COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Any information about skill process?

How are they going to ensure these percentages:

Novice: 100% of all people can achieve Novice in any given skill Apprentice: 70% of all people are likely to achieve apprentice in a skill Journeyman: 60% of all people will achieve journeyman Expert: 50% of all people will achieve Expert Artisan: 40% of all people will be Artisans Renowned: 30% of all people will achieve Renowned Master: 20% of all people will achieve Master Grandmaster: 10% of all people will achieve Grandmaster Legendary : 1% of all people will achieve Legendary

Will we grind(In mmorpgs killing a monster over and over again called grinding) to have higher skill rank or what will we do? I read that before: ''Books In most cases it's possible to gain the minimum necessary training to begin practicing a skill simply by reading a book about it. In fact, in most cases, given a full encyclopedia on a subject, it's possible to raise a skill all the way to Apprentice. Beyond that, it requires specific, rare texts to raise your skill in this manner.

Teaching Characters with the Scholarship skill can teach you other skills they know. This is generally an interactive process requiring both people to be online, however, sufficiently skilled characters can teach others via their OPC. To continue to gain knowledge through formal teaching, it's necessary the teacher have both sufficiently high Scholarship skill, and sufficiently high proficiency in the skill they’re trying to teach. In this way, it gets harder and harder to find good teachers the better and better you become.

In addition, they often say the best way to learn is to teach, and while that’s not 100% true here, teachers do develop their skills while teaching, in the same way they did before as the student.

Observation Having a skill above 0% allows you to gain some skill points simply by observation. Being near someone performing a skill enough times will result in a passive knowledge transfer. However, root-level skills cannot be advanced beyond Apprentice via observation alone.

Practice Once your skill goes above 0% you can begin practicing most skills on practice equipment. In the case of combat skills this will often be practice dummies. For other types of skills there are specific practice tools available which, through repeated use, can help slowly advance your skills. It’s assumed people will use these practice tools while offline via their OPC. Practice tools cannot be used beyond Journeyman skill level. One important thing to note, we believe “time = money.” As a result, practicing crafting professions that would normally consume natural resources in other games does not do so in Elyria. '' But it doesnt explain to how they will ensure percentages given above.

12/21/2016 1:50:20 PM #1

I am not sure exactly which bits are quotes and which bits are you, but I assume overall you are asking how those percentages will be realised in-game. If I am wrong please do correct me!

There is an algorithm behind the percentages. The speed at which people earn skills can be adjusted using that algorithm so that those investing the most time are the ones that get to those higher levels. It is not a hard cap, but something they can adjust and vary based on how people actually play. That means that overall we will see these percentages (or thereabouts) realised.

There is more about it and sources for the information here.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

12/21/2016 2:02:44 PM #2

''The algorithm works off of velocity. We said, if someone were to spend every waking minute of every day, how long would it take them to level a skill to max. We set that so that it would take them a couple lifetimes. … we adjust the advancement velocity such that those people who are advancing the skill “the most” become the new maximum. This means that the top 10% will be the ones who reach the top 10%, while those who are less, will get [less]'' This is my answer thank you...