COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
CoE Architecture

The catchcall it seems for CoE is "keeping it real". I would expect that the same will apply to the architecture and construction of buildings.

I am certain many folks will be expecting to be able to build this...

When in reality they may at best only be able to build this...

In analysing the buildings in the concept art and the game demos I am expecting us to be coming around the equivalent of the 1100's ... so that would be the Romanesque style which predated Gothic architecture ... this would also equate to the Norman style of construction and the early medieval German architecture.

We can see in the screen shot of the Coe Architecture UI that we have progressed beyond simple timber construction to use an amalgamation of stone with timber frame work.

This is further confirmed in the World Interaction Technical Preview Video.

A good example of a castle of that time is Rochester Castle:

The castles that most folks will romanticise over are the castles of the 1300's like Beaumaris Castle:

Once we hit the Gothic period of architecture we saw fortified manors appear like Stokesay Castle which was built in the late 13th century. For a bit of fun you check out the link below ... If you are using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 (tested on version 25.10586.0.0) explore a virtual Stokesay Castle.

Virtual Tour of Stokesay Castle

IF 1 year IRL = 90 Elyrian years as proposed and IF we are starting at the equivalent of 1100 CE then we should expect that we won't be able to build the vaulting Gothic architecture and grand castle design until year 2 or 3.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/24/2016 12:28:43 AM #1

Note i am in no way an architecture master of knowledge. I only talk of what I remember when I did some research projects into the 12th - 14th century eras.

What I know is that half the reason we had the "gothic" style was due to the understanding of how powerful arches were in construction. The art style was, to my knowledge, due to the fact you could now make insides of buildings more "open" or "airy" due to the use of an arch for structure support. The more open the area the more you can "fill it" with better looking stuff.

While I agree the architecture in CoE is non-gothic that doesn't mean the community of builders in the game couldn't just...do such a thing ya know?

My guess for the other half:

Probably something about cost being more effective? Arches being more resistant to siege damage? Better stone molding/plastering? The protruding circles were probably because arches made it easier to structurally build so why not make the circles so you can fire in all directions (just about) when defending.

6/24/2016 12:33:02 AM #2

While I agree the architecture in CoE is non-gothic that doesn't mean the community of builders in the game couldn't just...do such a thing ya know?

100% true ... I am anticipating that the tech and skill in architecture would have to evolve progressively though. We are yet to see how these things will play out but I am hoping that we will start with the pre-gothic blueprints and have to advance our skill to "unlock" the advanced blueprints that would allow for the gothic period architecture to be constructed.

6/24/2016 12:34:30 AM #3

To be honest all it takes is someone "figuring out" that arches are stronger supports. To be more specific they hold the "weight" of the ceiling better than straight walls. It sorta counteracts the outward thrust of the walls due to the ceilings weight.

6/24/2016 12:38:48 AM #4

Well we have already "figured it out" because now we know. I think it is fair and reasonable to anticipate that there will be an evolution though. Like I said, a journeyman architect may only have access to pre-gothic blueprints whilst a master architect may have unlocked said vaulting structures. Purely speculation of course.

6/24/2016 2:01:25 AM #5

I think it will be realistic and in rare cases fantasy like.

6/24/2016 2:05:55 AM #6

Delete pls.

6/24/2016 8:10:50 AM #7

Building one of the larger castles will probably be horrifically expensive, but probably possible once an architect gets skilled enough to make it. As for the style, maybe different kingdoms or continents will have different styles, I guess we have to wait and see what they have planned.

6/24/2016 9:46:53 AM #8

There are those select few that are looking to build towards the extreme as well. Take myself for example. This is my manor.

The cost of such a place in unfathomable. I'll make do with what I can accomplish.

20 windows(excluding the 2 window sections, those are staircase rooms)spreading out in each direction from the main building. 20 rooms X 4 floors X 2(Front and back side of building with a hallway in between) = 160 rooms total.

From 160 rooms I'll eliminate potential big rooms like the library(16 rooms),2 kitchens(4 rooms each),2 bathing rooms(4 rooms each),2 Dining halls(4 rooms each). 160 - 40 = 120 average 10x10 rooms and the center structure.

