COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
No longer backing CoE :(

I love the idea of CoE and backed it on Kickstarter for a decent amount, but after REALLY studying it I'm now convinced that it is another project that is not ready for crowd funding and the developers are not being fully transparent.

The screenshots on their website are staged. There is even a robot in one of them. http://chroniclesofelyria.com/media#image-15

I also see a lot of purchasable assets in many of the screenshots.

It is logical to assume if you have so much developed that you can produce the number and quality of screenshots they have, you would have at least a few videos, especially when you're asking for almost a million dollars.

There is mention of "investors" waiting in the wings. I've seen this before and in one case it turned out to be a complete lie and was only used to build confidence in their audience. I'm not implying SBS is lying but more details about this investment offer should be made available. They don't need to name names but if I were donating I would want to know if the investors were going to become partners, have a say at their board meetings, what capacity they will serve SBS and so on. Their money can impact how my money is spent so it is only fair to ask for disclosure.

The stated timeline of end of 2017 for FULL RELASE is not a realistic one. Not even close. That is just 18 months away. It might not be fair to compare CoE to other MMOs because "apples and oranges" but look at Camelot Unchained. They closed their Kickstarter over 2 years ago now and are still in alpha. They also have a lot more money to put towards their development and have industry veterans at the helm.

I just read in another thread by a fan how SBS is saving time by not having to code thousands of quests and the land is procedurally generated. That procedural generation still has to be coded to the specifics of their design document. Do you think the Soulbound engine they are building will be trivial? From what I've read, that alone could take many man months just to get it to its first iteration.

On the investors page of their website http://soulboundstudios.com/investors.aspx they state:

"Costs include the purchase of art assets, engineering fees, development tools, game engine licensing, server hardware, and marketing fees."

Nowhere in there do I see costs for salaries but in their video we see them all in the same, barely decorated office. Is Jeromy and Eddie actually paying salaries? I could be wrong but I suspect they were all flown to a location specifically to record the video and make it look like they work next to each other. That's incredibly shady if it is true. What is worse is I asked this question in the Kickstarter comments early on and my post was removed.

On the Kickstarter page they claim "That's why we've invested half a million dollars to self-fund pre-production thus far and have another $500K committed from investors."

How was the $500K self-funding spent? Again, no videos that I could find. How long did it take them to get to this point? It makes me very uneasy that it took them $500K to get to the point where they are today, which is speculative given the lack of video, and that casts doubt on how they will spend everyone's money moving forward.

My last concern is that the numbers don't add up. SBS asked for $900K and said that would get them to full release in 2017. They also state they have an additional $500K from an investor. That is $1.4M over 18 months, or $77,777 per month to cover all costs; salaries, hardware, software, licensing, office space, benefits offered to the employees and loads more.

They have 16 team members. Clearly they will be able to pay concept artists and even enviro modelers a smaller wage, but animators and character modelers come with a decent price tag. Server and network engineers are going to chew up a very large portion of salary budgets and benefits will be a requirement for most of them. They could skimp and get less experienced engineers but seeing how this is a MMO that is the last place you should try to save.

Add in server and bandwidth costs during testing, marketing budgets to push the launch, licensing and upgrade fees, tradeshow expenses, employee turn-over and every other bump they will hit and it all adds up to 18 months is not long enough for all they need to develop, but they won't have enough money to last more than 18 months if even that long.

I know this is my first (and probably last) post so I'm expecting to get hit pretty hard by the believers. I also know I should just go away with my donation and not bring any of this up but I just can't. I've been burned by too many projects that have the best of intentions and a great marketing strategy but relatively hollow beyond that. I've lost thousands on projects like this because I fall into the hype only to see them end up locking their doors or getting a product that was nothing like what was promised.

Call me jaded. I just know I'm done losing money without saying something so that others might make a more educated risk with their hard earned money.

I will be happy to pay full price for my copy of CoE should it release but until that time comes, I'm sitting this one out.

5/23/2016 10:02:43 AM #1

Okay, person with absolutely no other posts on this forum. We'll miss you?

