COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
No longer backing CoE :(

I love the idea of CoE and backed it on Kickstarter for a decent amount, but after REALLY studying it I'm now convinced that it is another project that is not ready for crowd funding and the developers are not being fully transparent.

The screenshots on their website are staged. There is even a robot in one of them. http://chroniclesofelyria.com/media#image-15

I also see a lot of purchasable assets in many of the screenshots.

It is logical to assume if you have so much developed that you can produce the number and quality of screenshots they have, you would have at least a few videos, especially when you're asking for almost a million dollars.

There is mention of "investors" waiting in the wings. I've seen this before and in one case it turned out to be a complete lie and was only used to build confidence in their audience. I'm not implying SBS is lying but more details about this investment offer should be made available. They don't need to name names but if I were donating I would want to know if the investors were going to become partners, have a say at their board meetings, what capacity they will serve SBS and so on. Their money can impact how my money is spent so it is only fair to ask for disclosure.

The stated timeline of end of 2017 for FULL RELASE is not a realistic one. Not even close. That is just 18 months away. It might not be fair to compare CoE to other MMOs because "apples and oranges" but look at Camelot Unchained. They closed their Kickstarter over 2 years ago now and are still in alpha. They also have a lot more money to put towards their development and have industry veterans at the helm.

I just read in another thread by a fan how SBS is saving time by not having to code thousands of quests and the land is procedurally generated. That procedural generation still has to be coded to the specifics of their design document. Do you think the Soulbound engine they are building will be trivial? From what I've read, that alone could take many man months just to get it to its first iteration.

On the investors page of their website http://soulboundstudios.com/investors.aspx they state:

"Costs include the purchase of art assets, engineering fees, development tools, game engine licensing, server hardware, and marketing fees."

Nowhere in there do I see costs for salaries but in their video we see them all in the same, barely decorated office. Is Jeromy and Eddie actually paying salaries? I could be wrong but I suspect they were all flown to a location specifically to record the video and make it look like they work next to each other. That's incredibly shady if it is true. What is worse is I asked this question in the Kickstarter comments early on and my post was removed.

On the Kickstarter page they claim "That's why we've invested half a million dollars to self-fund pre-production thus far and have another $500K committed from investors."

How was the $500K self-funding spent? Again, no videos that I could find. How long did it take them to get to this point? It makes me very uneasy that it took them $500K to get to the point where they are today, which is speculative given the lack of video, and that casts doubt on how they will spend everyone's money moving forward.

My last concern is that the numbers don't add up. SBS asked for $900K and said that would get them to full release in 2017. They also state they have an additional $500K from an investor. That is $1.4M over 18 months, or $77,777 per month to cover all costs; salaries, hardware, software, licensing, office space, benefits offered to the employees and loads more.

They have 16 team members. Clearly they will be able to pay concept artists and even enviro modelers a smaller wage, but animators and character modelers come with a decent price tag. Server and network engineers are going to chew up a very large portion of salary budgets and benefits will be a requirement for most of them. They could skimp and get less experienced engineers but seeing how this is a MMO that is the last place you should try to save.

Add in server and bandwidth costs during testing, marketing budgets to push the launch, licensing and upgrade fees, tradeshow expenses, employee turn-over and every other bump they will hit and it all adds up to 18 months is not long enough for all they need to develop, but they won't have enough money to last more than 18 months if even that long.

I know this is my first (and probably last) post so I'm expecting to get hit pretty hard by the believers. I also know I should just go away with my donation and not bring any of this up but I just can't. I've been burned by too many projects that have the best of intentions and a great marketing strategy but relatively hollow beyond that. I've lost thousands on projects like this because I fall into the hype only to see them end up locking their doors or getting a product that was nothing like what was promised.

Call me jaded. I just know I'm done losing money without saying something so that others might make a more educated risk with their hard earned money.

I will be happy to pay full price for my copy of CoE should it release but until that time comes, I'm sitting this one out.

... ...
5/23/2016 4:20:58 PM #61

I really don't get why people are making such a big deal of when it will come out, besides they said "estimated date" which to me could add on a few more months anyway. It reminds me of blizzard using "soon". We all know if they say any date, even 2019 and it doesn't deliver by then. People will still get on their case. They can't really win.

As for backing them, I picture it as backing an idea. I could put money on the stock market and lose everything. Do I then go and have a bitchfest about it? No cause it's a risk. I'm so over every type of MMO on the market, they are all the same. The familiar line of "Oh look another WoW clone". Where this game is completely different is basically every way.

