COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Travel Methods

Sorry if this has been discussed already. In one of the dev journals with video footage of the terrain it's mentioned that the footage is only from an 8 km x 12 km area (96 sq km), which is only .2% of the starting continent. Unless that was a guestimate/exaggeration, that would make the starting continent roughly 48,000 sq km). Again, all assuming that statement was fairly accurate. The state of Maryland is 32k sq km. So, besides mounted travel, what other faster modes of travel is there? I've read all of the journals and didn't see anything on it, unless I missed it.

You can already see the immensity of the maps from the recently released (recently removed from NDA) images of Caspian running to the mountains. We already know your character won't be able to run indefinitely due to fatigue and other factors. How would you get large armies, or even small parties for that matter, across long distances without spending weeks just running over he rivers and through the woods?

FYI , 48,000 sq km is about 219 km x 219 km (136 miles). I could be way off and maybe the continent isn't that big. Still curious to hear what y'all think.

1/17/2017 3:25:43 AM #1

horses and boats and real life means. A march is a march because marching is involved to cross the marches. march march march

1/17/2017 3:34:13 AM #2

there are not any faster travel methods, yes it will take a looong time and lots of resources to travel that far with an army, its intended. you will also probably need caravans of supplies to feed your army and keep their equipment in good repair.

also remember that each starting continent (219 km x 219 km) will be split into 5 kingdoms, so depending on how the lands end up divided it, it is horrendously unlikely an army will need to travel the continent end to end, generally wars are fought with neighboring kingdoms.

i like it, makes war less likely, makes the world bigger and worth exploring, and makes how i intend to make money while i do what i want to do worthwhile (cartography, maps will need frequent updates with such a large map and such slow travel speed.)

i believe it was said that if you could run indefinitely and ran straight from one side to the other is would take about 48 hours? id cut that in half as its unlikely any army formed would be formed directly on the other side of the map, cut that up into a few days, or take a risk and have most of the army offline in opc mode traveling, while everyone logs on when they can to help defend and be there to send out alerts via social media or other methods that can reach peoples phones, and to manage the army as it travels and keep it going.

war should not be entered into lightly. i see no reason to worry about parties, i imagine traveling large distances will be a big thing people plan for, i look forward to that. if that does not appeal to you, well unfortunately this is a niche game for people who that sort of thing appeals to, i hope you will give it a chance though, stuff like that can be a ton of fun if they do it like im hoping, it wont be as easy as just walk where your going, you will have to plan and prepare supplies and deal with weather and occasionally wild animals or criminals, and that's just if your taking a road to where your going, traveling over wilderness will be much more dangerous.

1/17/2017 3:43:42 AM #3

I like it. It adds a whole new Dynamic to battle and trade.

1/17/2017 3:56:13 AM #4

Don't get me wrong. Bazak, everything you said is exciting to me. it's good the world will big, especially because of all of the possibilities in this game. Also, some of my fondest gaming moments have been the long journeys across game worlds, particularly running from Freeport to Qeynos in EQ (a tiny distance compared to CoE) for the first time. If it's easy, then it's probably not worthwhile. It sounds like it will certainly be a logistical feat. Hire a good XO!

1/17/2017 4:18:50 AM #5

Honestly, I plan on having one of the first 3-4 characters travel around all over never settle down and see what there is to see.

1/17/2017 4:23:43 AM #6

Posted By Hyperiun at 10:56 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Don't get me wrong. Bazak, everything you said is exciting to me. it's good the world will big, especially because of all of the possibilities in this game. Also, some of my fondest gaming moments have been the long journeys across game worlds, particularly running from Freeport to Qeynos in EQ (a tiny distance compared to CoE) for the first time. If it's easy, then it's probably not worthwhile. It sounds like it will certainly be a logistical feat. Hire a good XO!

great :D glad you like the idea. don't get me wrong either i just wanted to be abundantly clear what the developers intents were, i know people who would turn their nose up at no fast travel.

i didn't even touch on what it means for trade and everything else in this game, the reality of a truly large world, without modern travel methods or magical fast travel methods, will mean a very different game than anything that has come out in a long time, beyond traditional tabletop RPG's and maybe MUD's though i have no experience with MUD's

1/17/2017 4:24:22 AM #7

Posted By Hyperiun at 9:56 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

5pp for a SOW!!!