COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Exploration, the discovery of new lands and tribes

I have seen Q&As and developer journals that mention when anyone discovers a new tribe they will unlock them for anyone on the server.

My concern is this, based on the design philosophy of great stories for CoE, it seems a bit short sighted to make any new tribe discovered to become immediately available to everyone on the server. Instead, why not let the explorer bring his discovery back to his kingdom and with it the renown and glory of discovering a lost tribe/land. Then from a server perspective for a limited time (maybe a month real time) allow only people who have made the voyage to the new land able to populate NTCs from there. This will allow the explorers to make maps and people with boats able to make the voyage a new source of income as people would want to play these new tribes. Then after the set amount of time open it up to the server. This also kind of bleeds into the technology realm. Say Kingdom X spent a lot of research to develop ocean faring boats to explore for the new world, they find it and now everyone gets to benefit from their hard earned research. Seems a bit off.

My next thought comes in the form of explorers that find a new island/continent etc. and want to start a new village from scratch. Now lets assume they haven't "found" any natives where they settle. Would they be now independent until whatever king/duke/count finds them and demands they swear allegiance? What if they build up so big as to become a full fledged town? Would these villages/towns automatically be under the implicit contracts or laws of the kingdom?

I have been thinking on this for awhile now and was hoping to either get an answer if its already been discussed somewhere or have a good brainstorming session on what the community thinks about it. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

10/18/2017 8:03:45 PM #1

I too hope the Devs really think and consider the ramifications of just opening up new races for everyone. But I will bring up a few points that came to mind while thinking about this. First of off, there will be no global chat, so once a area/tribe is discovered it will not become public knowledge unless you want it to be. Perhaps your Guild will know and your Kingdom may know but if you don't post about it or open it up in Discord, it may remain a secret for a while.

Also I like the idea of not being able to create a character using a new tribe unless you make the trip to the area to unlock the ability. It would be strange indeed to make a new character and be transported to a area of the world I have never been to before.

Now I feel your fealty will depend on the individual player. Is he exploring for the Crown or is he just looking for a personal adventure? Will he claim the new land as part of his Kingdom or will he keep it a secret? These new areas are owned by other kingdoms and taking the land will not sit well with them. However if you keep a low profile you may be able to keep a small community secret, or you may pay a small tax to the new kingdom while staying loyal to your old one. There could be a few possibilities that could arise from this situation. Now I feel you won't be able to fight off the new kingdom once you are found out, especially being so far from home for support, so you need to find a unique solution for this situation.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

10/18/2017 8:37:53 PM #2

This is a pretty popular complaint from what I've seen.

With the current plan, I don't think anyone will invest in exploration nearly as much as they would have before. If anything, most kingdoms will just pool their resources elsewhere and wait to piggyback off of the kingdom that finds the other continent.