5/23/2016 10:07:02 AM #2

5/23/2016 10:14:36 AM #3

He is just pointing out that after doing a bit of digging he is not happy with what he has found and subsequently pulled out of the project.

This is just for people new to upstarts that have a long way to go and my never be completed, everyone who has backed should be aware that it is a possibility.

I look at it as I do when playing on the stock market only put in what you are willing to lose.

If the dates get pushed back, for me not an issue as long as SBS is honest about it.

Fate is but a flip of the coin

Friend code DB6317

5/23/2016 10:16:58 AM #4

Most members of the community, and certainly backers, do not come to (let alone post) on the forums.

World Class Indoorsman

5/23/2016 10:23:48 AM #5

The Soulbound Engine is already years in the making, it's something that Caspian has been working on as a side-project for a long, long time, it's not something they have to do from scratch.

They've also been quite clear that for early testing they've used some pre-made assets (which isn't an uncommon thing), this will be changed once they get their environment artists to make proper versions for release.

You're free to come back in a year or two and either laugh or buy your copy of the game, only time will tell what happens.

5/23/2016 10:32:03 AM #6

I guess most of us know that "end of 2017" is too optimistic, SBS itself says "estimated delivery". If they do, I'll be happily surprised.

I think you are being a bit conspiranoic about "going to a location to film the videos" and so but I agree with the fact that more information is necessary. Many saw at Pax East how the things are going. They are publishing videos, Do we want more? Of course! As well we want the new website, the architecture tools and the offline demo.

If they didn't payed salaries the past 9 months probably we'll know it, If I'm a worker and do not recieve my salary for months, I'll make sure everyone will know it, and courts too. Many people and companies keep an eye on SBS, any mistake SBS do is a potential weapon for thes companies to sabotage them and every success is a thing they can use on their own games.

Usually investors doesn't want to be known by the public untill the contract they sign is public and if they say "a stablished company is going to fund us with 500k $" you'll just continue thinking they're tricking you. Wait and see.

It's the first time I put money on kickstarter, not because I've never seen a good project, because none of them inspired the trust this inspires me.

I know the game won't be, probably, at the end of next year, and I said many times to Caspian in IRC when a thing I see they do or decide doesn't like me (usually being one of the few who have some issues with some decisions). But I still think this project is worth to fund.

Is it a risk? Yes, as any other project. It can go well, be succesfull, or it can fail. We'll see. But what I see is that, if it works, CoE will change the industry of MMO to make it better.

Stablished companies didn't publish anything trully new for years, I'm tired playing always the same and I played, as many of us, a huge amount of different MMOs. If we want something new, we need take risks, this time I decided CoE is worth of that risk.

5/23/2016 10:36:37 AM #7

While I don't share your conclusion, you have some valid concerns. :)

I even compared CoE to Camelot Unchained myself for a few times, but mostly because those guys at City State Entertainment are doing an awesome job communicating with the backers and are the most transparent team out their. Caspian is on the right way, but they still could take the open development up a notch.

But to be fair... Camelot Unchained probably does need more time than Chronicles of Elyria, since they had nothing done before Kickstarter, they have to write their whole costume engine from the ground and they can't rely on art assets. Also CU would be already in Beta if not for the mistake of an ex employee, who messed up the code.

OTOH while I love their ideas and the way the game is going - I even would go so far, that it is the first game after UO and SWG I am really ecieted for - BUT I am not sure if they have realistic expectations, about things like the 18 month until "release".

Also, when someone told me, that Caspian expects 100.000 people playing the game, I thought: "wow that is a bold number for a niche game"

Especially when you think about games like Camelot Unchained. But even with a big part of DAoC's "ex-player-base" behind it and higher backer numbers than CoE, Marc Jacobs, who really knows what he is doing, just expects a player base set around a medium to high number with 5 digits (after 3 month, when all those MMO hooper are gone) .

