COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Learning Blender/Sword request

Hello fellow members of the CoE communty. Over the past week I've been teaching myself Blender through the use of Youtube. This has been a lot of fun and I've learnt a lot. However this does leave huge gaps in my knowledge and leaves me open to picking up peoples bad habits from the tutorials or videos i watch. There are also huge parts of the program i don't understand, and trying to google what i'm looking at without knowing the lingo is mind bending.

I was wondering if anyone out there who has knowledge of this program and knows a good online resource where i can learn, while doing projects (and doesn't cost money, because everything wants money of you these days) Some of the stuff I've created so far with YouTube and the stuff I've picked up is posted below. Happy to accept any instructive criticism people may have that can help me improve. Even more so when it comes to the use of nodes when applying textures. As you can see with the sword, it's been left looking rather cartoon like and not as realistic as i would of liked.

Lastly, speaking of swords. If a dev happens to read this at any point and wants to be super nice. I would love a picture of the sword you have up on the wall of your streaming room. That would be fun to model.

Pictures and GIFS start now, Turn back if your internet sucks:

Alt text - can be left blank

Alt text - can be left blank (gonna be honest, i hate this picture. Couldn't figure out why i hated it though)

These are a few of the things I've finished so far with the help of tutorials. Any help people can offer would be awesome. Thank you.

Count Lusafar Skovgaard.

5/24/2018 3:23:38 PM #1

Hey man, first of all, I don't often use blender, instead I prefer using Autodesk Maya, therefore I can't say precisely if they have the same resources. Anyway, you said you're not satisfied with your texturing, so I'll try to tell you what I think might be the problem. First, to ensure the texture can be seen at its best, make sure that it's UV mapping is "perfect" (the process in which you separate the parts of a mesh and "open" them in order to easily fit into the texture. Can be a bit annoying and time consuming). Then, you could try to add more details to the texture. For example, the color of the leather in your sword's grip look a bit blank, with a single brown color. I recommend using the software Substance from Allegorithmic to paint details into your sword, such as wrinkles, marks, imperfections, grooves, cracks etc. If you can't use Substance, maybe you could make these details in Photoshop, but that would be much much harder. Additionally, try darkening the overall colors. Especially the yellow and the brown look to bright. Last but not least, (and just as a personal opinion) the size (big) and bright color of the ruby might be contributing to the unrealistic feeling. Maybe put the ruby embedded inside a round, metallic pommel?

Speaking of the other works, the table, even if it's polished, (assuming it's be made out of wood, if it's glass than ignore that) is way too reflexive. Try changing its material (from Blinn to Lambert or Phong for example) or adjusting the reflexion/opacity. In the shield, my thought was Multiplying the wolf/raven texture with a wood texture in Photoshop. It would create a feeling that the symbol was painted in the shield's wood, instead of just applied to its material.

So, thats my opinion man, your art looks great, keep up the good work!

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

5/24/2018 3:40:28 PM #2

Posted By lusafar at

Lastly, speaking of swords. If a dev happens to read this at any point and wants to be super nice. I would love a picture of the sword you have up on the wall of your streaming room. That would be fun to model.

You mean this sword? Definitely this one

• Snipehunter
5/24/2018 4:47:29 PM #3

Posted By Snipehunter at 08:40 AM - Thu May 24 2018

Posted By lusafar at

You mean this sword?

You're awesome Snipe, I had wanted to see what that sword looked like as well.

5/24/2018 5:16:35 PM #4

I taught myself Blender in a few days back in the day using Blender 3D: Noob to Pro, I'd highly recommend it.

5/26/2018 11:05:18 PM #5

Nice little add on there snipe... the image text reads "for stabbing in the hurty bits".

and here I was thinking more letter opener, or stick sharpener...off hand mirror, hammer in training, back/butt scratchier.

huh, wonder if anyone ever used the pommel design as an insignia or seal for authenticating paperwork out in the field.

5/28/2018 9:29:49 PM #6

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:40 PM - Thu May 24 2018

Posted By lusafar at

You mean this sword?

Amazing. Thank you Snipe. Just what i needed.

5/28/2018 9:31:18 PM #7

Posted By Tiffany at 6:16 PM - Thu May 24 2018

I taught myself Blender in a few days back in the day using Blender 3D: Noob to Pro, I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for that Tiffany. That's really going to help me out.