COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[Sticky] SHINY DAY (2/7/2020) - Shine like footsteps on the water!

Hi Everyone!

The studio is finishing up an internal milestone for Chronicles of Elyria this week, and as a result, Snipe, Vye, and the rest of the leadership team was in an extended review meeting yesterday evening. The meeting was looking over the quality and scope of deliverables for our internal milestone with a fine-toothed comb and, as such, none of them were available to write up a shiny.

But, I wanted to take a quick moment to show you something that came across the art desk this week. Back during our Kickstarterversary last year we introduced a basilisk mount for the wetlands, swamp, and tropical rain forest. These basilisks make exceptional mounts in these biomes due to their ability to "walk on water" over short distances.

You can once again see the concept art below:

During the development process, concept art is created as a collaboration between the art team and the design team. The artist and designers will look at still imagery, mood boards, and other reference material in order to create a dialog about the topic, and then the artist will, if necessary, set to work on creating a piece of art which not only conveys the designers intent, but also incorporates our particular aesthetic into the work as well as shows the subject in its natural environment.

But this is just the first step. Often the concept art will spark discussion between the artist and designer about the look and feel of the creature. Small details which might have been overlooked in the original discussion may now jump to the forefront and iterations may be required. Additionally, a single piece of concept art is often insufficient for a character artist to go off and model the creature or character. This is because the way in which a model is made is heavily dependent on how it'll move and be skinned to a rig, how it will interact with the world, and how the world will interact with it.

Often times the artists will go and make additional contextual diagrams which serve to communicate key information about an animal, such as where the saddle would sit, and how it's expected to locomote. These additional diagrams serve, not as a discussion between the concept artists and designers but, as a discussion between the concept artist, character artists, and animators. Here's one such additional concept art that was created for the basilisk mount.

Until next time folks, stay shiny!

2/7/2020 8:15:34 PM #1

LOL, that's all I have to say.

2/7/2020 8:18:59 PM #2

Lucky Janoans, fingers still crossed on flying squirrels for your Faedin brothers :P

2/7/2020 8:24:57 PM #3

Very nice. I got two of them. My Zoo will be awesome.

2/7/2020 8:39:25 PM #4

Not serious.

2/7/2020 8:40:26 PM #5

Yay.. more "concepts..."

Taalgrimm County - County of the FireWolves In The Hrothi Mines Arming Armies Since The Beginning Of Time.

2/7/2020 8:50:25 PM #6

though some of us in the community are (in my opinion rightfully) restless due in part to the overpromising and underdelivering by the studio i would like to point out that concept art is EXACTLY one of the things that we should expect to see in a shiny

i think grumbling about missed deadlines that they set is to be expected

grumbling about them delivering in a shiny one of the things that shiinies were intended for is just ridiculous

2/7/2020 8:53:42 PM #7

Pretty, but would really love to hear about those deliverables...

Like, what they might actually be. 😁

Either way, thanks for sharing.

Look forward to the StoE, or a production blog, talking about some real meat to get the community re-engaged.

Thanks for the shiny!

Imgur

2/7/2020 8:58:18 PM #8

That's pretty cool! I love that little guy! Wish I lived in that region. I was definitely going to buy it. Until I realized I would have to travel into its habitat to retrieve it from a vendor. Then have to make that trek back up north with it AND not even sure it would survive in the northern biome. No thanks. LOL

How about we get a gliding creature as a mount that can dive off of a cliff land in the water and float or safely on land below? That could also use the power of its wings to hop onto higher ground, but not necessarily fly.

That would be amazing!

2/7/2020 9:01:43 PM #9

this one is pretty cool - maybe later I'll find and share a link of a real basilisk - screw it, here's one now

Water Walking

2/7/2020 10:00:52 PM #10

Thanks for taking your time to provide us that nice little shiny. I am looking forward to those basilisks.

Imgur

2/7/2020 10:11:53 PM #11

Posted By Dleatherus at 3:50 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

though some of us in the community are (in my opinion rightfully) restless due in part to the overpromising and underdelivering by the studio i would like to point out that concept art is EXACTLY one of the things that we should expect to see in a shiny

grumbling about them delivering in a shiny one of the things that shiinies were intended for is just ridiculous

Hear me out.

What if they shared the original concept art combined with actual in game video of it in the pre-Elyria client?

Now that would make it truly shiny, yes?

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/7/2020 10:14:50 PM #12

No offense, but did you guys not learn anything from the backlash over shinies just over a week ago?

2/7/2020 10:29:11 PM #13

Posted By Kyleran at 2:11 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

Posted By Dleatherus at 3:50 PM - Fri Feb 07 2020

Hear me out.

What if they shared the original concept art combined with actual in game video of it in the pre-Elyria client?

Now that would make it truly shiny, yes?

100% agreed - i think the overwhelming majority of the community would agree that seeing the basilisk in actual game video footage would be better than seeing just concept art by itself

i also think the overwhelming majority of the community would agree that seeing the basilisk in the actual game for themselves would be better than seeing it in a video clip of game footage

shinies are intended to share work in progress, concept art, in game videos, occasional lore, expound on game mechanics and so on

so for people to in essence be bitching that they are showing concept art in a 'feature' intended to (amongst other things) show concept art is in my opinion bitching at the studio without just reason

i would rather we save the criticism for legitimate stuff?

2/7/2020 10:44:11 PM #14

I thought Snipe was in charge of Shinies. Did that change?

2/7/2020 10:52:47 PM #15

Looks dainty. I doubt they will survive as light water cavalry if one arrow takes them down.

Reese "Legendary Neurotoxin" Holland - COE Reddit Mod - Game Dev, but not on CoE. Talkshow on https://www.twitch.tv/theoryforge on Sundays with the rest of the Theory Forge crew!