But now, hearing that he didn't meant 100.000 players total, but 100.000 per server = 200.000 players in total, this comes in mind:

I-dont-think-so

5/23/2016 10:37:45 AM #8

I think the OP missed a few things in his digging. Q&A videos which answer some of his questions, combat footage from PAX East, money put into/committed to the project so far before the Kickstarter is 1 mil, so with the KS it's 1.9, not 1.4, the game has been getting work done on it for 10 years already between the story and the engine. I think a lot of his concerns have been addressed adequately, but it's up to him if he wants to back the KS or not.

5/23/2016 10:40:08 AM #9

I'll just point out that it's not a robot in the screenshot. It's the standard UE4 character model dummy. It was placed as a place holder.

I don't agree with your idea that things are shady, but its your opinion. Hopefully you'll come back to CoE when it's released.

5/23/2016 10:41:28 AM #10

If you are not happy backing the game at KickStarter, then you certainly should not. I do not think anyone should be pressured into doing so at all. It is a risk, and if you are not 100% happy taking it then I honestly respect that.

I do disagree with some of the things you have said. I think they have been very transparent.

Let us take the screenshot you linked, that 'robot' is what the 'player' looked like before they worked on their models. So it is not a robot, just something that was not finished. Something that still needed development. They still shared the image with us to show us the progress they had made in other aspects, namely the environment. They have also been incredibly clear that they are buying assets where there are assets of a good enough quality that suit the game and then enhancing those where needed. It saves a lot of money. It means they can reduce the budget of the game and still end up with a good looking product.

It is interesting to see that a number of the things you see as off putting I see as a great attitude to making this game. I think we all have different views on this and I will reiterate that if your view means you are not 100% happy then I do not judge you for that.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

5/23/2016 10:54:18 AM #11

If you really see it that way, then it's your choice and you should really stick to it no matter what I say because even if the game ends up being what it¡s meant to be you won't see for some time and you won't feel comfortable. That said though, I really think one day will come when you'll look at the state of the game and will be sorry for backing off your pledge. As many others have pointed the game has shown a lot more of their developement than the average company, has more work done by this time than most have had due to their previous work. They do have some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa7jRzCTpW2NCh4FK11y9jQ/videos?&ab_channel=ChroniclesofElyria

Especially look at this alpha footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1JcO645BA&ab_channel=ChroniclesofElyria their first video on their YouTube channel.

And it looks like a lot more are coming, but it's been just 2-3 weeks since the last combat preview.

I can't see it the way you do with all the evidence. I hope it's just that you couldn't find all they have and have already shown and back again, but if not I still hope you'll stick to the forums and see you on the game!

5/23/2016 10:56:17 AM #12

Its 100000 max per server NPC + PC so they meant it has the capacity to hold 100000 PC player max wich would leave 0 NPC's, so i dont see that happening.

Fate is but a flip of the coin

Friend code DB6317

5/23/2016 11:01:43 AM #13

It´s actually even more than "just" those $1.9M... They had 500k from their own, 500k from "friends and family" the 1M from KS and then some Investors although there are not many clear number how much, but at least an other 500k so it adds up to at least 2.4M.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/5200-Compilation-of-Dev-QA-on-Kickstarter-Comments "A. We understand it will take more than $900K to accomplish all of our goals. That is merely all we need from Kickstarter to help us out. We've invested $500K of our own money & have another $500K committed from friends & family. Plus we'll look for investors for the remaining amount needed." Ignore my bad English please^^

5/23/2016 11:10:42 AM #14

Maybe it got lost in translation but that is what I got from the last Q&A with our Walrus

• "we are hoping to have 100.000 or more on a server [...] we have another 90.000 jumping on the server" (11m50s)

• "[After Exposition] there will be that mad rush, asuming we do hit the 100.000 player cap, you got 90.000 players coming into the server suddenly and the 10.000 who are there during Exposition want them to join their..." (40m50s)

5/23/2016 11:12:18 AM #15

From what I gather 100,000 is supposed to be the cap for the amount of players online on one server at a time, which they expect to hit.