COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
A Wolf's Dream

A Wolf's Dream

"Bruéshmerzvir," Brother of the Dire Wolf. Kugis was inspecting the state of his bow at the mead hall's entrance as the word was whispered around him.

Bruéshmerzvir, a Brudvir with the soul of a Dire Wolf. A hunter who stands above the pack. Kugis' bow was a composite bow made from horn, wood, and sinew. It was a monster of a weapon being nearly as tall as Kugis himself unstrung.

When he positioned himself to string the bow, testing the string's length and integrity, the children crept close to watch in reverence and whisper to each other. Bruéshmerzvir was going out to hunt today. He would bring back great game for the pack which would feed many mouths, at least that was the hope everyone shared. Kugis unstrung his bow for now, before he hunted there were more important matters which required his attention.

Kugis stepped out into the biting winter cold. He was wrapped in layers of thick furs and under his skin layers of muscle and fat protected him as well, but even for all of that it was still a bitterly frigid wind which cut into the exposed flesh at his hands and on his face. The sun's first rays were beginning to crest on the horizon and the village was beginning to stir. The smell of roasting meat could just be detected wafting up from the houses towards the Alpha's mead hall. Kugis breathed it in deeply enjoying the rich yet simple scent. It was a good scent. A Brudvir scent.

He descended meeting women bringing water back up to the mead hall. In the village he could see a Hrothi trader had just opened up his covered wagon displaying food, fruits and vegetables, frozen in blocks of ice to keep them preserved during his journey. Inside the wagon hung shirts of mail and an array of finely crafted tools.

Kugis approached the Hrothi and addressed him, "Hail Meshringa, you've returned to us once again. What news do you bring from the wider world?"

Meshringa was preoccupied with arranging his display and did not respond immediately. "What would you like most to hear?"

Kugis approached the wagon and gripped the side of the wagon with both hands. "What can you tell us of the other packs you have visited?"

Meshringa was quiet for a moment and his movements became tense even jerky. He sat down and gazed at Kugis. "I do not have anything to do with the squabbles of your people. I never have and I never will."

"It is no offense or crime to anyone for a mann to tell of what he has seen or heard with his own eyes and ears. Who could take offense at the truth? What others do with your words is no responsibility of yours."

Meshringa closed his eyes and sighed deeply. "The people are hungry." He said finally. "There isn't enough game in the land for all the packs as it is and winter will soon be upon us."

Kugis' face hardened. "Go on."

"The Betas are grumbling, growling as you say. They complain that if nothing is done many will die in the coming months. They say that the young and the old will suffer the most from hunger," Meshringa confessed.

"What do they propose should be done," Kugis asked.

Meshringa smiled without humor. "What do the people of your pack propose?"

"War," Kugis said. "War is their answer. War is always their answer."

"Your people have grown too numerous for the land to support you," Meshringa observed. "I have brought food from the south, but it is not enough and for this." The Hrothi rested his hand on a tub of frozen vegetables. "The people must pay. It something the Brudvir are loathe to do for food I find."

"Thank you Meshringa," Kugis said and tossed him a coin.

Kugis' heart was heavy laden with the news he bore as he ascended the steps to the Alpha's mead hall once again. "War."

Kugis entered the mead hall and saw that the Alpha was now holding court. The aged and graying mann sat bent over on his throne and though his body was doubled his eyes belied the truth, his spirit had lost none of its potency. There was little enough to occupy his time. The Alpha himself sat silently while his advisors addressed the disputes and concerns laid before him. Finally, when all others had been heard Kugis approached the Alpha's throne.

"I have news of the other packs," Kugis began. "We all know that game is scarce. Soon it will be hard to even feed our children much less ourselves. The other packs are in the same predicament. They have begun to consider war."

"War," the Alpha said without emotion. The advisors stepped aside.

"Yes Alpha. It is only a matter of time before the stomachs of our kin become too loud and impatient. Hunger will drive the war. It cannot be avoided."

The Alpha nodded knowingly. "I have foreseen this day. When I was just a cub the packs had grown many in number. There were even more in those days than now, and war came. Bitter hatreds stirred up the packs and the clans. Our people fought and bled and died. Entire packs were wiped out. Villages razed to the ground." The old man raised his hands, shivering with age, into the air for dramatic effect. His voice rang with years. "Our village was fortunate. My father was a great hunter who lead our people through perilous times, and yet many had died." Again he gestured, but this time towards the earth. "After the war the game replenished. There was more than enough for everyone. So, things have finally come full circle." The old man began coughing and one of his advisors offered him a handkerchief which he took.

Then he continued in a much more serious tone. "So long as the Brudvir feud and raid and bicker pack against pack and clan against clan so long will we remain a little people, a silly people. So long as we continue to gaze ever inward we will continue to consume each other again and again as each generation has before us. Kugis, am I not your Alpha and your liege."

"You are," Kugis declared fiercely.

"Last night I had a dream," the Alpha continued. "There was a great wolf, a dire wolf. Around him were gathered Alphas of many packs. They stood upon a thundercloud and beneath the storm upon which they stood were twelve mountains over which they ruled."

Kugis nodded, "What does it mean?"

"I know not," the Alpha confessed. "But, you must look for a sign. You must travel into the north and undergo a sacred hunt. If you can bring me the pelt of an albino bear in three days and a week I will know that the spirits have blessed my sleep with this dream and that it has meaning. From now until then I shall meditate upon its interpretation."

"And if I cannot return," Kugis asked.

The Alpha laughed, "Then it was just a crazy dream."

Part II, A Wolf's Hunt

Part III, A Wolf's Storm

6/27/2017 5:20:36 PM #1

Love it , will there be " Great Hunt" story?

6/28/2017 1:16:57 AM #2

Posted By Mythos Cardan at 11:20 AM - Tue Jun 27 2017

It doesn't seem like there is any interest so I probably won't.

6/28/2017 1:19:45 AM #3

Posted By Barleyman at 8:16 PM - Tue Jun 27 2017

well I am interested, anyways if you have story to tell do it, some one might read it and enjoy it, especially if you enjoy writing it that is all that should matter

6/28/2017 1:47:17 AM #4

this was awesome

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

6/28/2017 2:10:13 AM #5

Posted By Mythos Cardan at 7:19 PM - Tue Jun 27 2017

Posted By Barleyman at 8:16 PM - Tue Jun 27 2017

well I am interested, anyways if you have story to tell do it, some one might read it and enjoy it, especially if you enjoy writing it that is all that should matter

Alright, you make a compelling case.

6/28/2017 11:55:55 AM #6

I'd be interested, that's a great story :)

Friend Code: B8ADDD

8/17/2017 12:02:32 AM #7

Finally wrote Part II.

A Wolf's Hunt

5/21/2018 1:52:16 AM #8

Part Three is out.

A Wolf's Storm