COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Q:Nobility for the "solo" player

Good day everyone,

Recently I have discovered this wonderful project of Chronicles of Elyria and I have been reading up on a lot of the mechanics and watching various video's and Q&A's.

As I of now, though I fully intend to do so, I have yet to pledge. The aristocracy system is a feature that I am particularly excited about and have seriously considered buying into that. However I do not currently belong to an external gaming community/guild and have yet to form a place for myself within this community. I would like to pledge for a Count position as playing/operating in that capacity peaks my interest. I am concerned though that trying to establish myself in that roll would be excessively difficult or that I would be quickly overthrown due to my lack of community exposure where I see a number of other clans/guilds with vast amounts of players/friends setting up kingdoms together whereas I may not have the same backing.

My question is, how difficult would it be to fill a noble position for "solo" players or people without external clans/guilds providing backing and support?

Hopefully that was clear enough, cheers.

F305E7

12/21/2016 3:08:45 AM #1

Welcome to the community Kreatner

I purchased my Countess title during kickstarter and don't currently have a community so to speak. Some will most likely disagree with me but I believe that most of our community building can be done after land selection and once we are able to be in-game.

The community seems to be split on this however, some feel it is better to start building now well others don't feel comfortable building/recruiting with still so much more to learn about the game.

12/21/2016 3:20:25 AM #2

I guess my concern put into a practical example is:

I pledge into a Count position, continue following game developments and get hyped on it. Then the game comes out, Joe Bloggins and his three friends start as mayor's and barons in my county. Five days in Joe Bloggins decides with his friends, "hey fella's why don't I be the Count?" They obtain a Casus Belli and overthrow me because I don't have a bunch of IRL friends supporting me. And thats that.

I just have this suspicion that kingdom nobility positions from the top down is all going to quickly fall into possession of large guilds or clans that can maintain their power amongst themselves..

F305E7

12/21/2016 3:20:37 AM #3

I also haven't gone mad with recruiting - I think I've spoken to only a few people so far..(though I'm not terribly opposed to anyone asking!) though I've chosen to join the Zylphania Duchy as a community to call home. Even there, I'm not really super actively recruiting, just enjoying the company and chatter! I'm actually just enjoying lore building and looking towards what players who buy in later might offer or develop. Sometimes it's the people who stumble in after the game is released, drawn in by another player or just the let's plays going on that offer new sparks of excitement. Keep in mind NPCs will be a large chunk of the interactive character population, (including barons and mayors whom you need a majority of to obtain a casus belli - I don't believe that a majority of these have been claimed across every server, nor might said players actually have any interest in the city building aspect) and it's been stated that is wanted for it to be hard to tell PC from NPC - I think, if you do your duty in your position, those scripted characters will react and behave how a normal population might and seek to serve and protect that which treats them well. ~^_^~

12/21/2016 3:36:09 AM #4

It can be played either way, you can go it alone and play how you like or you can look for a community. I myself came to this game knowing only one other person, I looked though all the kingdoms and made a choice that fits me. In that short time I now have some new friends and some old ones even decided to join me.

I don't quite know how it will work with the "solo" player so to speak but if your worried about other players ganging up on you right away joining a group is possibly a better option. A lot of the larger groups are getting to know one another now, so when the game launches if you are in a position of power and some one outside of that group gives you trouble you will have allies to come help you out of a sticky situation. That is not to say solo players are all going to have problems, it will just be harder to get help.

12/21/2016 3:46:11 AM #5

Thank you for your responses. While my concerns are not eliminated, they are somewhat lessened.

On the note of getting involved with a community right now, do any of you have suggestions as to groups or kingdoms to look into who have Count positions they are looking to be filled?

Thanks again.

