COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Taxation

Is taxation something people would like to see in a game for someone that holds a King role or such? With taxation would there also be Player Run guards or just NPC guards? Sorry for short post, this is my first one so I'm not sure what else to talk about yet.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

3/4/2018 3:53:53 PM #1

Hey Ghostly,

Taxation is absolutely a thing in CoE. Everything in CoE is player run, there is no automation. I would be happy to speak with you more and answer any questions you have.

Corialli, Count of Louise

3/4/2018 4:09:16 PM #2

Taxation is a cornerstone of this game

3/4/2018 4:17:30 PM #3

As others have said, taxation is huge for each kingdom. Whether you are raising crops, you are taxed on the land, if you own a shop, you are taxed on the space in the city. If you manage a settlement as a Mayor, taxes are collected and pass up to the Count, which is responsible to pass them to the Duke which passes them to the King or Queen. I am sure the percentage passed up gets smaller for each stop, each taking their part out of the taxes, but yes taxes are paid to the King. Out of these taxes improvements are made along the way, to settlements, roads, new settlements, and the like. And of course they are used to pay for the military and training. So are taxes a thing, you bet your bottom dollar they are.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/5/2018 5:18:42 AM #4

Posted By Sullen at 11:17 AM - Sun Mar 04 2018

As others have said, taxation is huge for each kingdom. Whether you are raising crops, you are taxed on the land, if you own a shop, you are taxed on the space in the city. If you manage a settlement as a Mayor, taxes are collected and pass up to the Count, which is responsible to pass them to the Duke which passes them to the King or Queen. I am sure the percentage passed up gets smaller for each stop, each taking their part out of the taxes, but yes taxes are paid to the King. Out of these taxes improvements are made along the way, to settlements, roads, new settlements, and the like. And of course they are used to pay for the military and training. So are taxes a thing, you bet your bottom dollar they are.

To this I have a question that you might like. With taxation, who will be the collectors? Will it be automated or will it be by guards of the Kingdom?

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

3/5/2018 5:31:07 AM #5

Posted By Ghostly at 9:18 PM - Sun Mar 04 2018

... To this I have a question that you might like. With taxation, who will be the collectors? Will it be automated or will it be by guards of the Kingdom?

There is a player character profession called "Tax Collector" listed in the Player Profession Poll link. Is this a sufficient answer to your question?

3/5/2018 9:10:01 AM #6

If i remember correctly one of the devs mentions having to guard the tax collected as nothing spawns/disappears in the world. This allows for new potential stories to evolve.

3/5/2018 10:24:53 AM #7

Posted By Poldano at 12:31 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

Posted By Ghostly at 9:18 PM - Sun Mar 04 2018

... To this I have a question that you might like. With taxation, who will be the collectors? Will it be automated or will it be by guards of the Kingdom?

There is a player character profession called "Tax Collector" listed in the Player Profession Poll link. Is this a sufficient answer to your question?

Very true. We - as players - will be collecting taxes. Now the tricky part will be if taxes aren't coin based payments. I can't imagine the size of the caravan that would have to transport bushes of crops, meat, ore, lumber, etc... Coin would make it so much easier.

Alt text - can be left blank

3/5/2018 2:57:31 PM #8

Yes, we'll be paying taxes whether it is a pc or npc collector, it could be either depending on how rough people are being on the tax collectors in an area I suppose. Taxes like all currency or goods are physical items in the world so they will need to be guarded either by players or npcs as they are on their way to be delivered. Again depending on how rough people in the area have been on the tax collectors. If you live in a peaceful county where everyone is a team player then maybe you just need an npc collector to take their wagon around, if you live in an area with bandits or people who refuse to pay then you might need to send some guards as backup.

3/5/2018 6:15:11 PM #9

Posted By Matriarch at 02:10 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

If i remember correctly one of the devs mentions having to guard the tax collected as nothing spawns/disappears in the world. This allows for new potential stories to evolve.

Absolutely. The world is based around limited resources. Once all the gold is mined and turned into coins, that's it, no more coins until you find more gold or melt other gold back down. And those coins exist "physically" in a chest or pockets and can absolutely be stolen.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

3/5/2018 7:23:51 PM #10

Posted By BioRules at 12:15 PM - Mon Mar 05 2018

Absolutely. The world is based around limited resources. Once all the gold is mined and turned into coins, that's it, no more coins until you find more gold or melt other gold back down. And those coins exist "physically" in a chest or pockets and can absolutely be stolen.

Or alchemy invents transmutation.. or someone receives a "midas touch"-esque talent. :D

3/5/2018 7:34:15 PM #11

Posted By gtox at 1:23 PM - Mon Mar 05 2018

Posted By BioRules at 12:15 PM - Mon Mar 05 2018

Or alchemy invents transmutation.. or someone receives a "midas touch"-esque talent. :D

Oh that guy would get murdered...

3/6/2018 6:07:41 AM #12

Posted By Esoba at 02:24 AM - Mon Mar 05 2018

... Now the tricky part will be if taxes aren't coin based payments. I can't imagine the size of the caravan that would have to transport bushes of crops, meat, ore, lumber, etc... Coin would make it so much easier.

And so much easier and more worthwhile to steal.

3/6/2018 10:11:36 AM #13

It seems that a few misconceptions are spreading here.

Yes we will all be subject to taxation, but it is our duty to pay tax. How it will work is that there will be tax collection device (a chest, strong box or something the like) where you go and pay your tax.

The authorities will have a system to track who paid or not their tax, if you have not paid your tax, it is the duty of the authorities to collect what you ow, they can then send you a tax collector to collect from you your tax or seize enough of your properties to match the value of what you ow.

Once the tax are in the tax collection device they stay there till they are picked by those with access to it and transferred elsewhere.

As tax result are physical, they can be taken either in the tax collection device or during the transfer from it to elsewhere.

But the main thing to remember here is that it is you who have to pay the tax not the authorities that will request them from you. If they have to collect them from you they will issue a bounty token and give it to a tax collector, you'll then be as close as a criminal as it is possible.

3/7/2018 1:46:04 AM #14

So there will need to be transporters and tax collectors?

It sounds like there is a big difference. Either way, when it comes to the taxes, anyone transporting goods or coins in such an amount will need to be protected.

3/7/2018 2:12:50 AM #15

Yes there will need to be a lot of transporters in the game, and caravan guards, a physical economy with no instant mail or transport means everything you want has to be brought from somewhere