COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Concerned about shared content of the game.

Most MMOs allow all players to be able to access the same content no matter when they play the game and for how long. I can do most of the wow content right now that the initial players of the game did years ago. But, in CoE, the content is 'shared'. I believe is also time sensitive. If there was an attack on a village, then it happens in real time. If you are there, you can do something about it. If not, then you missed out on it.

Now, something like this is not really a problem since if i missed a village being attacked, then i can help rebuild it or witness another attack that i can part take in. But take for example exploration. The size of the map is finite. There are people out there that will play the game 8 hrs a day. There will be players (like me) that play an hour a day. How will i be able to explore something new?

Say for example there is a dragon on a mountain top. The players that put more hours into the game will have gone there before me and either slain the dragon or tame it, or whatever. The point is, when play the game say a month after launch, most places around my starting town will already be explored. Maybe the entire map in a few months. Any caves, ruins, etc. will already have been discovered. And the interesting story have already played out. Sure there will be some content that will wait for me and some are prolonged events, but still most will be "been there done that".

So if i go to a tavern and be like "I say a cool cave". Players will be all like "yea there was a giant snake there, took 10 fighters to kill it. You should of been there. it was epic...". And i will have to be content with just seeing an empty cave. Sure i will find something, i dont deny. But nothing like being the first person or the first 10 people to explore a mystic ruin temple. By the time i get to the temple, i missed out on the content.

I hope i painted a picture of what my concern really is. I want to know if anyone knows how these will me mediated by the developers. What am i missing? Or is that the way it is for this game? Please don't take this as an attack on our beloved game. I simply want to discuss this.

10/20/2017 2:07:05 PM #1

hrmmmm - when i joined this community i saw a conversation Caspian was having with some members of the community - it was in IRC i believe, and since i cannot recall the exact words, it went something along the lines of:

Caspian: well, we won't be having respawnable bosses

Player: wow - why not? - how will content be handled?

Caspian: there will be Bosses, say like a daemon in a cave, where it will take 20 adventurers to take it down - a solo player would die almost immediateley to him

Player: isn't that a bit stupid to have boss mobs so OP?

Caspian: isn't it a bit stupid to rush blindly into a cave not knowing what might be lurking in there?

+++ so this convo is in large part what drew me into CoE - finally a dev who gets that the story and the challenge/difficulty,is to many of us, far more attractive than running the same instance over and over 20 times killing the same mob to try and get '+5 bracers of fuckknowswhat'

given how in depth i see each aspect of the game being developed, for me i think one of the least of my concerns is that the devs/studio will allow for a situation where there are no bosses/content to take on - remember that it is a 10 year story line - and just because a particular daemon was killed in a specific cave, doesn't mean his brethren aren't gathering together to wreak some havoc and revenge

10/20/2017 2:31:39 PM #2

Well you gotta remember this map is going to be huge. With each county averaging half of skyrim. Personally I fast travelled in that game, just thinking about walking everywhere, without a map. Yeah it take ages to discover anything. So unless everyone will be making a map while exploring, which is doubtful. For the most part, you can't tell who has been where.

So even with your example of a cave. There will probably be heaps of caves in one county. So unless you can compare maps or there was something that stood out close by, how can you even tell it was the same cave? But even if it is the same cave, not like it would forever stay empty anyway. Anything could move in, be that player or animals.

But within all this, everything takes ages to do. Not like you can walk out from the town and just keep walking/running forever. You will have to stop. So doubtful things will even get discovered that fast. Besides being on the lookout for animals/people killing you.

You really can't compare this to any other MMO, cause it's too different. They are also too easy. New area opens up in WoW, people are so overgeared/fastest mount they steamroll everything within minutes. More you play it, the more you out gear everything around you. It won't be the case here. Besides the story is ever changing and growing. Unlike other MMOs where the quests only last so long, same with raids.

10/20/2017 3:06:47 PM #3

I have heard that if a place isn't visited in awhile, in time things can change. So that giant snake that you speak of that was slain long ago and his lair looted may have a giant bear move into it after awhile. And over time that cave will be forgotten about until someone else goes to visit again. Or something like that. In other words, the world isn't static.

10/20/2017 3:56:03 PM #4

Posted By RedDoggybone at 6:06 PM - Fri Oct 20 2017

I have heard that if a place isn't visited in awhile, in time things can change. So that giant snake that you speak of that was slain long ago and his lair looted may have a giant bear move into it after awhile. And over time that cave will be forgotten about until someone else goes to visit again. Or something like that. In other words, the world isn't static.

I'd like to add that some creatures are rightfully overpowered. You can't expect a Dragon to be killed by three people nor can you expect a Lich to instantly die. These creatures have earned their place in the world by one way or another, achieving their legendary status. Everything should be dangerous from a bandit to a Behemoth.

There was once a time, when only God had fire..

10/20/2017 4:21:30 PM #5

Unfortunately the only way around the issue is to turn CoE into a WoW style game, where everyone is the hero doing the same story.

In which case we might as well get refunds and go play WoW. :)

Not everyone will be the hero in CoE, nor will exploration be like wow where you can mount up, run through mobs and unlock areas on your map. You will need food, there'll be proper dangers in the wild, you'll need a safe place to set up camp and log out etc. If you want to map the area you'll need to bring a cartographer or learn cartography yourself, etc etc etc.

People will need the funding and resources/support to do big exploration goals, if that's your dream then perhaps look in to joining an exploration-focused organisation - then you'll have at least some access to support and resources for your limited playtime.

10/20/2017 4:52:06 PM #6

It's all about the individual experience, that's the whole point of the game. You & I are not supposed to experience the same encounters.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22281/the-kreuzstadt-campaign

10/20/2017 5:39:30 PM #7

Everyone else has covered most of the points i might have made.

But would also like to point out the soulborne engine.

is going to be giving you "quests" for lack of a better term.

Those quests will be unique to you, and thus your story that no one else experiences. The engine is supposed to take in to account what skills you are actively building.

So if your training survival, cartography, and some combat.

It will likely give you exploration or maping quests. ect

Again using the term quest very lightly here.

10/20/2017 11:32:16 PM #8

Rasigan, I had the same concern that players that join CoE later will not have the same experiences as the Founders. However Caspian did say in one of the Discord Chats that just because you clear a cave of a monster, that doesn't prevent a different monster from claiming the same cave now that it is empty, or perhaps more than one. The world will be every changing, so a empty cave today may have to be cleared tomorrow. And with the ability to drop in content without ever bringing the servers down you will never actually know when the content is introduced, so the world will definitely feel like it is alive.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

10/21/2017 1:48:25 AM #9

To add to what Blankwindow was saying, I have also seen Caspian talk about 'quests' to earn favor and the example he used was to earn favor with your parents so that they are given more incentives to give you an inheritance after they pass away (NPCs I assume). Then there will be around your settlement who may need help in one way or another and, as you grow older, more difficult things will be given or you will gain a job.

I think of it more like "tasks" rather than quests because you can be a NEET if you want, but you prob won't get far.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

10/21/2017 3:19:46 PM #10

Thanks guys. I appreciate the response.