COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Wheel of Time live reading!

Greetings Elyrians, Norenna here.

For anyone who has been following CoE, you may know Caspian has mentioned that the game has been strongly influenced by Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. I and others in the community had just finished the first book written in the series and now are moving on to the second book! Thus continuing the community Wheel of Time live reading! Below are the details,

Book: “The Great Hunt”

Author: Robert Jordan

Date(s): April 27th & 28th

Time: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST (11 am AEST Saturday and Sunday's)

Chapters Goals: Friday = 1 -2 / Saturday = 3 -4

So dust off your books and join in. We will be taking volunteers as well for reading, one volunteer per chapter and ideally one for backup if someone does not show up.

See you there!

1/27/2018 2:02:46 PM #1

Very enjoyable fantasy series. Quite long but in my opinon well worth getting into the story. It has some similar aspects in terms of plot to the Lord of the Rings where you have a cast of different protagonist characters working against an Evil threatening to swallow the whole world and its disunited nations.

Having read it back in the day it's neat to see the parts of CoE that take inspiration from it.

1/27/2018 2:05:07 PM #2

Cool idea! I remember reading the series as a teen. It's also how I discovered my favorite author and book series--Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson. I'll definitely be tuning in.

Friend Code: CB1D33

1/27/2018 3:18:41 PM #3

This was definitely one of the better series I've read, and to hear it's influenced CoE significantly gives me some ideas regarding what kinds of story hooks we're going to see when the servers go up. Awesome idea for a community activity. You're in for a long (very long) journey, but it's well worth the read.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

1/27/2018 3:52:22 PM #4

I loved the first 3 or so books and the last ones written by Sanderson were entertaining but omg, the braid tugging and male bashing got to be too much for me in the middle 5 or 6 books. The way NO man was competent enough to accomplish anything at all without a strong woman telling him what to do also got very old. Especially when the women doing the telling often acted like petulant love sick teenagers. And this is from someone who loves strong female lead characters.

But the worst was how Jordan got into page long descriptions of rooms, clothing, locations or people that will never be seen again. "The room was green, Not just any green but a shade of green greener than any shade of green ever seen. She hated green." How the plot crawled to a stand still for those 5 or 6 books.

But thats just me. Many people love the series and I am sure this will be a fun event. Maybe if someone read the books to me after the first ones I would like it better. But I am a much bigger fan Of Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth"series. Or of course George Martin. If he would write a book more than once every 6+ years that is.

On a side note, it seems the Jordan books are coming to tv sometime down the road.

Wheel of time to tv

Now that I am hyped for as I am sure the boring stuff will be edited out.

1/27/2018 3:55:15 PM #5

awesome! i'm not into reading books on my own, but i've heard over and over how coe has drawn inspiration from this series, so naturally i've been very interested in them. i would likely never start reading them myself, so this could be a great opportunity for me.

i will certainly try to attend the readings, even if i miss parts. i hope that you get skilled readers and select them carefully. i mean no offense to anyone who isn't a skilled reader, but it makes all the difference to those listening.

cheers.

archer, tamer, survivalist, monster hunter, protector of the weak || duchy of aravier, kingdom of alésia, « næ

1/27/2018 4:49:19 PM #6

Posted By RedDoggybone at 09:52 AM - Sat Jan 27 2018

But the worst was how Jordan got into page long descriptions of rooms, clothing, locations or people that will never be seen again. "The room was green, Not just any green but a shade of green greener than any shade of green ever seen. She hated green." How the plot crawled to a stand still for those 5 or 6 books.

Sums up why I stopped reading that series. Jordan had a fixation with the irrelevant and uninteresting.

But I am a much bigger fan Of Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth"series. Or of course George Martin. If he would write a book more than once every 6+ years that is.

Me as well. I really enjoyed the Sword of Truth series, but Goodkind's writing became very formulaic with rare (and entertaining) deviations that would recapture my interest.

