COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Alternate characters, how do they work?

Can you have more than one active character on a single account (assuming you have the soul sparks)? For example, if you wanted to play one character who is a King and a different character who is a farmer? Obviously, when you log out of the one character it remains in the world as an OPC, but can you then log into a different character? Or is it just one character at a time per account?

5/11/2016 12:22:27 AM #1

I would assume that it's just going to be 1 soul per account like EVE. If you want another you can easily make another account and just relog into it when you want to play it.

5/11/2016 12:26:44 AM #2

Nope, 3 souls per account at the start. You can buy more I hear, but other than disliking the colors of your first 3, what's the point?

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

5/11/2016 12:28:55 AM #3

You can have multiple souls on one account, but only One can be active at a time, no multiboxing. However it does with a few downsides. One each soul is aproximatly $30, so you will be paying around $60 for souls for your king and one for the farmer. When you log out you ingame OPC ages just like your ingame character. And to master (using this word loosely) a skill will take a few lifetimes, and if you split your time with alts it will take many lifestimes.

Corin, I beleive some souls may be more attuned to your play style, crafting soul, combat soul, and who knows, perhaps a social soul.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

5/11/2016 12:45:44 AM #4

I'm betting some people will have an alt that is just an OPC to guard their store/farm/basementdungeon or to craft all day everyday.

5/11/2016 12:57:36 AM #5

A couple clarifications.

1. The basic game comes with 3 souls, and 1 Spark of Life.
  2. The souls are not characters until you combine one with a Spark.
  3. You can buy additional souls for more variety.
  4. You can buy more sparks to combine with any number of souls.
  5. You can have as many active characters at a time as you can afford, but you can only be logged into one of them at any given time.

5/11/2016 1:23:37 AM #6

Awesome. Thank you for the clarification. I'm happy with that approach.

5/11/2016 6:12:27 AM #7

If I am not mistaken, players are restrict to login to a single character only because he has 1 account. If he owns multiple accounts, he can side step this restriction.

Are having multiple accounts discouraged? How about multi-boxing? Do the dev look at multi-boxing as an immersion breaking problem? Or do the you think the nature of the game is enough to discourage multi-boxing?

Personally, I just feel multi-boxing is too hard to prevent, or else, MMO should ban it.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

5/11/2016 8:07:23 AM #8

I always run at least 2 accounts for any mmo I play. It allows better diversity. Might want to be a highwayman on one and respectable merchant on another. You can multitask with one account but if you have 2 accounts both characters can be training off and online.

I have multi-boxed up to 5 accounts on some mmos. Have to see how the game mechanics work out.

5/11/2016 8:14:14 AM #9

I really hope that Caspian et al are okay with multiple accounts and multi boxing. Eve online allows and encourages it, even letting you link your accounts to one another.

Mind you, in eve: Each account has three character slots, only one character(without buying PLEX) can train skills at a time, and it is against the rules to use software to automate commands across accounts(you should see some of the crazy setups).

5/11/2016 9:30:30 AM #10

Well, eve is a spreadsheet nightmare of a game, playing eve to me, was like playing some gnarly math filled spreadsheet on Excel by windows, eve peeps, try to find a medieval fantasy game to compare to CoE.

CoE allows automated tasks when offline, and will encourage it, let's say some guy wants to farm with 10 accounts, this dude will be buying 10 soul sparks on a regular basis just to rez his dead farmers which you know he'll do.

Some dude will have 10 assassins constantly training, due to the age thing, it will be expensive to soul spark that army for very long. I'm a big fan of the soul sparks set up and it seems to destroy many exploits, the only few that will exploit it will be rich kids I bet, peeps that don't mind dropping bank to have 20 active accounts at all times, trust me, these peeps exist, they will be allowed to do it probably, because, it'll fund the game.

I know this dude who owns 50 accounts in an ancient game 12.99 a month, and he has owned these 50 accounts for over 10 years, do the math, some peeps like this exist. Dude's name is Darimar.

I plan on having 2 accts. I've never multi boxed before, but I do hope it's okay to have 2 accts open at the same time. I plan on giving the 2nd acct to my bro when I'm not using it.

• Razimus Dragon
5/11/2016 9:44:55 AM #11

So what you're telling me is ...... I have 10 sparks of life with my kickstarter. Buy 9 more souls at the beginning. 9 sparks of life = 9 OPC miners for my main smith character.

This is best strategy. 5/5 cannot fail.

5/11/2016 10:20:48 AM #12

I cant imagine that multiboxing with multiple accounts would be a problem as there is no advantage in it. Combat would be more or less impossible given it is timing and skill based instead of CDs and character abillitys. Crafting would be no use as you have to do the skill challanges so really you can only be on one at a time so an OPL would be of greater gain than trying to control 2 PLs together. And exploration with the survival elements would make it difficult to say the least to maintain them both.

Multibixing across accounts is really only effective when each of the characters are equal which in CoE is more or less impossible. There will be more advantage had from keeping them as OPLs while jumping from one to the other so having multiple accounts serves no purpose might as well just by more souls to be OPLs on the one account.

So there is no reason to discourage or ban that kind of multiboxing when it will only be a hinderance to the one using them.

"Feed me bacon and you may pass" - A Bear with Mittens.