COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
October 5th Live Chat Q & A - Ask Questions Here

Hey Folks!

Today is our weekly Live Chat on IRC. To join the chat, either download an IRC client if you're savvy enough or navigate your browser to QuakeNet and log in. You should use your CoE alias if you have one, and for "channels" enter #ChroniclesOfElyria. Yes. You need the pound-sign.

As we're getting a growing number of people attending the Live Chats - enough that it's impractical to go down the list of attendees and let them ask questions, we're changing the format.

Please use this forum topic to post your questions for today's Live Chat. We may not answer all of them, but we'll do the best we can.

RULES

1. Please limit it to one post per community member
  2. Please provide no more than three questions in your post
  3. If you have more than one question, please number them and provide paragraphs in between so we can clearly identify them.
  4. Influence will no longer be awarded for attending the Live Chat, but instead for posting intelligent questions.

See you all at 10am PDT / 5pm GMT (6pm London)!

10/5/2015 3:58:46 PM #1
  1. Could a tow-rope system, like at small ski hills, be used to transport people, gear and materials up and down large hills, or even across flat lands or rivers? These would be powered by the previously confirmed water wheels? Like this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VdaOuUXja4

2. Will we need workers actually working on a building project for it to be built? Or will it go up over time as we supply the resources needed?

ANSWER: Buildings will need both resources present AND people actively building the structure. This will be an active project that cannot be done by OPC's unless they are highly skilled.

1. If we purchase land with IP, and we spawn as an Non-Traditional Character that is already established, do I spawn on my purchased land or wherever the NTC is from? Is there a choice?

ANSWER: You will spawn wherever your character lives. You purchase plots of land before character creation so you will know where they are during character creation.

10/5/2015 3:59:18 PM #2

Q1, Knowing of the scribe skills from one of the former DJ's Enchanting was mentioned.. does this mean players with the appropriate skill level will be able to create spell scrolls and/or enchanted items using the contracts?

A1, There are all kinds of things that can be scribed. :-)

2, knowing the existence of "abnormals" is it possible to list off the biggest? some of the common and a few of the rare?

3, in Elyria, how will the weather effect us as players in the grand scale of things.. will we be able to adapt to less favorable weather by building aqueducts or irrigation systems?

10/5/2015 4:02:51 PM #3

Q1. Will contracts be pre-signed by one party so they can be accepted by the other party even if the creator isn't online. For example, this could be useful for having jobs posted on boards.

A: Absolutely. Contracts are 1:1, 1:N, N:N. Contracts on boards and leaving it open for N people to accept allows many mechanics (for example bounty boards or assassination requests).

Also, handwriting analysis skill has been added to the forensics tree to guarantee payment and legitimacy of contracts. And also contracts could have the seal of whoever created them to find out who did it in case the name can be forged.

Q2. How land is divided or limited? In other words, where does my land ends?

Land is divided into parcels (about 64x64m). Enough room to build a nice size house and some additional stuff like gardens, animal pens, etc.

When purchasing land it will be visible marked and it will be visible to the owners. Anyone else will see a warning message.

Currently parcels are square. Counties are made up of dozens of parcels, even villages will be made up of several dozens. The world map itself has like 10s of thousands of parcels of land.

Although it could be scenic it probably won't be a good idea of buying land on sheer cliffs.

10/5/2015 4:05:16 PM #4

Question 1: Will powerful artifacts have sideeffects?

Answer: Don't they always?

Question 2: You have mentioned that uncivilized lands will be more dangerous, will they also be more lucrative to settle in apart from the fact that no one is occupying it, is there any reason to move way into the boonies at the start?

Answer: "Risk almost always = reward. The unsettled lands are more likely to have untapped resources, and undiscovered .... things."

10/5/2015 4:06:46 PM #5

Q1: Will i be able to select which "abilities" i pass on to my heirs, or will the total accumulation of both parents be passed down automaticly? (and for this matter is there a limit of abilities you can inherit from both parents?)

Q2: Will there be a mechanism that allows family "owners" to "disinherit" and basicly exclude members from their family?

A: It's something the devs haven't fully decide yet but it's more likely that there are going to be a mechanic that would support it. Sort of "ban" a troublesome member of the family.