F305E7

12/21/2016 3:50:15 AM #6

Posted By Kreatner at 2:20 PM - Wed Dec 21 2016

I pledge into a Count position, continue following game developments and get hyped on it. Then the game comes out, Joe Bloggins and his three friends start as mayor's and barons in my county. Five days in Joe Bloggins decides with his friends, "hey fella's why don't I be the Count?" They obtain a Casus Belli and overthrow me because I don't have a bunch of IRL friends supporting me. And thats that.

I just have this suspicion that kingdom nobility positions from the top down is all going to quickly fall into possession of large guilds or clans that can maintain their power amongst themselves..

Well, if you plan on playing the game regardless, id recommend laywaying your tier. When land selection is close, you'll likely want to look for a community to join.

Think of it this way, as nobility it is advantageous to at least partake in your community to share goals/ideas. If everyone else in your noble community doesnt think you're onboard, they'll immediately take a stance against you, as you really arnt part of the team anymore. And although they arnt directly going to take your position off of you, those are the people that will support you if issues arise. You will no longer be a solo player in this case, you're part of a team governing the country. All your other non political play can be as solo as you want.

Because of this, you'll at least want to look for a place in a kingdom a little before land selection at least. You dont necessarily have to be active in the community and be best buds and stuff, but you have to at least have presence. They need to feel like you are there and 'with' them.

So yeah, i recommend Layawaying count right now if you still want to. Pay it off as you like, but if you feel like theres a chance you will not want to be a count in the end, pay up to a different pack that you want and pay off Count when layaway is close. Or buy count and forsake the title for EP and play as a non-political character.

~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruins~

12/21/2016 3:51:24 AM #7

As a fellow Count I too have do not have any outside contacts or affiliations. Many in CoE will come from other games or have guilds outside the game but I don't feel it will be necessary. As a Count you will be in the Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 stages of development and this will offer you ample time to decide on a in game family or kingdom. You can also look through the Guild Recruitment threads and find one or two and contact them through Discord or other means to narrow your list down.

As far as game play I don't feel that outside contacts will be necessary. Since CoE will be forcing players to find in game support or families, that should be all you need. I feel that being part of a Kingdom, Getting to know the King/Queen/Dukes/and Other Counts while also being able to join up to 3 in game guilds should be enough support for anyone.

Oh, and Kreatner, welcome to the CoE Community...

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

12/21/2016 3:53:04 AM #8

Posted By Kreatner at 7:20 PM - Tue Dec 20 2016

This is a valid concern to have, and i believe you are correct that tight-knit multigaming guilds of people who have known each other will dominate and supersede political bodies made up of anonymous backers.

Two things I would say:

1) If you're going to back, do it very quickly as the rates are about to change and the extended deal for kickstarter-level backing will be lost soon

2) By the time of exposition and release, you will know far in advance which nations and smaller political entities exist on your server and where they are aligning. That means you will see from a long ways off which community you will want to embed yourself into, to avoid the aforementioned gang bang.

I don't think you will have success if you try to solo in a position of that much power and authority without a network of support, or at least neighbors you know are on your side.

12/21/2016 3:59:55 AM #9

Posted By Kreatner at 10:20 PM - Tue Dec 20 2016

Just like said i do disagree with what mystichaze said. I feel like getting involved into a kingdom(community) count, even baron level or higher is very much needed at least before land selection. As someone with a title you will have lands, as a count you will be placed in a duchy, now if that duchy does not know you they will highly weed you out for being a outsider. You should establish relations in where you reside because you could be hindering their plans, perhaps your land has some mines and the duchy doesnt even know who you are, this will lead to you being VERY alone in a duchy with people all around you working to get rid of you. As for your issue with the barons within your county, once you establish a relationship with a kingdom and or duchy you yourself should look out to find barons to populate your land, and if randoms give you trouble you and your barons shall weed them out just like how you would be weeded out if you joined a random duchy without establishing a relationship with them. all in all you should be looking for a kingdom and duchy to join. I know for a fact come release if we find unknown people in our count and duchy spots it may be seen as a act of war.

