COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[ SUGGESTION ] Restricted Character Creation

Hail.

Just passing on this idea for the devs.

Why not restrict character creation to a certain degree? Allow me to summarize my point with dots.

How character creation looks like :

• Choose a few traits your parents passed down to you such as genetic durability for cold / above average stamina.
  • You are automatically assigned to a random player's family (unless they turned it off
  • Choose your given name

What you will not have power over :

• Appearance / Ethnic / Gender / Birth-location, etc
  • Birth defects
  • Base stats / traits (if any)
  • Life expectancy (Natural death)
  • Base religion 

Why?

Because we can't choose who, when or where to be born. It allows players to have infinite refreshing experiences in-game. I'd really love to see this system in a game, especially a Role-playing based MMORPG. 

I apologize in advance if this had been posted and or thought of.

~Cheers

There was once a time, when only God had fire..

8/17/2015 6:38:27 PM #1

Cool idea. I definitely don't want to play as a female though. Since I'm a man in rl, I tend to just stick with playing males; a portrayal of myself if you will. So, I would definitely want to pick my gender.

8/17/2015 6:42:19 PM #2

I sugested this before, mostly for the appearance of your character... but ethnicity(religion), gender, and location should be a choice you make.  

I know many guys that would never want to play on a female character (and the other way around)

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/17/2015 6:46:46 PM #3

I don't actually have a problem with the gender randomness. I know many guys don't like playing female and vice-versa, but still. Same for religion, etnicity and location... Might actually be a different concept that breaks away from both "choose all" and "gender-locked-stuff". What some might contest now, might actually be a strong point down the road... Dunno. Just seems like a curious idea, that you can end up being a woman living in a dark corner of the world, or a guy living in the castle as a prince... Has a certain "fate" and "gamble" to it ^^ Maybe even have your life deeds ponder towards what ur reincarnation would be like :3

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

8/17/2015 6:48:01 PM #4

I know it sounds harsh but I was just going with the hardcore mentality.

Perhaps some features should be pre-determined but overall I enjoy the concept of randomized uncertainties.

8/17/2015 7:53:48 PM #5

I really, really like this idea +1 on that. 

8/17/2015 8:27:03 PM #6

I don't, whenever a topic of disucssion revolving immersion is brought up, there are two things that always have grey lines attached to the conversation

1. Whether or not something is too realistic and takes away from player freedom or hinders the player in some way through game play elements such as the aging process, permadeath, weather fatigues exc. which in some games the developers ruled those options out.
  2. And second, keeping in mind this is a new MMO there are certain factors on a thin line between something that is more realistic, immersive and more so, Mount and Blade-ish, or something more within the genre that the game 'is' which is an MMO.

I understand that this game wishes to be the most immersive MMO, and will, so far with the development decisions there are reasons to believe that the world will be quite dynamic.

But onto the your point and why those two points were brought up, is that, that's aiming for too realistic, too limiting, and is just something the developers won't do. Caspian stated in the DJ3 that if you're going to be playing with a character, you'd want to see dynamic effects on your character as they go out on adventures, age, die exc. I don't think he would take away your ability to:

1. customize your character
  2. experience the character you've created progress and develop over it's life. You will be playing on a character for somewhere from 10-16 months. The developers wouldn't have to play 10-16 months on someone who you didn't believe was what you wanted to be playing.

8/17/2015 8:30:07 PM #7

I understand people want the game to be a little hardcore, probably much more so than the actual developers, even though the developers have something of a more hardcore slate to start with, given what it's advertising.

But character creation is something, in an MMO, that is the FIRST THING a player will do, it's always the FIRST THING that critics and people who review video games judge, and is crucial for marketing and for the success of the game that it have some kind of character creation.

8/17/2015 8:35:17 PM #8

Very true, i normally spend hours creating my characters and always try to give them an unique look. 

for most mmos i even spend more time creating the character than actually playing the game (i normally get bored around the 3rd npc telling you go kill 10 rats)

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/17/2015 8:40:17 PM #9

But the beauty of this character creation could be the soul and not necessarily the body =3

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

8/17/2015 8:43:10 PM #10

Down the road as Lou (sorry, thats your nickname now Luccheno) said it will be a massive + to the game. 

8/17/2015 8:49:01 PM #11

There is already a random nature to character creation. We already know we can not choose the following:

• Which souls we have access to. Some players will gain access to souls that have a higher age then others.
  • Whether out soul will have a talent, which can have all sorts of impacts on game play.
  • What our characters destiny is, while we do pick their birthdate we do not know the effect it will have.
  • Life expectancy, it will be somewhere in a 30 year range.

I am not sure what actual benefit there is behind not allowing players to customise their characters. It to me feels like a gimic, something that sounds interesting and edgy but ultimate has no real impact. Well apart from a negative one for those that really enjoy that part of the creation.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/17/2015 8:51:46 PM #12

mostly true

the big + will be that there are not 5000 clones of pince charming running around

8/17/2015 8:52:37 PM #13

Then again it makes sense to make limitations based on there parents. 

8/17/2015 8:54:02 PM #14

This isn't a traditional MMORPG so I took the liberty of pushing character creation to its limits.

8/17/2015 8:54:08 PM #15

Did you not see today's developer journal? Prince charming is soon going to have the charm modified abit if he ends up going on a spirit walk. But adding the aging and scaring on top of our character creations there will inherently be some diversity.

Though I imagine this is the type of game that attracts those interested in making a more rugged character so it might be everyone goes out looking for scars!

"This isn't a traditional MMORPG so I took the liberty of pushing character creation to its limits."

For me it has taken away the 'creation' aspect entirely.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.