Q3: Will the lore of Elyria (past and future) be available for discovery through exploration of old ruins, tomes, libraries and stuff, or will it be bound to triggered ongoing events only?

A: It will be discoverable and triggered through in-game events. They are also looking at making the lore discoverable throught other mediums and other out of game sources.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

10/5/2015 4:09:02 PM #6

1) Topic: Villages, Cities, and NPCs

When we create a village that is suppose to attract NPCs there and become members of its community. Will these NPCs come from other existing communities or be generated into the game?

Players can create villages by placing certain buildings on a plot of land and maybe some other requirements. Once those requirements have been met you have your village! So here is where I have begin my question...with how the game is looking it seems that the server will start out with a set number of NPC characters. I ask this because depending on how many villages are created in a short amount of time there could be a scarce feeling in big cities and the villages themselves as the populous is spread thin.

2) Topic: Resources and how we discover them

What is the general plan for surveying/researching these materials to be able to know what they are, what value are they, and if we have found these resources?

For those who want to pursue blacksmithing or alchemy we are limited by the resources we are able to require. Having said that communities are suppose to find mines and discover plants/animals that are valuable for these professions. Dont tell me we just start randomly digging everywhere in hopes of finding a mine :P

3) Topic: NPCs for hire!

Do you guys have an idea on how to haggle and make agreements/contracts with NPCs?

Say I would like to provide them land to farm or request one to be my mailman/envoy. How would one go about forming those agreements/haggles or do we just make a job post in the city and whoever takes it does the job at the fee I set.

10/5/2015 4:14:43 PM #7
  1. Will the taming of animals be similar to a mini game or will it be a RNG chance type of thing?

2. If I wish to add an adornment to a piece of clothing or armour is it treated like an attachment which is added after the crafting process or is it a stage in the crafting process? Think of it like a trim or border on a shirt or dress or a crest on a Tabard?

3. How will jewelry be handled in CoE? Some games allow 1 neck piece and 1 finger per hand. Can you have multiple rings that could signify multiple things or have multiple effects?

Answer:

Q1 Minigame.

Q3 Yes, The game will allow multiple rings per hand and multiple necklaces.

If you have multiple rings on and they have enchantments they can all be worn simultaneously and all the effects will be present.

You can hold multiple offices at once. You could for example be Count in more than one County.

10/5/2015 4:37:08 PM #8

My questions for this week are related to cartography. The topic might not be large enough to deserve a full DJ, so it might as well be discussed here.

1. Are there many types of maps? (i.e. treasure maps, old maps, small pieces of a torn map, sea charts, etc.)

2. Can we trade maps?

3. Can we discover points of interest on maps, based on the stories we hear from NPCs/OPCs, or based on various hints we find, even if we haven't been there yet? Like some small uncovered area on a blank/blurred map.

10/5/2015 4:40:11 PM #9

Question 1:How does getting the land for your house/town/village ect work? do you buy pieces of land that are pre set up? or do you just find a spot, buy the land and build there?

Question 2:are you able to be a mage in the game? haven't seen anything that suggest you could or couldn't

Question 3:is there a way to be a bounty hunter? such as going after people who have broken contracts and such

10/5/2015 4:45:13 PM #10

Q1. Can you write a courier into a trade contract, or even a whole courier guild so any member could complete it, to allow for trade across distances? e.g. Dave shall trade X with Bob in exchange for Y. They both complete their part of the contract by giving their items to the nominated courier, then if either fails to get their item it is the courier that has failed the contract and faces consequences.

A1. No answer to this one!

Q2. Can you write collection into a contract rather than just receipt? i.e. Rather than Dave having to give Bob X, Bob has to come and get X from Dave.

A2. Yes. You can collect, rather than give. But ultimately you have to do something with it.

Q3. Will landownership allow tenants, especially building tenants, with realistic limits such as access to communal areas and their own designated space?

A3. Yes. We expect rented rooms, rented spaces, etc... Even within families, bedrooms for family members will have locks on them.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/5/2015 5:12:13 PM #11

How can you occupy and conquer settlements without a claim to the title, like for example Zygethia at launch of game will most likely be a band without land, and we strike and defeat a weak count, how could we claim that land since we physcially own it, rule it and can enforce our laws and not the original ones?

