COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Travel

Will all of the game take place on the land? Or will the oceans also play a large role in the game? For example, the major towns may have ports and players can work as a trader using the ocean as fast means to reach other areas. Perhaps even naval combat ?  

Expanding on travel, I assume mounts shall be in the game, however, is it also safe to assume no fast travel? That would surely break the immersion, and prevent people from exploring the world. Also, is it known how long it would take a player, on foot or otherwise, to travel from one edge of the map to the other? I know that scale plays a large factor in the game, and it would be fun to see a journey take a long time to complete, allowing for many adventures along the way. Slightly off topic, but as a player, how large are our options when choosing how to live our lives? In SWG, many live their days as a bars, not taking part in combat. Would options like that also hold true within this game?

7/28/2015 7:43:37 AM #1

I read somewhere that instead of mailboxes there will be player-driven couriers. I guess that is going to become a trade (pretty much like EVE or AA). 

Also it was mentioned somewhere else that there will be zones that only adventurers willing to take risks will travel. 

So I am guessing there will no fast travel options, or will be limited to some areas that would not affect the economy. Definitely no mounts that can eliminate the elements of risk during travels (flying mounts for example). 

I also miss standing in one location and socialize with people for hours. Is it possible in this game for "gossip" to have effects in the world? :)

7/28/2015 11:19:06 PM #2

I'm also very interested in learning this. I've been going through every information piece I could find, but this.. Seems like they're avoiding answering this, and they seem to be very good with the community. I'd wager we're looking at a special reveal in the future about this. ;)

7/28/2015 11:19:18 PM #3

Fast travel really ruins the immersion into a game world for me.  Many of the finest adventures from the novels we've read, D&D, etc. take place while travelling.  Every inch of land should be meaningful, dynamic, worthy of travelling again and again w/o repetition and boredom.  I played MUDS for many years (DragonRealms/GemStone).  They had limited fast travel facilitated by a player class that could open a 'Moongate' to teleport players limited distances, but only w/ the help of a second player in the target location. Teleport distance was determined by the time of day and the moons that were visible in the sky.  Quite a fun game mechanic. It was a great way for that class to make money, too. 

7/28/2015 11:21:00 PM #4

This might be like it I guess, it seems they've been going for realism. Almost "RP" style. Which is very exciting. I'd definitely like long exploration, ships, horses, maybe wagons?

7/29/2015 4:19:36 PM #5

I can't wait until they reveal more of the traveling gameplay and mechanics.

7/29/2015 6:52:08 PM #6

I really hope there are no general fast travel methods. I don't mind if a PC has the ability to learn something that can bring people places, but in general would like to have to get somewhere by walking, taking a boat/carriage, horse, etc. I don't want magic stones, pedestals, gates you can touch to bring you somewhere.

7/29/2015 7:43:36 PM #7

I would love waggons, can already see the caravans of traveling merchant families 

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

7/30/2015 2:46:31 AM #8

Those are great questions.

No, it will not take place solely on land. Ocean travel will be one of the unique forms of transportation. 

You're right in that there won't be fast travel, as it does indeed break the realism. We view travel as an important way to create drama within the story, as many things could happen while traveling. You could be waylayed, you could run out of supplies, you could be attacked by bandits, as just a few examples. 

As for everything else, you can be sure that we are going to elaborate in detail in a future Dev Journal, so definitely keep an eye out :)

-Miguel

\[T]/

8/10/2015 6:44:27 PM #9

Good to hear there are going to be ocean travel. I hope players can have the option to own ships. That's what I loved from ArchAge. :)

8/10/2015 6:45:19 PM #10

You can :) Not easily, but it's obtainable. 

-Miguel

\[T]/

8/10/2015 6:46:20 PM #11

Bring on the Zygethian Navy! 

9/6/2015 7:10:25 PM #12

Bump. Oops, finger slipped! sorry!

BTW, any new info on... hmmm... sailing? No pressure or anything, just asking.

9/6/2015 7:57:42 PM #13

No ships at the beginning, only boats.

9/6/2015 11:16:18 PM #14

'Only boats' doesn't cut it for me. I know I'll be accused of being aggessive, a troll or whatever, I don't care. I have to say this.

If I see a gaming company that doesn't show enough pride in its work and chooses to hide behind NDAs, concept art, long and often confusing discussions about nothing really important, I start to question their passion.

Check Hearts of Oak, a game made by a bunch of enthusiast amateurs from PiratesAhoy community, during their free time. About one year in development, and alot of progress was made. Yes, you can actually see the progress, because they showed their work from the first week. Many historicaly accurate ship models with an insane amount of detail, cannons that fit perfectly, exactly where they were 3 centuries ago. 17-18th century music, played at dulcimer. Yes, dulcimer. Simple, but brilliant. You can see a large amount of screenshots, videos, tool/weapon models. Very little concept art. You can even download playable demos, free for everyone interested in that sort of stuff. The only problem is that, most likely, the game won't be a MMO...

We might have an uncut diamond here. Maybe, I don't know, I didn't see it, I didn't even see pictures of it. All I know is how they describe it to me. I can't make any suggestion on how they should cut their diamond. I just stand here and try to act like I know things. But I don't know anything, I'm just as confused as anyone. Then they tell us they'll just cut the diamond in half. No ships, just boats.

I can't do anything, it's their diamond, not mine.

9/6/2015 11:28:24 PM #15

Tell me just how you would even be able to handle a ship at launch? Especially when you have to make pretty much everything you want. You wont own a city at launch either. It is unfortunate that this decision doesn't fit in with you concept with how a game should be. Personally I don't see it as a problem. Your perceived attitude of entitlement I do take exception to and I'm not even one of the development team.