COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SpatialOS only works with Unity.

At present, there is no support in SpatialOS 9.0.0 or the upcoming 10.0.0 for UE4.

A proof of concept project existed for 8.0.0, but no further development is ongoing for that and it was not updated to 9.0.0.

I'm curious as to which avenue (Entirely backend c++?) CoE will pursue to adapt SpatialOS to work with UE4.

1/16/2017 7:01:37 PM #1

I have a feeling they won't discuss this in a forum.

I heard from multiple sources that SpatialOS with UE4 is a hassle not quite worth it atm.

But according to the Blog post from October 17th they had a meeting with Improbable in October so my guess is they came up with a solution that will work in the end. Even if it is just them getting some form of "early access" to the experimental UE4 branch and helping them develop it in exchange.

1/16/2017 7:06:03 PM #2

Updating to a supported version of Unity might work as well.

1/16/2017 7:10:34 PM #3

Posted By NanoNaps at 1:01 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I heard from multiple sources that SpatialOS with UE4 is a hassle not quite worth it atm.

But according to the Blog post from October 17th they had a meeting with Improbable in October so my guess is they found a way to come up with a solution that will work in the end. Even if it is just them getting some form of "early access" to the experimental UE4 branch and helping them develop it in exchange.

Improbable, the developer of SpatialOS, has stated on their forums that they have no plans at this time to update their UE4 proof of concept code.

If, as you suggest, SBS is working on an experimental branch, then it appears that they are doing so without active participation from Improbable.

1/16/2017 7:11:59 PM #4

Posted By Atogrim at 1:06 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

This, if it happened, would be an interesting development indeed.

1/16/2017 7:16:11 PM #5

Posted By Rhynedahll at 8:11 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

This, if it happened, would be an interesting development indeed.

But not one that would be uncommon. A lot of devs (small indi devs as well) did and still do this. But it seems to be somewhat tricky.

1/16/2017 7:17:33 PM #6

I'm also rather interested in the answer to this; SpatialOS is one of the enabling technologies for what SBS want to do. Close cooperation with Improbable was one of the primary factors that made me confident in their ability to integrate.

Given that the second most recent blog post made by SBS talked about this, "Finally, in January we begin our integration of SpatialOS, so we can move from a standalone offline game client designed to test the features and mechanics of the game, into one seemless, online world.", and that Caspian went and visited them in London fairly recently, I'm wondering if anything has changed.

I doubt it has, my reading seems to show that Improbable are still plodding away at Unreal, but honestly I'm hungry for any information about SpatialOS in general, so...

1/16/2017 7:24:04 PM #7

Posted By Rhynedahll at 8:10 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

But according to the Blog post from October 17th they had a meeting with Improbable in October so my guess is they found a way to come up with a solution that will work in the end. Even if it is just them getting some form of "early access" to the experimental UE4 branch and helping them develop it in exchange.

Improbable, the developer of SpatialOS, has stated on their forums that they have no plans at this time to update their UE4 proof of concept code.

If, as you suggest, SBS is working on an experimental branch, then it appears that they are doing so without active participation from Improbable.

Since I got interested I took a look at the forums and found your post on the forums of Improbable (obviously under the reasonable assumption that you used the same alias) as well as one other.

They are not really saying what you interpret it as, or at least it doesn't seem so to me.

In your topic you ask for a road map. He did not say they don't have one, he just said there is none they are willing to release to the public at the moment.

Further more in the "UE4 developers corner" the Staff user named rob said:

"We're currently trying to learn as much as we can about what the community is looking to achieve with Unreal. One topic of internal discussion right now is besides client-side visualisation, whether people are planning to use Unreal as their 'server worker' running in the cloud for physics, AI, etc, or whether they are planning on creating their own server workers."

This implies to me they are working on it internally as well.

1/16/2017 7:32:23 PM #8

Posted By NanoNaps at 1:24 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By Rhynedahll at 8:10 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Since I got interested I took a look at the forums and found your post on the forums of Improbable (obviously under the reasonable assumption that you used the same alias) as well as one other.

They are not really saying what you interpret it as, or at least it doesn't seem so to me.

In your topic you ask for a road map. He did not say they don't have one, he just said there is none they are willing to release to the public at the moment.