Answer - There's "Legal" and "Illegal" ways to obtain land

The legal ways include buying and leasing land if you're an individual.

If you're a noble, you can claim right of ownership if you can prove - through documentation that you have a right to claim the land.

Then there's the illegal method.... This is pretty much the same for everyone and is called Adverse Possession.

Basically, if you can hold land, even in adverse conditions, for two weeks of real-time.... the land transfers ownership to you.

KingZultraI: You have to put a building on it. [18:32] <@Caspian> If the rightful owner can destroy all your buildings, or coup de grace you during that period of time, you lose the claim.

[18:32] <KingZultraI> how much land is 'claimed' by a building, how does that work? [18:32] <@Caspian> 1 parcel of land.

10/5/2015 5:32:03 PM #12

Q2: Will there be a mechanism that allows family "owners" to "disinherit" and basicly exclude members from their family?

It's something the devs haven't fully decide yet but it's more likely that there are going to be a mechanic that would support it. Sort of "ban" a troublesome member of the family.

Q3: Will the lore of Elyria (past and future) be available for discovery through exploration of old ruins, tomes, libraries and stuff, or will it be bound to triggered ongoing events only?

It will be discoverable and triggered through in-game events. They are also looking at making the lor discoverable throught other mediums and other out of game sources.

10/5/2015 5:32:49 PM #13

Lots of great questions making it harder already to come up with new ones.

Edit - a summation of the answers by Caspian in today's chat have been included.

1) I know there are going to be maps, but will there be a "map" to look at in game for the "known" area for your character? (I'm assuming the known home area will be mapped in the characters head, like I don't need a map to get to the grocery store.)

No minimap or actual game map interface, but you do get a family map which can be stolen like any other item. Just like real life if you don't make a map, it is in your (the player's) head of remembering how to go. Good thing I'm good at this even in games where I can look at maps where I use the map more to jog my memory or when fast tracking something for a PvE crew in one of those standard non-dynamic worlds.

2) Expanding on #1 - So my character is not a cartographer, but decides to go check out things beyond her "known" home area will it go back to like a fog of war deal on whatever general map we can look at for the area we are in if they do not continually go into that area? For instance the character travels a few days away and then comes back, but doesn't go back for awhile. I'm assuming some of that will change since this is a dynamic world.

No again and either you have a map or you don't. If you don't update the map it will go out of date.

Liking the idea of the reality of map making and finding your way around. It will be interesting to see what family map each of us starts with based on what family we wind up in or what we have as a ward. Even wards will at least know their general area, too, it just might not be as fancy as say a well established family. Family maps exist, some of my comments here are still speculation of how good they will be based on the family. =)

3) To what extent will NPCs be available to help with writing contracts and other things until players have characters that can take over to keep a well rounded experience and availability of things?
We do have to assume there may be some holes in places because you can never guarantee what a player is going to create and what they will want to do, let alone where their character shows up. After all, I foresee a lot of younger people in the world as the player characters for the initial start and then over time it should mix and more things would become player based rather than NPC based. Of course, the answer could be if it ain't there, it won't be until a player does it themselves, contracts (maybe even simply convinces) another player to move there with that skill then helps them set up "shop", or hires an NPC to come do it. It does make it rather mind boggling with all the choices. =)

10/5/2015 5:35:21 PM #14

Q3: Can we discover points of interest on maps, based on the stories we hear from NPCs/OPCs, or based on various hints we find, even if we haven't been there yet? Like some small uncovered area on a blank/blurred map.

Maps as well as simply rumours will play a meaningful role. They want to encourage exploration, so for example, people that discover some ancient ruins should be able to profit from the discovery.

10/5/2015 5:35:40 PM #15
  • Slavery feature, being sold into it or being the slaver

Answer: <@Caspian> No slaves.

• Would having a certain talents be seen as "magic" and then be considered bad

Answer: All Talents are "magic". Talents tie in closely to the lore - as does Magic really. They ultimately come from the same source. If you use a Talent, you'll generally be viewed with the same negativity as those using proper magic.

• something something so what about those abnormals? answer: no answer :3