COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Should Magic be a Talent

As I see it there are two schools of thought on this. On the one hand it is more realistic for only a few people to have magic. If everybody could have it then it wouldn't be much of a power now would it? On the other hand magic has been an integral part of almost every other MMORPG. Everyone wants to play their favorite sorcerer, necromancer, or healer. I know that I love sorcerers, but it looks like I won't be able to play one in this game. So in short should magic be a talent or should it be accessible to everyone?

Thoughts?

3/17/2017 2:32:36 PM #136

I also prefer the talent idea, but understand those that have always played a magic char. wanting some kind of access.

But I don't think it can be both special and give access to those that want it.

I do think that through the story arcs that people who have the time to invest in the game will be quite likely to eventually get talents. Though we don't know if talents are capped to prevent one from continuing to acquire more and more of them through time invested in the story.

Friend Code: B88A39

3/28/2017 7:26:02 PM #137

I think that over a couple of life times you should get to magic powers I think that it is unfair that over 5% of player get magic power and right a the moment there is about 13,000 people how have sign up and that is with about 9 months till lauch

G.l

3/28/2017 8:00:35 PM #138

I would prefer that magic not even exist in the game. There are way too many people who are planning on magic, when it is going to be so very rare. Too many players believe that they are the special snowflakes who 'deserve' a talent/magic because they exist. It is building unrealistic expectations in those players. However, if talents and magic have to exist, maybe it could be based on storytelling needs... ie, if there is a sudden increase in talented individuals showing up, it could herald a huge story arc about to explode. The talents could be related to the story arc. I can't take credit for the idea as that is the was special talents appear in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

3/28/2017 8:11:28 PM #139

Posted By Moonlynx at 1:00 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

I would prefer that magic not even exist in the game. There are way too many people who are planning on magic, when it is going to be so very rare. Too many players believe that they are the special snowflakes who 'deserve' a talent/magic because they exist. It is building unrealistic expectations in those players. However, if talents and magic have to exist, maybe it could be based on storytelling needs... ie, if there is a sudden increase in talented individuals showing up, it could herald a huge story arc about to explode. The talents could be related to the story arc. I can't take credit for the idea as that is the was special talents appear in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar.

This is essentially already how Talents work. They are given by the needs of the story. As we've said before, Talents are a story-building tool, not a character-building tool.

There's no way to "earn" a Talent and players definitely shouldn't count on a Talent.

3/28/2017 8:28:40 PM #140

Posted By dimdiamond at 12:26 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

I think that over a couple of life times you should get to magic powers I think that it is unfair that over 5% of player get magic power and right a the moment there is about 13,000 people how have sign up and that is with about 9 months till lauch

Not sure where you're getting the "over 5% of player" getting magic. Magic users will just be a fraction of the talents, likely under 1%.

3/28/2017 9:18:13 PM #141

Posted By Caspian at 4:11 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

Posted By Moonlynx at 1:00 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

This is essentially already how Talents work. They are given by the needs of the story. As we've said before, Talents are a story-building tool, not a character-building tool.

There's no way to "earn" a Talent and players definitely shouldn't count on a Talent.

As Caspian just stated, we've all known about this and it hasn't really changed at all from the original thought. I'm not disrespecting anyone but i think ANYTHING magic related is just a horrible idea. Example, all these "Magic" guilds and schools that recruit.

I came across several that promises to help the few talented players learn to harness their powers, etc. Which amuses me in a sense. My thought process on these schools are as follows:

1.) How are you going to help the person when the chances you yourself or anyone in your school will have never had these talents?

2.) Why would these talented individuals want to reveal themselves to the public? That would make them the most hunted people in the game. Whether out of fear, seeking glory for killing one, etc.

This is just a personal opinion of course but i think it makes sense.

But as to the OP's request, no. I don't think it should be a common thing. I know most MMO's offer magic as a thing. However, I can tell you now that most of the backers are here because WE'RE TIRED OF EVERY MMORPG being almost identical. We crave something new. Something that deviates from every MMORPG out today.

