COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Magic and becoming a Lich

So first of all, my dream is beeing a mage (probably a lot of people want this). There are two ways of becoming one: - Have the talent from the start, or - Find (or buy?) magical relicts and artifacts and become a "Lich". So my first question is, where can I find these relicts and artifacts to become a "Lich", or if i buy them, how expensive are they? My second question is, in the wiki a "Lich" is described as an evil person, so do you find these artifacts by beeing evil? What exatly means beeing evil? Killing people? And if i am evil to gain magic, can i, after gaining the magic, be good again? So this topic is all in all about becoming a "Lich" and how i can still be a good person.

(Hopefully Mage) Cradon

2/26/2017 2:25:50 PM #1

To become a Lich you need to store your soul inside a Phylactery. Finding one will most likely be really difficult. I don't think SBS said anything about a specific location but I guess it will be in a cave/dungeon. Buying one is probably not the best idea because the seller knows your secret and it would be super expensive. If you really find a seller the exact price will be his decision. Beeing evil means to kill people, steal their things etc.. It will be more than difficult to be good again since you need to do evil things to stay alive.

2/26/2017 2:44:36 PM #2

Lichs are creatures of myth. As such, the chances of you finding out any of that information is extremely small. People wont be able to tell you how to become one, many will think they are just fairy tales. Where do you get the things you require, and how do you become a lich? No one knows. It wont be something you can share I think. Most likely only a handful of people will be a lich at any given time. I expect SBS will limit whatever you need to become one.

As for being evil. I imagine the process of removing your soul and placing it into a container requires a ritual. I'm guessing the ritual calls for something considered "evil". Further more, i suspect you would have to habitually kill people to keep on living.

Regardless, any answer to your question is going to be rumors and educated guesses. And I think that tells you something about the process. No one knows because no one is meant to know. If you figure it out, it will be through dumb luck.

2/26/2017 3:20:07 PM #3

Alright so summed up beeing a "Lich" means beeing evil all the time and to stay alive i have to stay evil. So beeing a good mage can only be achieved by having luck at character creation. Well then thanks for your answers and lets hope i am lucky.

(Hopefully Mage) Cradon

2/26/2017 3:46:51 PM #4

Don't be discouraged! You can have multiple characters! Remember though when you log off your character stays in the game as an OPC (Offline Player Character). So make sure to dig you the deepest, nastiest dungeon to hide your Lich and Phylactery in. :)

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh

3/1/2017 5:04:37 AM #5

I would think being a lich might grant you great power, but at a high cost. I could see you constantly being hunted as a monster as well as suffering in game consequences for constantly having to keep up a lifestyle of inherent evil. I've never seen an instance in any rpg (save for individual DM tomfoolery) where a lich could become and good aligned character. A lich is an undead entity and as such even a good aligned lich would still be considered a monster. I would definitely be curious to see if you could find a way to make it work.

3/1/2017 6:16:51 AM #6

Posted By Apricity at 07:44 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Lichs are creatures of myth. As such, the chances of you finding out any of that information is extremely small. People wont be able to tell you how to become one, many will think they are just fairy tales. Where do you get the things you require, and how do you become a lich? No one knows. It wont be something you can share I think. Most likely only a handful of people will be a lich at any given time. I expect SBS will limit whatever you need to become one.

As for being evil. I imagine the process of removing your soul and placing it into a container requires a ritual. I'm guessing the ritual calls for something considered "evil". Further more, i suspect you would have to habitually kill people to keep on living.

Regardless, any answer to your question is going to be rumors and educated guesses. And I think that tells you something about the process. No one knows because no one is meant to know. If you figure it out, it will be through dumb luck.

Habitally killing people to survive is for Vampires, not Liches. Though I imagine it would be pretty OP to not have to go out and hunt Man, so the ritual for becoming a lich would have to be pretty extreme to balance it out. Like, sacrificing an orphanage or something.

FFH

3/1/2017 7:49:10 AM #7

Talents, including those required for liches, are exceedingly rare.

Initially it was estimated that 1 in 20 (5%) or less of bodies (It's life based) will possess a hidden talent.

Of that 1 in 20, there may be 40 talents or more with some being more common or powerful than others. The system may effectively roll a D200 and choose from a table.

Your chance of a specific talent on average (including magic) then drops to 1 in 800.

These talents may not manifest or be discovered without the right trigger, meaning perhaps on average 25% of people discover them, with the more commonplace being easier to discover.

You're now down to a 1 in 3200 chance of the talent you're after. On average if you play an alt, you'll play 2 lives per year, so you're looking at playing 1600 years for an even chance.

The bottom line? Talents are great things to have but don't base your gameplay and plans around having one in particular as you may well be disappointed.

In continent terms, we expect a maximum of 100k players. If the average county grows to 400 residents, you might have to search through 8 Counties to find someone with a certain talent. It can be done, but it's no small space, and thats just the more common ones.

In fairness, this feels like a nice number, reflecting rarity and difficulty to locate such gifts without being commonplace.

3/1/2017 12:53:04 PM #8

What happens if you don't have a soul? GG

I don't know anymore.