From all the different ways people "waste" money these days, why not back something that comes across as a wicked idea? Sure it may blow up in my face, but honestly, who cares. As gamers, I assume we all waste too much money buying games we either never get around to playing, don't play much or the best, the game cost $60 but you can finish it a weekend. If this comes out half as good as it looks like, I still probably drop everything and only play this. Which makes my little $120 that I backed be nothing in the long run. Life is about taking chances or we could just be boring and complain about games being the same re-skinned games and bitch and complain that nobody tries to make anything new.

5/23/2016 4:24:11 PM #62

Sorry at work at sea with no access to youtube and the like so just going off the DJ, if that is more up to date then you are probably right.

Fate is but a flip of the coin

Friend code DB6317

5/23/2016 4:30:51 PM #63

"I really don't get why people are making such a big deal of when it will come out"

I think people would rest a little easier and also be more willing to back if the release date was further out. So far with the amount pre alpha footage shown without any actual real gameplay (look at Camelot unchained/Pantheon Pre alpha footage). The release dates seems unrealistic. I think if they pushed it back a notch it would ease the minds of skeptics and people thinking its a cash grab (IE:Look at what revival online did)

5/23/2016 4:35:23 PM #64

All fair points. If you had made this thread I would not have had one complaint and most likely wound not have even responded. I can't emphasize this enough. If someone makes a new account on any site and his first and only post is something like this. He is most likely trolling. Do you see me arguing with Pharticus or any one else that has their doubts? I don't because they actually have more than one posts and are entitled to their opinions.

My point is when you see a post like this with a poster with very few posts, especially after a clear troller invaded the boards, in my opinion it does not deserve to be answered seriously or take his points seriously. He may bring up valid points but his one and only goal is to flame the game and nothing more. Actually legitimatizing his complaints is just you being suckered in by his charade.

I suspect what the truth is is he was a pure pvker that got some serious wood over all the people he would be able to kill in the new game. And when he found it wouldn't be so easy to do that, he rage quit and now all of the other things he had no problem with before are things he will attack now out of anger.

I bet he even still has another account here where he is much more supportive of the game.

5/23/2016 5:07:40 PM #65

"When you see someone with a low post count all of their opinions and skepticism are invalid because they are a troll"

"They are also obviously a salty pking griefer"

Man this is like some tumblr level posting right here.

OP's skepticism is perfectly valid. The people backing know (or at least should) that this could end badly, but they back because they don't think it will and they believe in the project.

If he doesn't want to back that's fine, but don't just make up a bunch of shit and say he doesn't have a point.

5/23/2016 5:11:08 PM #66

We can sit here all day and discuss whether we think the OP is genuine or a troll. The fact is that either way it doesn't change the potential validity of his/her claims.

Dismissing them as a troll and moving on is dangerous for the overall health of the game, much more so than the act of trolling itself.

You say "he may bring up some valid points." That's the only part that matters to me. Let's examine and discuss these points, and hear how SBS is going to account for and avoid the pitfalls that almost every other potential MMORPG falls victim to. And it's something that's easy to say in a Q&A, but hard to actually do.

Refuting what has become the MMORPG development stereotype; Feature Creep, Vaporware, overly ambitious, unrealistic, etc is the most important and difficult objective for SBS. Talking about them isn't enough, either. We've all been fed empty promises and been sold snake oil in regards to MMORPGs. But if SBS can find a way to turn doubters into believers (the offline demo seemed like an AMAZING idea) it would do wonders for the game. More people would believe. Word would spread. Support would increase.

5/23/2016 5:30:42 PM #67

I view this game as being 100% possible, and delivered with-in the timeframe, if it was a single player, or limited multiplayer experience.

I don't see the same of it as being true with an MMO experience.

I believe in this game, and the genre needs it so badly, and I believe in SBS, but I don't believe in the time frame.

5/23/2016 5:36:52 PM #68

@Spurx : "Dismissing them as a troll and moving on is dangerous for the overall health of the game, much more so than the act of trolling itself."

I disagree for the reason I talked about in my post last page (the one apparently no one could be arsed to read :) )

The sage acts, the fool reacts. The wave is the ocean... but the ocean is not the wave.

5/23/2016 5:39:28 PM #69

I'm pretty sure that's a mannequin displaying plate armor, or someone actually standing there with armor on... not a robot.

Kickstarters aren't for everyone. I don't do them personally and there's nothing wrong with that. See what you think when they release the game.

5/23/2016 5:41:33 PM #70

As Deffcon pointed out it's a generic UE4 model although it looks a lot like a robot.

5/23/2016 5:46:16 PM #71

Let's go through a list of what's wrong with your argument:

1. The robot is a placeholder mannequin

2. Recognizable assets are probably placeholder models while they make new ones, like they are right now.

3. They're making original assets and animations if you'd bother looking at their social media pages.

4. The end of 2017 is reasonable. The engine is done, playtests of combat exist, all that's left is animations, assets, and some bug fixes.

