COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Great Dev Journal Easter Egg Hunt!

Hey All!

While in the process of writing the latest design journal it occurred to me it would be fun for the community (and for me) if I casually dropped a hint - an easter egg if you will - of some yet to be discussed feature, system, or mechanic. 

So beginning with design journal #1 I'll be giving a small amount of Influence to the first community member that can correctly identify the hint - as well as state a possible side effect, application, or relevant supposition - in the latest published article.

I'll admit, for this first article it's pretty subtle and easy to miss. Don't feel bad if it doesn't jump out at you. I look forward to hearing what you guys come up with.

Cheers!
-Caspian

8/4/2015 7:10:12 AM #16

I'm all out of ideas anyway haha.

Found my guide helpful? Show your love by adding my Friend Code:1996D8

8/4/2015 7:13:56 AM #17

Good! But you've practically memorized the article by now...

8/4/2015 7:21:05 AM #18

Silv - Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Caspian is just teasing with us.
Who else can discover the rotten .. err I mean Easter egg, if not two most brilliant (of this timezone) forum spammers :-)

It's dead, Jim.

8/4/2015 7:23:46 AM #19

I'm still trawling the article haha.  Life isn't fair, isn't that what you've been telling us, Caspian?  If others are too slow then "that's life that's what all people say..." XD

8/4/2015 7:50:02 AM #20

"Such Is Life"
          Ned Kelly

• We might be able to transfer our soul from one body to another

A soul is also the link between a living character and their physical body. In most cases, the Spark of Life cannot exist in a body without a soul. Without a soul, the body will die.

If that is not just my bad English I can see here something interesting:
    Living character <==> Soul <==> Physical body
    I do not think that "Living Character" is a reference to player. So here we have again a reference to The Avatar

• Feature - Past life skill decay and compounding system

One thing to point out is that with each passing life, the skills you gained in your first, second, third, etc… life will have less and less impact. However, if you continue to develop those skills with each successive life, the benefits will be compounded.

That should make characters able to focus and master narrow set of skills, or switch between and introduce natural way of becoming less skilled in skill that is no longer used.
    That introduces fair chance for new players not to be left behind.

• Aging of the souls in Akashic Records

To counteract this problem, we’ve determined that souls available to players during character creation will naturally age over time. Characters created a couple years after launch will use souls that are a few lives older. This makes it so players who come late to the party can continue to be competitive.

Reusable souls of characters that have fallen and never recovered (stopped playing)
    Souls are living on their own in Akashic Records, learning from our mistakes, watching as we progress.
    Maybe when a soul returns to Library (be it from normal death, perma death or just plane walking) it communicates with the Library allowing IT to store soul's memories, experience and so? Like a central CORE, a multi brain organism, a hive like being, that when a stranded member returns it shares its knowledge with the CORE

It's dead, Jim.

8/4/2015 8:18:07 AM #21

-It’s also said that every soul is born with a purpose. That they choose the precise time and place in which to be born so they can learn the lessons needed to attain enlightenment.-

It will be possible to attain some form of enlightenment (endgame?)

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/4/2015 8:44:47 AM #22
  • triggers 
    In game events in which player participates will become a triggers to storyline events, soul talent discoveries. In other words not everything will be given at spot or learnable form the "trainers" A "real-life experience" of a character will influence his further development.

It's dead, Jim.

8/4/2015 9:52:04 AM #23

Ok, here is my far-fetched attempt to find the Easter egg. :)

Jeromy mentions company logo. If you click on the company logo, you are brought to the studio website. There you can see an image of a living character on the left and an image of a skeleton/undead version of the same character on the right with a text in the center below "Will you choose a path of virtue... or something darker?". Then, there are some clues in the design journal: 1) "IN MOST CASES, the Spark of Life cannot exist in a body without a soul." and 2) mention of good and evil. So, my guess is that maybe a player character might discover a way to remove the soul in order to transform into an evil undead character that will have "a spark of life without a soul".

8/4/2015 10:04:34 AM #24

Nice one Nightalas! You took this egg search to the new level :-)

It's dead, Jim.

8/4/2015 10:10:28 AM #25

I also kind of wish that "shapeshifting", "animal speak" and "falling from a great height" imply that it will be possible to turn into a bird and fly high in the sky. :D

8/4/2015 11:12:32 AM #26

Characters created a couple years after launch will use souls that are a few lives older. This makes it so players who come late to the party can continue to be competitive.

Skill Ramp - based on the aptitude gained in previous incarnations, your character will re-learn past-life skills at an accelerated rate. So if it took you a week of active playing to get a skill to 50 points in your previous life, you can expect it to take significantly less in the next life.

It’s also said that every soul is born with a purpose. That they choose the precise time and place in which to be born so they can learn the lessons needed to attain enlightenment

Talents some souls have them latent at dreation but do not become available until coming in contact with some trigger. Once activated it will pass from one soul to the next without needing to reactivated.

The single greatest take away from the journal is that permadeath is not the end of your characters story but an integral part of its development.

8/4/2015 12:29:22 PM #27

Nightalas's idea is certainly interesting and I never noticed that on the Soulbound Studio site before. Good find.

I think I must be easier to please. I got excited about the mention of drowning. Drowning means swimming, and hopefully not just swimming but actually being able to actually get your face wet (yes I do play ESO, yes my characters insistance on keeping her hair dry annoys me so darn much). It may just be you drown if you ha too far out to sea though, but I still have my fingers crossed. In a realistic world underwater content could be very challenging indeed. No oxygen, dark water, limited ways to fight off attack. All sound like it could be interesting

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/4/2015 1:37:17 PM #28

Good idea, I've always felt that underwater environments are neglected in MMOs.

By the way, will CoE have ships?

8/4/2015 1:58:57 PM #29

There will be ocean travel, so one would assume that there will be boats and ships but they are yet to confirm this much.

There are some great theories here!

8/4/2015 2:57:04 PM #30

Nailed it. :-)  +25 Influence to Nightalas.

At some point after game launch a dark magic will enter the world. This magic will make it possible for those gifted in such arts to transfer their soul from their body to a receptacle for safe keeping. So long as their soul is secure - they cannot die (though they continue to age). 

Destruction of such a receptacle results in the immediate and permanent death of the sorcerer.

You know what I'm talking about... don't you?