Further more in the "UE4 developers corner" the Staff user named rob said:

"We're currently trying to learn as much as we can about what the community is looking to achieve with Unreal. One topic of internal discussion right now is besides client-side visualisation, whether people are planning to use Unreal as their 'server worker' running in the cloud for physics, AI, etc, or whether they are planning on creating their own server workers."

This implies to me they are working on it internally as well.

The "no plans" comes from another post that I did not start (and may not have replied to.) Search further.

Edit: Found my quote of a quote there, but don't think I can post it here.

1/16/2017 7:42:58 PM #9

I sure hope if there to consider Unity that they are more successful than SOTA as that is their excuse for a lot of things "Unity wont let that happen" " Unity is working on the bug fixes" it goes on and on.. I can't speak for these Devs, but I am almost certain to the extent of continuing to pay off a layaway, that if they didn't think it would work they wouldn't announce it..

1/16/2017 7:46:05 PM #10

Posted By Mordakai at 8:42 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I sure hope if there to consider Unity that they are more successful than SOTA as that is their excuse for a lot of things "Unity wont let that happen" " Unity is working on the bug fixes" it goes on and on.. I can't speak for these Devs, but I am almost certain to the extent of continuing to pay off a layaway, that if they didn't think it would work they wouldn't announce it..

Yeah Unity is a beast of an engine. I don't like it either. Coming up with workarounds seems to be a shit ton of work. But than again there are quite a lot of games out there that do good with unity. And i admit i have absolutley NO idea how easy or complicated a transition between UE4 and Unity would be,

1/16/2017 7:48:17 PM #11

Posted By Atogrim at 1:46 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By Mordakai at 8:42 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Yeah Unity is a beast of an engine. I don't like it either. Coming up with workarounds seems to be a shit ton of work. But than again there are quite a lot of games out there that do good with unity. And i admit i have absolutley NO idea how easy or complicated a transition between UE4 and Unity would be,

Aye me either, else I wouldn't get dirty every day working in a factory!. .I just know that with my last backing of a kickstarter it is a kick in the junk to have so many excuses of why something fails pointing to the backbone of the system aka Unity in this case..

1/16/2017 7:58:33 PM #12

I'm curious why you would claim that SpatialOS isn't going to work with Unreal when it explicitly states it as coming soon under Engine Integration on their website.

1/16/2017 8:02:40 PM #13

For those who don't want to go digging; Rhynedahll is a developer of a project that is also using SpatialOS and Unreal. He has been active on the Improbable forums, and has had encounters with the SpatialOS developers that makes him question their current commitment to the Unreal engine.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that SpatialOS 10, the most recent design branch, is focused almost entirely (from my layman eyes) on improving support for Unity, with no mention of Unreal.

Given that Chronicles of Elyria is probably the most visible SpatialOS project that plans to use Unreal, he is here seeing if he can get a response from SBS about whether or not they have an inside line on what's going on.

So he does have some reason to question the current status quo assumptions about SpatialOS and Unreal.

1/16/2017 8:08:42 PM #14

SpatialOS does not now work with Unreal and Improbable does not state when such integration will exist.

"Coming Soon" is a open ended phrase that includes any point in the future. It does not mean within a week, or a month or even a year.

I don't believe that I have said that SpatialOS will never ("isn't going to) work with Unreal, but if you perceive that I have, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Improbable has not at this point given any time frame for Unreal integration.

There exists no experimental branch or sample project that the average person can access at this time to use the current version of SpatialOS with Unreal.

1/16/2017 8:08:48 PM #15

Posted By Morbis at 2:02 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

For those who don't want to go digging; Rhynedahll is a developer of a project that is also using SpatialOS and Unreal. He has been active on the Improbable forums, and has had encounters with the SpatialOS developers that makes him question their current commitment to the Unreal engine.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that SpatialOS 10, the most recent design branch, is focused almost entirely (from my layman eyes) on improving support for Unity, with no mention of Unreal.

Given that Chronicles of Elyria is probably the most visible SpatialOS project that plans to use Unreal, he is here seeing if he can get a response from SBS about whether or not they have an inside line on what's going on.

So he does have some reason to question the current status quo assumptions about SpatialOS and Unreal.

Funny I was curious about something along these lines seeing he has only 4 posts here, all of which in this very forum.. As a first post it usually isn't along these lines.. Welcome to CoE I hope we are the first to set the standards of future gaming, pledge some to help us grow, thanks for the visit. I hope your stay is a long one!