For people like me, as Caspian has said, some of us don't care about the story ark of games. Not because it's not cool, but because everyone's a hero. Everyone saves this helpless puppy. Everyone saves the town by killing the wild animals. It's boring! However, this game offers the chance for everyone to have their own story. A story that truly makes us feel like hero's. It makes us care about the story evolving around us.

The fact that their are only a very small percentage of people that have these abilities makes it realistic. Life's not fair. We all desire things that others can't or don't have. It's human nature. We want to be more. So leaving it up to chance that we could be one of these select few is exciting.

It's just like the lottery. We all want to win but it's a 1 in almost 300 million chance you will win but we play anyway! Why? Because just the slightest chance of winning to be something more than we are now is exciting! ( I don't condone gambling, but i do play myself)

3/28/2017 9:24:27 PM #142

doesn't bother me that Magic is a talent. yes would be nice to have that talent. But won't bother me if I don't have it.

3/28/2017 10:28:26 PM #143

Elyria is meant to be a low-magic universe. Think about magic in Lord of the Rings, not World of Warcraft.

FFH

3/28/2017 11:56:02 PM #144

as the OP says - every other game has magic, I'd be very content if the only magic in here was from relics and a very limited number of NPC characters that may need it to drive story. Screw magic - it's been so overdone and unless it can be made better, leave it to die a quiet, lonely death.

3/29/2017 2:13:11 AM #145

Posted By Sanguinesh Eviscerator at 4:56 PM - Tue Mar 28 2017

as the OP says - every other game has magic, I'd be very content if the only magic in here was from relics and a very limited number of NPC characters that may need it to drive story. Screw magic - it's been so overdone and unless it can be made better, leave it to die a quiet, lonely death.

If magick exists in Elyria, it'll be very different than in other games.

3/29/2017 3:26:23 AM #146

Most of you that want magic would quickly change your mind due to the first time any one see's some one summon a fire ball or ice lance etc you will be hunted by such a high percentage. It will be the COE version of witch trials. Although it would be fun if it was like old school SWG where you had to train your jedi skills in secrete. As well as a witch trial would also be fun to watch sweep across the lands.

3/29/2017 4:46:28 AM #147

Posted By Caspian at 04:13 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

I guess this may hint that we will perhaps not be seeing any Armageddon meteor showers over battlefields.

So go ahead and put your "classic" pointy hats away folks. :)

Tbh, I am intrigued now... "not like in other games"... hmmm, a group magic perhaps... requiring multiple people effort to activate something for a benefit of a city, or to heal an environment after a natural disaster...

3/29/2017 5:20:41 AM #148

I have been with the community for a while but I don't ever think I heard them say magic will be a talent.

I did hear that it may be in game and it might pop up with the creation of your character. Talents would mean you can grow into them and become better, however, from what I understand magic will not be available to just anyone.

"At its lowest point in the sky, the crimson bloom's to bring forth the night and those who roam its streets." Quote by - Frederick Seddon

3/29/2017 3:48:13 PM #149

Posted By Gothix at 12:46 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

Posted By Caspian at 04:13 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

I guess this may hint that we will perhaps not be seeing any Armageddon meteor showers over battlefields.

So go ahead and put your "classic" pointy hats away folks. :)

Tbh, I am intrigued now... "not like in other games"... hmmm, a group magic perhaps... requiring multiple people effort to activate something for a benefit of a city, or to heal an environment after a natural disaster...

Strange...And here I thought the opening picture for the site used to be a sorcerer casting a shizzleton of fireballs into a city...

Ahaha yeah, I would prefer to keep magick a talent. Think about it there you are just chilling in the woods gathering your wares to sell when all of a sudden a guy close to you launches a spell at you BOOM dead.

Now you're hunting that guy down with your friends, and turns out he only did it by accident. BUT BOOOOM Story has been added to the game!

Love it~

I'm not a doctor.

3/29/2017 4:45:24 PM #150

Posted By Jormungandr at 08:48 AM - Wed Mar 29 2017

Strange...And here I thought the opening picture for the site used to be a sorcerer casting a shizzleton of fireballs into a city...

Who is to say that picture doesn't depict a scene from Elyria's long-forgotten past? Or perhaps the wizard we see isn't a wizard at all, but rather one of the gods? Too many assumptions being made here. :)