wrong in all sorts of wways sooo :)