Considering we've only been told about two story level design and not the glorious 4 stories, we'll cut 120(basic rooms) down to 60.

The center structure is 9 rooms across X 4((width)2 front and 2 back) X 2 stories = A 72 room-sized 2 story center structure.

72(Center) + 60(Basic) + 40(Special) = 172 Room mansion.

Starting with the IP pricing. The Villa makes a good start on the Center Building's first floor. 1300 IP + 700 IP Stone X 2 stories = 4000 IP for the Center building.

Excerpt from the KS IP update. "Again, each building can be modified after completion with the help of an in-game architect, or, for just 100 IP ea. you can add additional 25m^2 rooms to your house or shop during Exposition."

Since each room will be custom made both basic and special rooms can be combined, 100 rooms. 100 Rooms X 100 IP = 10,000 IP.

4,000 IP(Center) + 10,000 IP(Both Sides) = 14,000 IP to get the Mansion to built.

$100 = 1,250 IP. 14,000 IP / 1,250 = 11.2(We'll round up for good measure)

$1,200 to build just the mansion. No roads, bushes, furnishings, 3rd and 4th floor.

From there we have over a year before dealing with the details. A monthly of $120 would suffice. Using the KS Count IP tier backing to furnish and setup the rest.

If there's anything I missed please feel free to weigh in.

6/24/2016 9:54:49 AM #9

I can't work out if I'm really impressed or horrified that you would even attempt it... I think I'll go with impressed... I was wondering if I could stretch my funds enough for a nice little villa...

6/24/2016 11:44:10 AM #10

I feel like the schematics should require a certain rank to discover and create, but can be shared and used by architects (or whatever other discipline, for their specific schematics) of a lesser skill threshold. For example: Assume a certain carpenter discovers the wheel at, say, master-level carpentry. He can then create schematics that a journeyman/adept carpenter can use to create the item. Those lower-rank carpenters can replicate the schematic by copying from it, but can't actually make the schema from scratch until they reach master level carpentry.

This would give value to high-level trade/profession knowledge and a reason to keep skilling up past the basics.

Slightly off topic, but I also like the idea of encrypting schematics, so that a master can pass down his techniques/schematics to his students without risking that others might steal his technology.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

6/24/2016 12:21:19 PM #11

...Hrm, encrypted schematics..

Imgur

I like encryption, like En's Mage's Cipher!

I vaguely recall some talk about patents in Q&A—so I think there are already methods in the works of controlling ownership of your creations (if someone could link that, that'd be great).

What I really, really want in CoE architecture is to see the creation of unique monuments. I'd love, for instance, the novelty of a Colossus of Rhodes type structure—maybe even unique statue poses and props that architects can play around with?

I can imagine the interface now, just toying with positions, throwing in a shield, then placing these on rooftops like grotesques or gargoyles... maybe even having to read/see a creature to be able to recreate its likeness in architecture (involving some activity/role interplay)! Then playing around with the scale of the structure to be a tiny feature on the edifice, to something that sits in a garden, to something that towers over a cityscape (w/ scaling resource costs)!

Even w/ the current promises, this all seems fun, but I sure would love to see even greater breadth like the details above.

6/25/2016 12:31:11 AM #12

Hmmm ... imagine if there could be a cultural bonus for a architectual wonder (??)

Now THAT would be an ineresting mechanic. Just like the wonders in Civ V give bonuses.

Hmmm ... I like that idea alot.

6/25/2016 9:21:41 AM #13

That's amazing!! However i don't think that architecture will be posible? However remember you need much extra besides the cost you did :D There's workers, the land, gardens and you would need guards too to keep unwelcomed guest away. However still go for it! I want to see this in game!

6/25/2016 12:48:40 PM #14

Here's the extended view.

Being a Count, I'll have direct access to buy the land I need and at my own prices. As for the rest, I suppose I do need a few workers to tend to the gardens and guard the mansion while I am away.

Maybe I'll come across some twins in a village...

6/25/2016 1:01:55 PM #15

Btw a bit offtopic but how does guards work ? Will it be mostly NPC's ? Because can't imagine many players not growing impatient just standing for hours :)

Oh well please bookmark this page and come back in the future with ingame screenshots of it once it's done ^^