Alt text - can be left blank

12/21/2016 4:09:49 AM #10

Its like in middle school when they divide a class up into groups for a project, but you have no friends in the class at all, and it turns out the group you got stuck with is all friends with each other and not you.

Then comes time for each group to pick one member to die, and they all pick you.

12/21/2016 5:44:33 AM #11

Posted By Vucar at 3:09 PM - Wed Dec 21 2016

Its like in middle school when they divide a class up into groups for a project, but you have no friends in the class at all, and it turns out the group you got stuck with is all friends with each other and not you.

Then comes time for each group to pick one member to die, and they all pick you.

This is basically what you want to avoid at all costs. And avoiding that requires you to play the social game and take part in the fun. Oh how it will be enjoyable

12/21/2016 5:58:23 AM #12

Posted By Vucar at 9:09 PM - Tue Dec 20 2016

Haha, best analogy ever. I lol'd pretty good. :)

F305E7

12/21/2016 7:01:25 AM #13

i second Mystichaze, especially as a Count.

your concerns are the same as we, non aligned counts, have .

But here are the arguments i used on myself to make the decision.

1) an average county will have 400 population and between 3 and 4 aristocratic sized settlement of which you take the best, so expect to see 2 to 3 aristocrate show up at most.

it means that Joe Bloggins and his 2 friends have to be able to select a settlement in your county while lots of other aristocrates are looking for a place to settle, if only one of them is replaced by a random they can not get CB without dancing the dance, where you have the same option to secure your seat.

2) Joe Bloggins and his friends have obviously planned to kick you out, but why you ? it arguably be easier for them to go for a NPC count ? the only explanation is they are also friend with other counts and even maybe the duke....

That is why i will avoid player runned kingdom and duchy till land selection and aim for NPC. If a county i like is into player runned duchy i'll check at that time.

3) no one will be able to CB for the first month of expo and probably the second one also or at least efficiently for the second one.

which leave you enough time to dance and secure your seat. No one but the most retarded duke will let go of an efficient and supportive count. I agree, it is the internet and we'll see our lot of toxic people, but duke should be one step above.

4) use your ip to build you a fallback place in a neighboring county and make babies as fast as possible :)

5) as a count you'll choose before aristocrate so you need only one aristocrate friend to feel at ease, not that hard to find in the next 4 to 6 month.

12/21/2016 9:40:09 AM #14

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/15294/casus-belli-an-ab-guide

This is probably going to aid in your question as well.

12/21/2016 1:18:17 PM #15

The problem with Markof's plan to avoid the player kingdoms (aside from taking the multiplayer out of the massively multiplayer online experience) is that the slots for kings are rapidly running out, as to a lesser extent are the dukes, so while you may get an NPC duke the chances of having an NPC king at the end of KoE/expo is rapidly diminishing.

While the decision to join a kingdom sooner rather than later is up to you I see it as part of the risk/reward mechanic that permeates the design philosophy of CoE (even if it was unintended by the devs.) It is important to remember that once land selection is done and KoE goes live no-one of the noble or aristocratic classes will be able to 'solo play' cause the Dance of Dynasties will be in full swing and player interaction will be key to maintaining or expanding your power base prior to exposition.

If you join a community before land selection you get some advantages such as protection from your betters, and lessers, the ability (if you're a low influence count) to lock in your position in a kingdom and in general a better position in the Dance of Dynasties. Your disadvantages are going to be ending up where your kingdom/duke sets up (which may be inimical to what you intend to do in CoE) and an association with the kingdom and it's various rivalries and politics.

If you wait to join a community til land selection you have the advantage (especially if you have high influence) of choosing the right piece of land for you and of choosing the king/duke that is in the strongest position for growth, however, you have a strong disadvantage when it comes to the Dance and run the risk of having the community that grew up around the kingdom you eventually join see you as an interloper.

Both options have their risks, both options have their rewards. It's up to you to balance the various risks and rewards to a conclusion that is satisfactory to you.

Coming Soon(tm)