3/1/2017 1:22:10 PM #9

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 12:53 PM - Wed Mar 01 2017

What happens if you don't have a soul? GG

You die or get a job as an MP :D

3/1/2017 1:40:45 PM #10

Posted By Cradon at 09:20 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Alright so summed up beeing a "Lich" means beeing evil all the time and to stay alive i have to stay evil. So beeing a good mage can only be achieved by having luck at character creation. Well then thanks for your answers and lets hope i am lucky.

From what I've read on the site & gathered from the interviews with Caspian is that a Lich's phylactery can be just about anything in the world. A ring, a sword, an amulet, a crown, whatever you choose to store you soul in. Obtaining the Knowledge to do this will require you going down a path of evil. So, if you watched the Anime Full Metal Alchemists, then it's much like making a philosopher's stone. You gotta off a few people, test new theories & methods, run "human" experiments until you crack the code. After doing so you're immortal as long as your Phylactery doesn't get broken(Voldermort). So, you're kinda free to do what you want, but since your soul has already gained most likely an extremely evil affinity, the game is going to try to push you & give you more quest centered around being evil. So, recovering from that affinity to become a good Lich won't be the easiest, but I bet it makes for darn good Role-Play.

A man's thirst for power leads him to commit heinous acts. Obtains immortality, regrets actions, spends rest of immortal life attempting to atone for sins.

Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together.

3/1/2017 3:36:22 PM #11

Being a lich doesn't mean you HAVE to be evil all the time, you have to be very dark aligned, but that can mean many things.... killing would be an obvious way to do it, but i'm sure there will be other ways as well

The reason i say this is because if your a lich, you don't have to be a solo player. A Lich will be VERY powerful, you are basically a "World Boss"... most people will want to kill you, sure... but there will be people who will rally behind you. Lich worshippers maybe? or maybe just friends you can trust, but you'll not get anywhere by killing everyone on sight.

Whats the best way to defend yourself against a Lich? Thats to be in their army.... any player who wants to be a Lich would want a massive evil army to control... and the more people you have defending you, the harder it is for the good players to kill you

3/23/2017 3:11:48 AM #12

Posted By Thursil at 08:25 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

To become a Lich you need to store your soul inside a Phylactery. Finding one will most likely be really difficult. I don't think SBS said anything about a specific location but I guess it will be in a cave/dungeon. Buying one is probably not the best idea because the seller knows your secret and it would be super expensive. If you really find a seller the exact price will be his decision. Beeing evil means to kill people, steal their things etc.. It will be more than difficult to be good again since you need to do evil things to stay alive.

I don't think it'll be as simple as finding special loot in a dungeon, unless the dungeon requires you to do horrible things in order to reach it, like bringing a certain amount of sacrifices.

Honestly that's probably what being a lich will be all about: having to destroy a massive amount of souls so that the entire server hates and fears you.

You know, because you're a dick who goes around destroying people's progress and making them buy a new spark.

3/23/2017 3:18:08 AM #13

Posted By Nagash at 09:36 AM - Wed Mar 01 2017

Being a lich doesn't mean you HAVE to be evil all the time, you have to be very dark aligned, but that can mean many things.... killing would be an obvious way to do it, but i'm sure there will be other ways as well

The reason i say this is because if your a lich, you don't have to be a solo player. A Lich will be VERY powerful, you are basically a "World Boss"... most people will want to kill you, sure... but there will be people who will rally behind you. Lich worshippers maybe? or maybe just friends you can trust, but you'll not get anywhere by killing everyone on sight.

Whats the best way to defend yourself against a Lich? Thats to be in their army.... any player who wants to be a Lich would want a massive evil army to control... and the more people you have defending you, the harder it is for the good players to kill you

That's another thing to consider: there has to be some mechanic in place to prevent, for example, a lich just being the most successful general in the game's history.

I don't think they could be very evil if they're even capable of allying with mortals.

Come to think of it, the Soulborn Engine is a thing- maybe the mere presence of a lich could negatively impact the "fate" of everyone around them.

7/27/2017 11:10:29 PM #14

All of this information you'll have to find out for yourself, but imagine how fun it will be, to explore and discover. I can't wait to go out in the wilds, find old ruins and explore all the forgotten things of Elyria.

7/27/2017 11:22:15 PM #15

Posted By Cradon at

So first of all, my dream is beeing a mage (probably a lot of people want this). There are two ways of becoming one: - Have the talent from the start, or - Find (or buy?) magical relicts and artifacts and become a "Lich". So my first question is, where can I find these relicts and artifacts to become a "Lich", or if i buy them, how expensive are they? My second question is, in the wiki a "Lich" is described as an evil person, so do you find these artifacts by beeing evil? What exatly means beeing evil? Killing people? And if i am evil to gain magic, can i, after gaining the magic, be good again? So this topic is all in all about becoming a "Lich" and how i can still be a good person.

Once you become a Lich, you will be a bloodluster and there will be no turning back. You'll also be KOS as Caspian once mentioned. Players will be hunting lich's and vampires. I hope you are ready, because not everyone is about that life.