You're absolutely right about George Martin. He's probably the best fantasy writer of my lifetime, and I'd place him right beside Tolkein in the fantasy genre. His timeline mangling in the latter books not withstanding. He's taking longer and longer with each book too. His first 3 he published 2 years apart. Then it was 5 years. Then 6 years. He's at 7 and counting now. I've forgotten where the story left off. Sad.

1/27/2018 5:04:15 PM #7

@Hieronymus. Don't want to hijack the Op's thread but I agree with everything you said.

1/27/2018 7:46:54 PM #8

Love the series and this sounds like fun. I'll try to join in

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

1/28/2018 3:00:26 AM #9

NVM I don't have the books available to live read...

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

2/3/2018 2:09:26 AM #10

As promised here is the ePub, which has no digital rights reserved, and is free to share.

epub book

2/3/2018 2:10:03 AM #11

Posted By Odsbodikins at 10:00 PM - Sat Jan 27 2018

NVM I don't have the books available to live read...

check my previous post, and it is virus free just an epub, you can use a reader or place it in your galaxy phones or iphones and shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to use it, I do not have time to provide full technical support for each platform, but if anyone is severely unable to use it/read it I will help you on as needed basis, just find me on discord or in here.

2/3/2018 2:50:25 AM #12

We started reading the original first book's prologue where it is the

"breaking of the world"

Eye of the world

here is the map :

Wheel Of time Map

The story starts in Edmonds field here :

Edmonds field

2/3/2018 2:55:32 AM #13

Posted By Hieronymus at 11:49 AM - Sat Jan 27 2018

Posted By RedDoggybone at 09:52 AM - Sat Jan 27 2018

Sums up why I stopped reading that series. Jordan had a fixation with the irrelevant and uninteresting.

But I am a much bigger fan Of Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth"series. Or of course George Martin. If he would write a book more than once every 6+ years that is.

Me as well. I really enjoyed the Sword of Truth series, but Goodkind's writing became very formulaic with rare (and entertaining) deviations that would recapture my interest.

You're absolutely right about George Martin. He's probably the best fantasy writer of my lifetime, and I'd place him right beside Tolkein in the fantasy genre. His timeline mangling in the latter books not withstanding. He's taking longer and longer with each book too. His first 3 he published 2 years apart. Then it was 5 years. Then 6 years. He's at 7 and counting now. I've forgotten where the story left off. Sad.

I was a BIG fan and purchased all these books multiple times because I literally should share them constantly. (Sword of Truth series.)

2/4/2018 2:03:23 AM #14

Back again with day 2 starting with chapter 3 and onwards. All are welcome, come and enjoy !

2/4/2018 1:43:35 PM #15

lol loved this series when i was a kid and read them all.

will have to agree that he made it harder and harder to read the books after book 4 hell book 3 had its moments.

but book 1 and 2 are pure gold.

i am both excited & totaly scared about the TV adaption...

i saw that that did with the Sword of truth TV serise... taking down the barrier with catapults!!! WTF

also the Chronicles of Shana ..... OMG they just had to feminise it... Choosing the Chosen was a simple act of standing under the tree for it to touch your shoulder not some male misogynistic sporting event. so female chosen are picked in every generation....

also wtf is up with there depiction of trolls... please god dont make trolloic's look that lame!

so i truly hope who ever take on the TV title learns a lessen from GOT.... why not perfectly aligned with the story it is close enough to be a good watch.

but i would hope they keep the causal nudity out of it there only a few scenes where it makes sense for it but yes those are mainly in book 4 up...

that all being said this thread and the TV news has drawn me into re reading book one again.

picked it up and suddenly i find my self on page 130ish....

i highly recomend reading the first 2 books for any one who likes good fantasy fiction novels. go past that at your own risk and will knowledge that you may need to skip over alot of descriptions of dresses and some of the silliest women you will meet who think they actualy smart LMAO

dont get me wrong some like Morine are very smart but yes the others arh they need more training it seems :)

still i dont regret reading it only that it had to end. but all good series must come to end some time i guess

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X