5. The soulbound engine is, again, mostly done already.

6. Their video clearly shows a full office. Did you watch 20 seconds then give up?

7. They've done a budget on the cost of staff, assets and hardware already. That's how they know they need $900k. A ridiculous, poor-planned game would be asking for something like $2-3 million.

8. Your cynicism is understood, and not appreciated. We've all been burnt by failed kickstarters, even myself. But watch a live panel, read some DJ's. You can feel the commitment of the team to the project, this isn't some cash grab. As for 'lack of transparency', you've probably been looking for about 5 minutes and gave up. There's a significant amount.

5/23/2016 5:46:51 PM #72

Went back and read your post. If you can't understand why people like the OP are "poison" to the community, you haven't followed many failed MMORPG projects.

That being said, you mentioned that the fact that the Soulbound engine has been worked on for a decade refutes some of the OP's concerns.

No, it doesn't. The words are empty. They may provide optimists with some reassurance. But ultimately, how long something has been worked on means little without tangible evidence to back it up.

Let's see the engine in action extensively. And people can make their judgement from there. Simply stating that the engine has been worked on for a long time does very little to address concerns like this.

5/23/2016 5:46:56 PM #73

Hey all,

I saw the amount of attention this post was getting and so thought I should respond. Let me take things in parts since it's a large post.

I love the idea of CoE and backed it on Kickstarter for a decent amount, but after REALLY studying it I'm now convinced that it is another project that is not ready for crowd funding and the developers are not being fully transparent.

Noted. Here's the thing. Funding in most startups happens in phases. There's the "idea phase", "friends and family phase", "seed phase", and then the various series... series A, series B. etc. In each phase there's an expectation that deliverables will come from the investment money. In the Idea Phase and Friends and Family, the output is generally conceptual documents, illustrations, theoretical calculations, prototypes, etc. It's enough to approach the seed round (which is generally angel investors) with enough information that investors can look at what's provided and go "Yep. I can see how this would work. I'd be willing to invest in it."

In our case, as with many other game companies recently, we've gone the route of crowdfunding for our seed funding. However, we also put a significant amount of our personal money into the "idea phase", so that we'd approach the seed round with significantly more evidence than most MMORPGs have come to the seed round with. We've got hundreds of models, dozens of animations, a working combat demo, videos of systems we're working on, etc... All of which is more than most other MMOs have come to crowdfunding with. So are we ready for crowdfunding/seed round? Yes.

As for us being fully transparent, I'm not sure what we've not be transparent about.

The screenshots on their website are staged. There is even a robot in one of them. http://chroniclesofelyria.com/media#image-15

It's not staged. We showed video of us running around on that map to dozens of people. Also, the very fact it has a robot on the map should be evidence that it's not staged. That was taken by one of our artists who didn't have the character model. He took the screenshot with the built-in UE character actor. But, in case you don't believe me, here ya go.

Walking Video

I also see a lot of purchasable assets in many of the screenshots.

Yes. It's how we're able to get so much done in such a short period of time. With only two character artists and one environment artist, it's unreasonable to assume we could produce the same volume as a larger team. But this isn't a bad thing. It's an example of things we're doing to ensure we deliver on time, and within budget. We don't waste time making assets when there are already high-quality versions available on the web for use. We instead focus our resources on areas that are specific to CoE, or when there aren't adequate versions available. Things like our Canis Rabbit, our Trison, and Ursaphant. Things like our armor and clothing. Do we buy furniture and material packs? Sure.

It is logical to assume if you have so much developed that you can produce the number and quality of screenshots they have, you would have at least a few videos, especially when you're asking for almost a million dollars.

We have videos on YouTube. We've also got near 20 hours of video recorded of us walking around in the world. The thing is, it isn't interesting yet. Because we've got a limited number of hair/clothing models, and the female is modeled but not animated, there's no NPCs populating the world. Could we throw in 100 copies of the same male? Yes. But we haven't because it doesn't serve to demonstrate anything beyond the fact the world exists.

There is mention of "investors" waiting in the wings. I've seen this before and in one case it turned out to be a complete lie and was only used to build confidence in their audience. I'm not implying SBS is lying but more details about this investment offer should be made available.

You actually are implying that we're lying. The investor (not plural), is a friend of the family and has agreed to put up the other $0.5M in friends/family funding once the KS is successful. That's it. There's no other investors. We haven't claimed there are. If you read somewhere that there were other investors lined up, then you (or the source) misinterpreted something. We're in seed round, not series A. That'll come later.

They don't need to name names but if I were donating I would want to know if the investors were going to become partners, have a say at their board meetings, what capacity they will serve SBS and so on.

