COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Crafting Weapons and Weapon Styles

Say, a smith managed to create a completely new weapon. For instance, a katana out of a longsword. Due to the differences between the two, a katana would require a completely different style for combat. Also, sometimes different cultures used different styles. In the case of a single edged, curved, longsword (AKA a katana), Korea and Japan both developed different styles for a similar weapon.

How will combat style be decided on a crafted or acquired weapon?

Will the player create a (free)style out varying sets of movements? (Similar to Star Wars: Jedi Knight series)

Will it be a choice of set styles? (Such as in Way of the Samurai 4)

Will it be a rigid, set style? (Such as in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2)

Or will it be a reactive style that uses the environment to decide the next move? (Allowing a freedom of attack rarely seen outside of tabletop RPG's)

AirwaveRaptor

11/9/2016 3:26:46 AM #1

Not much concrete information has been released covering combat and the different fighting styles. However since I have never been shy about adding my two cents to the conversation I'll just put forth what I think...

Since the devs are working hard on the animations to go with different styles, the odds are slim that they will introduce a completely new style for just one weapon. Perhaps over time much after the launch when they have more time they may introduce another style if they think it is needed. Sort of that we will be stuck with that they provide at launch.

The different styles will be broken down into individual moves, such as a 'thrust and parry' or 'shield bash and slice.' Each style will have distinctive moves unto itself, so other styles will not have that same exact move (though some may be similar). It will be up to the individual players to find trainers of a particular style and learn the various moves with in it. When proficient a player may choose to train the advance levels of that style or moved on to another style to learn.

During actual combat a player will be able to pick and choose from the different moves that they have learned from the different styles. It doesn't have to be all from one style, pick what works. Now depending on your weapon of choice, some moves will work better than others. It will be up to the player, during training, sparring, or real combat, to find the moves that work with their weapon of choice. So no matter if you use a proven weapon or a newly discovered one, it is up to the players to find the style and moves that work with it.

The above is just my opinion or conjecture and nothing factual is implied. When more information becomes available then we can start to more fully understand how combat is actually going to work.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

11/16/2016 2:45:22 AM #2

Well with more funding more animators can be hired which would make more possible to create many different styles of fighting and the counters to those various styles.

Animation is a lot of work, I was looking at one of star citizens videos dealing with animation and just the base character model of the male alone for all the various positions and reactions to certain situations they have created over 6,000 animations and we haven't even seen them all yet. And that's only the male model not even the female model which will get its own animations.

So it will be interesting to see what SS does for its models and combat styles, with more animators on the team and better developed pipeline. I'm sure that will push those various things out the door faster.