They will become shareholders. They are silent partners.

The stated timeline of end of 2017 for FULL RELASE is not a realistic one. Not even close.

Noted. I'm curious, however, what you're basing that on? Is it based on your development experience? Your insider knowledge into what business deals we've been working on? Have you peeked at our Gantt chart? Maybe you feel like using purchased assets from the Unreal Marketplace won't speed up development? Could it be you know that our choice of programming language for the server will slow down development? Anything? You got anything to substantiate your claim?

Here's the thing. You complain about us being transparent, but it's easy to sit where you are and say we're not going to make it. If you're wrong, great. You were wrong, and you get the game on-time. If you're right, then nobody is going to be hurt more by it than us. Either way, you're sitting in a nice comfortable spot. Recognize it's easy to make statements from the comfort of your position.

They also have a lot more money to put towards their development and have industry veterans at the helm.

We will be raising more money. And we also have industry veterans at the helm. More than that though, we've got people who've worked in and outside of the industry. We've learned some things about good software development while not in the industry.

I just read in another thread by a fan how SBS is saving time by not having to code thousands of quests and the land is procedurally generated. That procedural generation still has to be coded to the specifics of their design document. Do you think the Soulbound engine they are building will be trivial? From what I've read, that alone could take many man months just to get it to its first iteration.

You are not wrong. But engineering months are different than content months. Higher initial cost, for lower long-term cost.

"Costs include the purchase of art assets, engineering fees, development tools, game engine licensing, server hardware, and marketing fees." Nowhere in there do I see costs for salaries but in their video we see them all in the same, barely decorated office. Is Jeromy and Eddie actually paying salaries?

At the time that was written, we in fact had only one contractor. Engineering fees were the cost for our single Engineer at the time. He was the only "fee" being paid. Now I pay 15 salaries. The reason the room is barely decorated is because we spend our money on salaries, not decorations.

I could be wrong but I suspect they were all flown to a location specifically to record the video and make it look like they work next to each other.

You are definitely wrong. Myself, Nathan, Eddie, Van, Brandon, Mark, Jason, Lindsey, and Miguel all work on-site, in the poorly decorated office. Where we collaborate, work late, and have NERF wars. The only people flown in where Dean and Heather. They were flown in because it was the week of our PAX demo, and we wanted our engineer on site to help with last-minute PAX stuff. And Heather was on-site both for PAX as well, as part of the outreach team, to help with the Kickstarter.

How was the $500K self-funding spent? Again, no videos that I could find.

You didn't look very hard. CoE on YouTube

As for where the money went, try the building you don't believe we lease, or the 15 employees you don't believe we pay. Or the mocap software, Maya licenses, MSDN licenses, Adobe CC licenses, the store-bought assets you criticized us for buying.

My last concern is that the numbers don't add up. SBS asked for $900K and said that would get them to full release in 2017

We've repeatedly said that's not the case. We've said $900k is all we need from Kickstarter. We have every intention of going for a Series A round of funding in the spring, and will use the next round of funding to get the game out the door. The seed round of funding, is, as stated, to get to a fully working game that can be shown to VCs.

They have 16 team members. Clearly they will be able to pay concept artists and even enviro modelers a smaller wage, but animators and character modelers come with a decent price tag.

Do you know what that price tag is? Because I do. I also know that we offer the team members stock options/equity in exchange for working on the lower end of the salary range. It encourages them do to their best work because they have a stake in the company, and it lowers our out-of-pocket, up-front costs.

Add in server and bandwidth costs during testing, marketing budgets to push the launch, licensing and upgrade fees, tradeshow expenses, employee turn-over and every other bump they will hit and it all adds up to 18 months is not long enough for all they need to develop, but they won't have enough money to last more than 18 months if even that long.

You are correct. This is the difference between the seed round and the series A. The seed round gets us to Alpha/feature complete, but to get into Beta and beyond requires a Series A.

I've lost thousands on projects like this because I fall into the hype only to see them end up locking their doors or getting a product that was nothing like what was promised.

As a last bit of advice, you may consider that a large percentage of a studios' time is spent answering unsubstantiated threads like this instead of working on the game itself. Literally, the 30 minutes I spent answering this thread was time not spent doing more important things. But when the community "demands a response," what choice do we have? If it were up to us, there would be less pointless accusations designed solely to insight controversy, so that we could spend the time developing the game.

5/23/2016 5:47:37 PM #74

My god Caspian just wrecked that dude

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

5/23/2016 5:53:57 PM #75

Literally, the 30 minutes I spent answering this thread was time not spent doing more important things. But when the community "demands a response," what choice do we have?

Hey at least we now have something to link to any other skeptics who come through with the same concerns.

... ...